Notices

you can change

Old 01-10-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
waking down

you can change

I hear a lot of people saying they don't think they can change, but you can. We all can. It's called neuroplasticity. Not only can you change your mind, you can change your brain. Do a web search forneuroplasticity and addiction and read about it.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awww! Thanks for the post!
Xoxo
Will check it out!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anyone can change at anytime
Old 01-10-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah...I agree Wolf but it is a LOT harder for some than for others.

This I know to be true.

DD
Old 01-10-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
I hear a lot of people saying they don't think they can change, but you can. We all can. It's called neuroplasticity. Not only can you change your mind, you can change your brain. Do a web search forneuroplasticity and addiction and read about it.
I love this. Dr. Joe Dispenza is my favorite author/ speaker on the subject. Are you familiar with his work?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Big fan of neuroplasticity. I ought to make more use of it!

Consistent daily practice ...
Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestion. That is some pretty interesting stuff.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Totally agree! Neuroplasticity was once thought only to occur in childhood. So glad that science has found that can occur with adults also. Yay brain!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I love this. Dr. Joe Dispenza is my favorite author/ speaker on the subject. Are you familiar with his work?
Hadn't her of Dr. Dispensary. I'll check it out.

I've read some of Rick Hanson's books, though. See Dr. Rick Hanson
Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sunflower-if you were to buy a download of Dr Joe, which one would you buy? Looking at the meditation one that has morning and night meditation $11.99. First time I've heard of any if this. Looking into it right now! Thank you guys!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Sunflower-if you were to buy a download of Dr Joe, which one would you buy? Looking at the meditation one that has morning and night meditation $11.99. First time I've heard of any if this. Looking into it right now! Thank you guys!
Let me take a look at them- I have one of his meditations and I LOVE it but it's way too long (over an hour). I will check them out and get back to you! He is amazing. If you can subscribe to GAIA tv (on Roku) you can watch all his seminars and shows. I believe you can get the first month for 99 cents...
Old 01-11-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hadn't her of Dr. Dispensary. I'll check it out.

I've read some of Rick Hanson's books, though. See Dr. Rick Hanson
Cool, just signed up for his newsletter, thanks for sharing!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On a similar note, I'm reading a very interesting book at the moment about the psychology of changing the dynamics of a romantic relationship or marriage called Getting The Love You Want by Harville Hendrix. He believes that people can change their behaviour by getting their conscious decision-making brain to co-ordinate better with our instinctive sub-conscious brain. The theory seems plausible. There are some exercises to try as well which are illuminating.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
I think the morning and evening ones sound great. Let me know how they are, I might get them myself. I have the "Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself" mp3s. They are so effective if you can devote an hour a day to them (you can listen while falling asleep). I have seen change within myself even after the first time I listened.

He is a superstar- had an accident and injured his spinal cord and was told he wouldn't be able to walk again. Using meditation and visualization he healed himself one vertebrae at a time. He believes we can change ourselves from the inside out and it's all a matter of changing out habits, the way we think, our beliefs etc. Mind blowing and yet so simple...
Old 01-11-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Zero. This makes so much sense! I like the analogy of the link between drinking and the pleasure center of our brain is a well worn road. We can create new roads to the pleasure center, but the old road will not go away. We just can't travel it again or we can get caught in one of its ruts.

Great stuff.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Sunflower and everyone!

Another new thing I'm trying is an MP3 of Stop Drinking Alcohol hypnosis. First I thought a little hokey (or maybe not enough meat in it). The more I listen more I like. I know I've said all of this a few times now! Just having a real voice talking in my earphones is nice. I told my husband I doubt my mind could be hypnotized because my mind goes a million miles an hour. I wasn't concerned about it tho. The tape helps you relax also. So anyway... At the end of the tape he counts you back up to five. At five you are to awaken. I listened a lot in the middle of the night, am or pm before bed. Lately, three times I have "fallen asleep" and woken up wide awake when he says 5! Wow! I think I've been hypnotized! Bought this from selfhypnosis.com ($15). Lots of topics on this site. Think I'll get positive thinking next.

So.... I keep playing the tape thru. I don't have the urge like I used to. So far no real battles. I know they can knock your feet out from under you real fast tho. So JL, picture in your mind your drinking. It starts off like boy I'm just gonna get a little buzz and relax. Next thing you know little buzz becomes big buzz and then drunken buzz. Then you're (we) are passed out drunk, missing good things in life, hiding booze for later, guzzling booze to feed this addiction, etc. Like a hamster on a wheel! I realize that I'm not capable of stopping at a couple of relaxing wines. Sux but true.

On a positive note.... Play the positive tape all the way thru. I stayed sober, remember going to be, didn't crash a wine glass and break it, didn't wake up with night sweats, no anxiety or panic, no drunken posts, no waking up with dread that I did it again and having to piece to previous night together, etc.

This is a great class. Together we can help each other thru this madness! I feel great! Looking forward to enjoying my life. Praying that I (we) stay strong.

Olivia

JL. Prayers for your father-in--law and you and the whole family.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Olivia, I love hypnosis and have used Eric Brown in the past but that one sounds great. I am always looking for new ones. And yes, isn't it amazing that you wake up at the right time? That means it's working. Going to check it out, thanks for sharing!

I am also seeing a hypnotist and have already had one session. I believe it is part of the reason I am 5 days sober.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great post!!