Notices

How did you know?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
I don't say "I am an alcoholic" because one of my spiritual beliefs is that the phrase "I am" actually creates my reality. When I had cancer, I said "I have cancer," not "I am cancerous." .
Yes!! This is exactly my issue with AA. I have been reading about the Law of Attraction for years and also believe that the words "I Am" are extremely powerful. I think this is why I am looking for a different approach to recovery. I did read up on Rational Recovery last night and it seems interesting- going to take pieces of it that work for me.

Thank you so much for your comment.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've know I was an alcoholic for a long time, I just didn't like admitting it. For me it was leaving DWI court and thinking I shouldn't drink. Got a 12 pack. The next morning I woke up in a panic and went to AA.

If a normal or heavy drinker is worried about alcohol they just quit. It's not a big deal for them. I would always quit for a few days or week then congratulate by having a few beers then my old pattern returned. I've know two very heavy drinkers that just quit cold turkey. But that's not me.

You want a magic test? Quit drinking for a month. It's should be easy for a normal drinker. Quit drinking to get drunk-meaning never have more than two.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I found admitting to being an alcoholic very liberating. There it was, I couldn't kid myself any more. I know exactly how to deal with it. I don't wear it on my shirt or tell anyone that's not an alcoholic.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

1. I had to have a drink nightly.
2. Once I started I could never stop.
3. I would do/say things that later made me feel guilty/embarrassed/ashamed.
4. I would wake up every morning and swear off alcohol, but of course it wouldn't last the day.

As for labels, if you don't describe your problem, you cannot solve it and in my opinion are hiding from it. You don't have to say alcoholic, you can say "I have a major problem with drinking alcohol." But if you say nothing at all, well, you're probably still in denial.

Good luck,

KP
Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'll do my best to answer these as succinctly as I can. I'm thinking of what I would say if Barbara Walters asked me.......

How did you know you were in fact an alcoholic?

I knew I was an alcoholic when I wanted to drink every night of the week and the quantity kept increasing to larger and larger amounts until I was hungover every day but was somehow okay with all of this as long as I could look forward to drinking the next night.

I knew when blackouts became common and I would behave in dangerous and destructive ways and still want to drink the next night. And drink the next night.

When did you come to terms with it and accept it?

It took a freight train hitting me to accept it. I was always, always going to stop tomorrow. I accepted abstinence when the daily sickness of hangovers became absolutely unbearable. I was shaky, sweaty, and nauseous every day. The true freight train was a serious health diagnosis caused by alcoholism.

I am an alcoholic but have never used that term in my daily life. I am a non-drinker. My friends and family know me as a non-drinker who used to have a serious problem with alcohol.

But because I am a non-drinker now, alcohol is really not in my daily conversations with anyone, including my husband, family, friends. Actually almost never.

I receive my support here.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Would I drink 2 bottles of wine a day if I had a job to go to in the morning? Probably not.

Just wanted to add that although I do understand your reasoning... I have been drinking 2 bottles of wine a night then going to work. It hasn't stopped me drinking even though i work full time.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post

You want a magic test? Quit drinking for a month. It's should be easy for a normal drinker. Quit drinking to get drunk-meaning never have more than two.
Ha, I have been saying this for a few years now and I do think it's a great test. Thanks for chiming in
Old 01-12-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I'll do my best to answer these as succinctly as I can. I'm thinking of what I would say if Barbara Walters asked me.......

I knew I was an alcoholic when I wanted to drink every night of the week and the quantity kept increasing to larger and larger amounts until I was hungover every day but was somehow okay with all of this as long as I could look forward to drinking the next night.

I knew when blackouts became common and I would behave in dangerous and destructive ways and still want to drink the next night. And drink the next night.

It took a freight train hitting me to accept it. I was always, always going to stop tomorrow. I accepted abstinence when the daily sickness of hangovers became absolutely unbearable. I was shaky, sweaty, and nauseous every day. The true freight train was a serious health diagnosis caused by alcoholism.

I am an alcoholic but have never used that term in my daily life. I am a non-drinker. My friends and family know me as a non-drinker who used to have a serious problem with alcohol.

But because I am a non-drinker now, alcohol is really not in my daily conversations with anyone, including my husband, family, friends. Actually almost never.

I receive my support here.
I like your Barbara Walters approach
Thanks so much for your answers. I can relate to a lot of it - the constant hangovers but the continuous drinking. I have no problem calling myself a "non drinker". I guess I just don't like the word "alcoholic"
Old 01-12-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post

Would I drink 2 bottles of wine a day if I had a job to go to in the morning? Probably not.

