Notices

How do you explain it?

Old 01-07-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you explain it?

I do worry about genetic alcoholism. My dad died from it and I have quit before the progression looks like a problem to others.

I was trying to explain to my adult son why I quit drinking, and trying to tell him to be aware of his own drinking as he ages. I said when I have a drink I always seem to want more. If we go out to dinner with another couple and have wine, when we get home I always want another. I'm sure my friends go home and they are done. He said it sounds like I just need to practice discipline. The more I tried to explain it the more he didn't get it. He is a young adult and seems to drink socially and modestly.

I guess the conversation is not necessary...yet. Argh.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's good maybe your son doesn't get it ?- with any luck he'll never have to benice?

D
Old 01-07-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Great point.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yes. Hopefully he'll never know the craving.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Time and very slow. I have a son 26 and daughter 24 that are at extreme risk, their mothers side is littered with alcoholics and on my dad's side three dead to alcohol, yes I was always told I could never drink but I never listened (no one in my family of five including my parents have ever drank, only me the youngest). I have had this conversation many times with addictions counselors trying to come up with what/when/how to say something, just subtle remarks is about all I have been told.

In a way I don't understand in my daughters case as she is in her final year of research then she will have her Dr. degree in genetics so I would think she would understand of all people but for now they reject any mention of it, so I wait.