Notices

Root Cause

Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Root Cause

I have been suffering from anxiety since I was a child. My mother was my example and I worried about everything. As an adult, I thought it was normal to feel the panic and anxiety with every little thing that went wrong or I perceived was wrong.

Fast forward to my second marriage to an emotionally and verbally abusive dry drunk. Every day was like walking in a minefield. I began to have some problems at work and was not sleeping, so I'd have a drink, usually a shot or two of vodka or tequila. When the work situation became unbearable, I sought help. I remember being concerned about the drinking every night and told my therapist. He said, "So you found your drug of choice". I wanted help but felt he was giving me the OK to continue drinking.

To this day, anxiety is my trigger and I am thankful that my current physician is helping me,as is my therapist. I must learn how to deal with the feeling of impending doom, without resorting to alcohol.

I wrote this because I see so many people experiencing anxiety when they stop drinking and wonder if perhaps part of it is the root cause for drinking in the first place.

Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

Read Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Mindfulness and meditation have decreased my anxiety by probably 90% over the past couple of years. Not kidding. I was a mess.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was one of the main factors for me starting to drink, for sure.
Unfortunately in the end drinking just made things worse.

My anxiety is the least it's ever been now thanks to recovery and really working at the problem, not avoiding it by drinking

D
Old 01-10-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to numb myself so I wouldn't feel the crushing depression and anxiety of my life. But alcohol makes anxiety worse. Once I got sober, my meds worked as they should and the depression and anxiety are a lot better.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Initially, anxiety was the cause for my drinking. Over time, drinking became the cause of my anxiety.

Booze definitely destabilizes our moods. Better off without it for sure.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fear and anxiety I would say defiantly helped with the alcohol problem. But in the you forget whether it's the drink coursing the anxiety or if the anxiety was always there, sort of like the chicken and the egg scenario....
Old 01-11-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke to a Dr ?