Just wanted to add that although I do understand your reasoning... I have been drinking 2 bottles of wine a night then going to work. It hasn't stopped me drinking even though i work full time.
I guess I say "probably not" because when I drink it's from 10 am to 6 pm. I don't know how I would cram all of that into 2 or 3 hours but I guess anything is possible...
Old 01-12-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I understand that labels can be difficult. For me, I have no problem saying, "I am an alcoholic." It was liberating, as you can't unring that bell once you have proclaimed it.

BUT, I also understand that making that proclamation works differently for others. I was a narrative therapist for a short bit, meaning we write our own stories, and you define what kind of protagonist you want to be. Do you want a different story, and if so, what kind of hero do you want to be?

I had difficulty when working in mental health, when colleagues would say, "My borderline is coming in at noon, and I am seeing the bipolar after that." Defining people by their diagnosis was troublesome. Separating people from their issue/illness made more sense to me.

So along that line of thinking, perhaps saying, "I am an individual with a drinking problem that I want to address" might be more palatable.

SAHM life can be hard for drinkers. Different kinds of accountability and pressures. Keep working on defining what your feelings mean to you.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post

SAHM life can be hard for drinkers. Different kinds of accountability and pressures. Keep working on defining what your feelings mean to you.
Thank you so much, no one has every put it like that and you are right. It is so easy to drink when I can just stay home all day long and do it.
A lot of my success is going to involve finding ways to stay active both at home and even better, outside of the house. Luckily I have a bunch of appointments this week and errands to run. It's going to be a good week, I can feel it
Old 01-12-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

P, I said I could quit drinking or drink just a few for 3 decades. Always the same result and it did get worse.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I introduce as alcoholic at aa meetings.... but I still don't know whether I 'am'.

Unlike cancer, we can't biopsy our addiction.... there's no definitive test.

But I came to a point where I understood and accepted that it didn't matter. Alcohol is not consistent with what I want my life to be. Alcohol was firmly rooted in all my troubles. Alcohol's promises to me were all lies. I didnt need it. I dont want it.

Sometimes I embrace the notion I am alcoholic. Other times I reject and dislike it....

But the more important thing is this: i recognize that SOBRIETY holds far more for me than alcohol.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I tend to keep things simple, alcohol was causing problems so I removed alcohol!!

I'm now a non drinker and life has been looking up ever since!!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

i remember a time a few years before i stopped drinking, sitting in my recliner getting drunk, saying to myself'"i know im an alcoholic, but why cant i stop drinking???"
i drank for a few years after that and it wasnt admitting i was an alcoholic that got me to stop.
it was admitting alcohol was the common denomimator in all my problems.

i can call myself an alcoholic in recovery today with no shame in doing so. an alcoholic is what i am,not who i am.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
^^This. I've recently come to this realization. I've been in denial of this for a long time.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You know, by calling myself an alcoholic and admitting that I was one after years of thinking I could be but brushed the idea off lol and also having taken huge offence if someone else called me one - lets face it no one likes to be called one by someone else do they? But when I labelled myself as an alcoholic was actually a HUGE relief. The term gave me acceptance and surrender to a battle Id fought for a good 15 years.

I guess Id always known deep down, but AA made me realise I WAS and still am an alcoholic. There is no shame in being one, although its not necessary to shout it from the rooftops, people who don't understand alcoholism are judgemental - no one needs that either.

Whether you define yourself as one is a personal choice, recognising there is a problem and taking action tbh is way more important. I AM an alcoholic. I didn't drink first thing of a morning either but I drank enough for it to cause huge problems, so in my mind I am an alcoholic.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I've found that once you start wondering in any capacity if you are or are not an alcoholic, the enjoyment in drinking is long gone.

I once heard a guy who went to ONE AA meeting, left, and decided to leave the meeting and pretend he had not gone and just continue drinking like normal. He was shocked, angry, and confused as to why he couldn't enjoy drinking after that. That's not to say he didn't find the numbness he was seeking but it was no longer FUN.

He could no longer drink without any cares or worries.

I drank about four years after knowing in my gut that I had a serious addiction to alcohol. I was still seeking the numbing effect but there was very little "enjoyment."

Am I an alcoholic?

(And let's face it, the question answers itself)
Old 01-12-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i remember a time a few years before i stopped drinking, sitting in my recliner getting drunk, saying to myself'"i know im an alcoholic, but why cant i stop drinking???"
i drank for a few years after that and it wasnt admitting i was an alcoholic that got me to stop.

i can call myself an alcoholic in recovery today with no shame in doing so. an alcoholic is what i am,not who i am.
This. I drank 4 years after admitting to myself that I was an alcoholic.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I knew I had a problem when I simply wanted to stop drinking (for health reasons).... and I couldn't.

I have analyzed it, am I an alcoholic, aren't I. I'm not that bad of a drinker compared to others blah blah...

Why can't I quit then.., I am working on it though...11 days sober...