Notices

Booze on my mind

Old 01-08-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Booze on my mind

Day 5 was a breeze compared to the others, although I still think about drinking every few minutes and its aggravating the hell out of me. At what point will I be able to forget about booze, or is that just a fantasy? Also I'm guessing it's completely out of the question to reward myself at some point?
Old 01-08-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Reward yourself? You mean like having a drink? You don't want to do that. You'll end up right where you started or worse. The cravings slowly go away. Although they will never completely go away. That's why you need a plan. Do you have one?
Old 01-08-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You should reward yourself! 5 days is great.

**the reward cannot contain alcohol.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

cravings do get much better
if you drink alcohol again, however, it's back to square one or worse

reward yourself with some quality ice cream
works surprisingly well--try it
Old 01-08-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi case, the cravings really do go but in the meantime, like hawkeye says, have done ice cream at the ready.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

csaw - good job on 5 days!

Give yourself some sober time to allow your body to continue recovering. Once you begin to physically stabilize, the mental process will follow. It might take a while to stop thinking frequently about booze, but it will. Give your sobriety the same effort you dedicated to your drinking.

Hang in there!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

You reward yourself every day you are sober! Rewards are a better life, better skin, more money, etc...I could go on and on. Congrats on your days and keep it up!
Old 01-08-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 csaw!

Have you thought about something like antabuse? It can be helpful because, once you get it through your head that you cannot drink, you stop thinking about it so much. That is how it worked for me anyway. Thinking of you!
Old 01-08-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never think about booze now - but there was once I time I never stopped thinking about it, so change is possible.

It took a while, and a little effort. I saw real changes by 3 months and really changed a lot by one year.

It might seem forever now, but when you consider I drank for 20 years, that's not a bad deal.

D
Old 01-08-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

csaw, I can't speak for others, but I think when actively drinking, it consumes our thoughts. Believe it or not, as more and more time goes by, it doesn't consume your every thought. Congrats on 5 days. Add a zero to that 5 and I think you may feel the same way.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on your days. Keep coming here for support. I think that as you get more time under your belt that you will see plenty of rewards from just being sober. John
Old 01-08-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am only three days ahead of you, and I am doing weight watchers as well as being sober. The good thing is I have been exercising and gaining extra points. I have been rewarding myself with two Godiva truffles each day (3 points for one and 5 points for two, so I feel like it is a bargain!). That would be the point value of a 4oz glass of wine, and who pours a 4oz glass of wine??
Find a yummy treat, or save your money from booze for something you really want.
This post just reminded me I need to buy more truffles, I finished the ones I received for Christmas today.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Great job on being five days into your decision, keep trucking. The AV can be aggravating and exhausting in the early goings, but it will get better. Time takes time.
Switching the mindset from "can't drink" to freely choosing to not drink and the appreciation of how rewarding being sober and free of addiction can be, takes as long as it takes, it's up to you how long it takes.
Keep trucking and wish you well
Old 01-08-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
now's the time

After a month it gets easier. I'm at six months and I get a craving maybe once every few weeks. They pass quickly. The further you climb up from the bottom, the deeper you'll understand that you went.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

csaw your reward is another day of sobriety and a few steps further away from a life style that had us on course for a premature death

I can't think of a better reward
Old 01-09-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Love this thread! Hmmmm rewards... Rewarding yourself.... Great concept.... Let me count the ways...
Old 01-09-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The best reward you can give yourself for day 5. Is day 6. I'm on day 32 and will be rewarded with day 33. I'm doing this bye following one rule and only one. Never ever take that first drink no matter what even if you're ass falls off. Stay with it my friend.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grizzly18 View Post
The best reward you can give yourself for day 5. Is day 6.
That is Genius! I'd like to have it tattooed on my arm, except I'm 53 and don't have a motorbike (I reckon only Pirates and Harley owners look good with tattoos).
I'm in no position to give advice to anyone, and I'm overwhelmed with the Kindness of Strangers on this site, ready to share their experiences, advice and encouragement with new folk struggling. But I'll tell you what works for me with cravings...a spoonful of honey. Da Good Stuff, not processed mass-produced supermarket goo, but honey from bee-keepers, preferably wild-flower based. I think maybe the sugar satisfies something, and the taste is strong enough to give a little 'kick'. I keep it in the mouth awhile.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
p***enger

The physical cravings pass fairly soon. Can't remember how long it took for me, maybe a few weeks? The mental habit of thinking of a drink for any reason or no reason at all can take a long time to go away, which is, I agree with others, why you need a plan. It's the mentality that will trick you & screw you up.

Congratulations on sticking through it so far! I remember making it to day 5 was the hardest part physically ever!