Notices

Greetings

Old 01-09-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings

Hi everybody. First post and I'm on day 13. No wait, I had one drink on NYE so I'm on day 9. I turned 50 in November and always drank regularly, no real horror stories but definitely some regrets. I kind of don't feel like I'll never drink again, but know that I should work on being sober one day at a time. My focus for 2016 is family and to get in shape (want to lose about 35 pounds).

Anyway I decided to post because for the first time I'm having strong cravings today. There's a bottle of vodka my wife bought in the house and 8 beers. NFL playoffs starts soon so those would be nice.
Are there particular threads members go to when the urge to drink hits?

Well writing this has helped, I'm going to go lift some weights and then get on the exercise bike. I'm enjoying this sober life so far and want to keep it up. I know I'll be happier tomorrow and everyday.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some of the others may have some links, stay strong bud and I always say play the tape through as we know what happens when we pick that first one up, at least in my case I do.

Welcome to the forum, sometimes in early recover many of us avoid high risk situations to protect our sobriety, does your wife know you are working on quitting?

It's always good to have a plan in place to stay sober, I have built up resources and do things should a craving or feeling be bothering me, usually a walk with my dog unless it's a storm, I have made friends that do not drink so I can hang out with them as well.

I wish you the very best
Andrew
Old 01-09-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Andrew. My wife just thinks I'm on a health kick, I never discussed what I've been going through. My father passed last month and maybe I used that as an excuse to drink a lot.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The two threads I can think of for support are the Class of January thread in Newcomers, and the 24 hour recovery connections thread in Daily Support forum. Both of those are good for getting and giving support.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-thread.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-98-a.html
Old 01-09-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm with Andrew. There was no alcohol around to tempt me which helped.
Out of curiosity - why didn't you tell your wife?
Old 01-09-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome JCNY
Old 01-09-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
I'm with Andrew. There was no alcohol around to tempt me which helped.
Out of curiosity - why didn't you tell your wife?
I guess I don't want to feel weak and she's never expressed concern about my drinking. I'm more comfortable to tell her "honey I haven't had a drink in xx days" as opposed to saying that my drinking became a problem.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was lucky to not have alcohol in the house either. I'm not a football fan but there are those long winter nights when sleep just doesn't come and I was thankful to not have the temptation.

You might be surprised that your wife might not see you as 'weak', rather that it would give her the opportunity to support you.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're right Anna, I'm sure it's just my perception of weakness. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here are some good SR links, JCNY:

url]http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/306122-carolds-tips-cravings.html[/url]

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 01-09-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

. . . . and welcome go SR; glad you found us.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. I hope you can get some help here. If you are worried about your drinking, you should know it is very, very difficult to be sober with booze in the house. If you want to give sobriety a shot you should get rid of the temptation. We wish you the best. John
Old 01-09-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Got a PM from somebody with tips on coping with cravings and thanks for the links above too. Although I'm trying to lose weight, eating helps me stave off cravings because I don't like to drink on a full stomach...especially beer.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, JC. I'm really glad you're taking a look at what drinking's doing to your life & health. Being here really helps with the anxiety we feel when we first quit. It's good you're exercising & distracting yourself - very important early on.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think it is a sign of strength to admit that something in your life is causing you problems and you are going to stop. If you tell your wife that you haven't had a drink in xx days it's obviously a problem or else you wouldn't be counting the days. Most people drink on occassions and don't nwed to try to stop. Haha. It just sounds silly.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome JCNY, congratulations on taking the first steps towards a sober life.

SR itself is a sensational tool and distraction for when the urge strikes - reading the various threads and even posting yourself about how you're feeling or your experiences can be of tremendous assistance. Another thing that has worked for me in the past, you're doing it already - working out, or just keeping physically active, is a tremendous distraction, and doubles up in terms of benefits as it will also assist you in reaching your goal for 2016!

Looking forward to hearing more from you, please check in regularly to tell us how you're going.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
I guess I don't want to feel weak and she's never expressed concern about my drinking. I'm more comfortable to tell her "honey I haven't had a drink in xx days" as opposed to saying that my drinking became a problem.
JCNY, I have been thinking about this post and take this for what it's worth, leave the rest at the door. I look at alcoholism as a sickness for which there is no absolute cure, kind of like cancer, we do however have the power to put it into remission, permanently. It is really up to us and like cancer if we come out of remission (relapse) it will spread and we have no idea how far. I am of the mind this AV we have wants our life but it first destroys everything we have around us. So I do not see it as a weakness.

You should do what you are comfortable with, for me my better half if fully aware as are people that are really close to me, Andrew can not touch alcohol. It brings relief and support in my experience.

I wish you the very best in your journey.

Andrew
Old 01-09-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, it's only been a short time but life is good. My wife has been under the weather so it's been just me taking my daughter to school, friend's houses, band rehearsals etc. 9PM pick up - no problem...stone sober
Old 01-09-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stay strong JC
Old 01-09-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to have you with us JCNY

D