SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   starting day 14.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/382568-starting-day-14-a.html)

Golfdad 01-08-2016 04:54 AM

starting day 14....

Starting day 14 or 2 weeks since Xmas, and very nervous about the next few days. Have been working 15 hr days so have not had much time to think about drinking but today I have a huge presentation which in the past would end by me going home and polishing of a bottle of red to reward myself for a tough week.

And next weekend is the annual ski trip which will be filled with people drinking, dinners, and mid ski warmups at the bar.

My wife looked at me funny this morning when I mentioned the next 2 weekends are going to be tough and she asked do you really think about drinking that much and I replied I don't know but I think about failure 24/7!!!

Would love some thoughts and encouraging words

Soberwolf 01-08-2016 06:04 AM

I think a good chat with your partner about how serious this is & ask to be respected in this decision will help

At 2 weeks I definitly wouldn't go anyhere there will be drinking

Your doing great at 2 weeks golfdad

sva777 01-08-2016 06:14 AM

Going to agree with soberwolf on this one, skip the places where drinking is going on. It's to early in your recovery for slips. Protecting your sobriety should be number one.

C23 01-08-2016 06:17 AM

We all know that unless you have a drinking problem, you will not understand what it is like to try and quit. I would definitely have a talk with your wife and let her know exactly what you are going through. I couldn't imagine doing this without the full support and understanding of my wife, friends, and family.

Good luck!

Garden1228 01-08-2016 06:18 AM

Does she realize you are an alcoholic? I wouldn't go anywhere where drinking is going on. Slippery places make for our brain to rationalize oh I can have just one and one leads to 20 at least for me. Good job on 2 weeks. Stay strong!

ALinNS 01-08-2016 06:21 AM

Echo what the other have said big time, talking to your better half #1.

Watch those hours bud, I know we are all different but when I start putting the 70++ hour weeks in, my past tells me I am well on my way to relapse as I get mentally tired and the AV takes over.

firstymer 01-08-2016 07:19 AM

If you are an alcoholic like the rest of us, Golfdad, you need to start with the premise that NOTHING is more important than staying sober. Not a ski trip. Not a presentation. Nothing.

During the first few weeks of sobriety, I thought about drinking/not drinking every waking hour of every day. That part is normal. But it gets better over time.

These first few weeks of sobriety are particularly dangerous. Falling back into the routine/habit of drinking after work, drinking with friends, etc. is very easy to do. Be vigilant. Be careful.

Good luck.

Anna 01-08-2016 07:35 AM

Golfdad, I don't think you should expect your wife to understand how difficult this is. This is why we are here, because people here get it.

I would definitely not be going to a ski weekend in early recovery. I think you should focus on your recovery and make it a priority.

chrcarlson 01-08-2016 07:46 AM

At 25 days sober I was going to go fishing with old drinking buddies. Was warned against it. I can be around folks drinks but folks drinking in an old drinking environment? Looking back I think my AV wanted me in a drinking environment. I'm very glad I got lost and angry and didn't go. I wanted a drink real bad after that.

31 day sober now. My advise: Listen to the people that say Don't go. If you do go make a plan to avoid bars and any place you use to drink. Look up movies, restaurants and other places Before you go. Under no circumstances darken the door of a place you use to drink-Your AV wants you in there Real bad.

chrcarlson 01-08-2016 09:05 AM

Golfdad, I want you to read something slowing.

The door way to the bar is the Gates of Hell.
This also includes any open container of alcohol.

Now try and forget the above. You will not be able to. Keep trying to forget. Hahahahahaha, it's now implanted in your mind.

At some point when you see an entrance to a bar or open container my post will pop in your head. I know it's annoying-it's advertising.

If you have one drink you have to start over. 14 days? You already have a big investment.

least 01-08-2016 09:56 AM

Congrats on two weeks sober! :) I too would avoid the drinking places and festivities. Two weeks is very early in recovery. There will be plenty of time to do these things when you're stronger in your sobriety.