Welcome to SR tobesobercelt

D
Old 01-10-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, Week one over, Very proud of myself
Old 01-10-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tobesobercelt View Post
Thanks Sean30, Its good to get the support of people, I have not told anyone I've gone sober yet, not even my wife, we havent even talked in the past week all my fault of course but I'm sure she knows something is up when I have not had a drink in the past week and all weekend, I'm not doing this for her or why we are not talking, I'm doing this for me because I have finally woke up and realised that I can;t do this anymore. I know I have a long long way to go my father is a recovering alchoholic and has been sober for the past 10 years a few slip ups along the way.. So he is my inspiration
Congrats on the weekend! I'm on weekend two. Lucky though, I survived my twenties and cut down drastically after wife and kids in thirties. But I still had to 'control' it, which is exhausting. Never liked spirits, gave up beer, but the Killer for me is wine at home. Without it, my base-line humour is better, less melancholic, and I've more energy to do stuff I like. Find friends and activities that don't hassle you into drinking. Pubs are a bit of a nightmare if your mates won't just let you be.
Oddly I don't dream about alcohol but I think about it too much. Not missing it, but constantly reassuring myself through private conversations in my head that I'm better off without it. I hope this will pass and I'll just forget all about it.
Stick with it, visit this forum daily for tips and support. You're stronger than you think and in twenty years a lot of your current drinking buddies won't be drinking either...they'll have copped themselves on or their bodies will be wrecked.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks, I would never be able to cut down I would for a week or two and I would be back as bad as ever, I would usually have a good few pints then when i couldent stomach any more i would hit the vodka and single measures were of no use to me, doubles in the pub having to ask the barman to slip another shot in when the wife was'nt looking, and then there is house measures when measures goes out the window!!! when I was younger mid twentys I would be able to polish a 1ltr bottle of vodka and still be on my feet wanting more, friends could'nt understand how I could drink so much and still be the last man standing at the time I taught I was great, now all I do is blackout, fall even urinated myself and the most embassising thing about that is I don't even know did anyone ever see me !! If im like this now what will i be like in 10 years time thats if I'm still alive if I kept drinking..
Old 01-10-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

your quite right--it gets worse as the years pass.
My progression was quite a bit like yours.

Quitting now is the best thing you could have chosen for your future
and for your family.

You need to start planning now how you will handle temptation and tough times
because they will come, and you're "default" is drinking.

You need to get some new hobbies and start inviting friends for coffee, a walk or hike, or lunch instead of the pub.

You'll find most of your friends were actually drinking buddies who won't choose to stay connect to you sober,
but there should be a few "true friends" among the bunch who really like you for you and not just for company on the bar stool.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks hawkeye
Old 01-12-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 9 bit of a rollercoaster. AV poping in and out all day. Its okay to have 1 you managed 9 days you can start again tomorrow !!! Or sure u might as well give up you are going to do it anyway uu can't beat me... Ive been telling him to shut the f_uck up all day...Anyway still sober and that's the way I intend to b tomorrow evening and every evening after that..
Old 01-12-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Urges pass
You are the one with the ability to control the body
You don't pick up, AV eventually shuts up
Old 01-13-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Hawkeye,
Old 01-13-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. 6 days is fantastic ! As others have already said have a positive plan as to what you are going to do this weekend, rather than focus on what you are not going to do.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevepearce View Post
Hi and welcome. 6 days is fantastic ! As others have already said have a positive plan as to what you are going to do this weekend, rather than focus on what you are not going to do.
Great, made me smile as you can see that you will win over this sickness, work that plan hard
Old 01-13-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Steve & ALinNS, Its my daughters birthday on Saturday so planning on Doing something nice for her she will be 6..
Old 01-13-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats SoberCelt
Old 01-13-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks soberwolf
Old 01-13-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Almost a full week--excellent work and a wonderful gift
for your daughter's sixth birthday.

May you and your family enjoy many more sober birthdays together
Old 01-15-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you and your daughter, hope she has a great birthday!
Old 01-16-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. 10:37pm on Saturday night, had a nice day with my Birthday girl she really enjoyed it. But was a really tough day for me, had family and friends over and was allot of temptation around like any irish party there was Alcohol presant and felt sick in the stomach for the want to drink. But I stuck it out there all gone home and im sober...Her first birthday with daddy sober and I spent the whole day with her was special...dont know if I will sleep tonight with all the coffee I drank today but I could have drank worse..
Old 01-16-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Tobesobercelt
Congratulations you just gave your little girl a priceless gift. You.
Now that's somethin!
Substitution has really helped me so much. You drink like a beast why don't you try walking swimming yoga dancing boxing like one?
Whatever sport you like give it a try you may find you're not thinking about the drink you're not having whilst you're doing.....something else.
You may become addicted.
Surprise yourself. Please know it gets a whole lot better!
Happy 2016 😊
Artful
Old 01-17-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks Artful, yes I agree totaly
Old 01-17-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Her first birthday with daddy sober and I spent the whole day with her was special...
Thats really great tobesobercelt

D