Notices

catching myself

Old 01-09-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

catching myself

Tonight I'm on day 10 sober and I'm craving suddenly really badly. I had to catch myself making excuses to go out alone so as to buy alcohol in secret. I'm not going to do it as I've managed to catch myself at it and force some rational thought into my head but I'm surprised I'm suddenly craving so much. I thought I was doing fine. In the past I've only really managed to go 2 weeks or a little under before I cave in and perhaps this is what happens at this stage for me. I know if I'd been home alone tonight I would have gone and bought alcohol and gotten drunk.

I need a strategy to deal with this!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Remind yourself that sobriety is your priority. Distract yourself until the craving goes away. When I was in early days I used to walk my dogs when I had a craving. They got a lot of walks and I stayed sober. Do whatever it takes to get your mind off of drinking.

Congrats on ten days sober!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That happened to me last night! Out of the blue and took me by surprise. I tried playing the tape through, HALT, surfing and all of the technics I've learned, but the AV was really loud. I ate a bunch of chocolate and drank a large vitamin water. Not a healthy answer, but it worked. Hang in there!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Remember where it takes us Solo....try & think back to the last couple of drunks that brought you here & know you are not alone!
Old 01-09-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same here solow. I'm on day 15 here and I'm just starting to get that voice in my head. I did 6 weeks before xmas then cracked. It's difficult, but so many people on here have done it, so I'm damn well going to too. I will not pick up that first drink again. Sending you the strength to do (or should I say not do) the same solow.)
Old 01-09-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips, I'm just distracting myself with mindless tv until its time to go to bed and tomorrow is another day.

Oddly enough benice I also managed to help it abate a bit by drinking a fizzy drink which I don't normally do. My brother who is also in recovery drinks huge amounts of tea and coffee these days and I'm starting to do the same. I suppose it helps in the same way chewing gum helps some smokers quit smoking!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found my cravings subsided completely again today thank goodness! If they follow that pattern and are only bad for a couple of days then I know I can deal with it. Is this what happened to anyone else in the early days of sobriety?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mine didn't really follow any pattern solow - the important thing was I learned I could get through them without drinking and be ok

D
Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Solow!!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Our AV plays hard ball the first few weeks trying everything to get us to drink again, it does settle down however we have to be mindful for the rest of our sober lives it is cunning in that it will try everything, just fight it off and it goes away. Good work so far!!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Solow