Notices

Welcome guys! I'm an ex :D

Old 01-07-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Welcome guys! I'm an ex :D

Hey guys, I'm Alex and I've been clean for over a year
Just like you, never in my wildest dreams I imagined getting addicted to weed. At first I thought I was a casual user, until I attempted to stop and felt the compulsion to smoke. I felt trapped.

That’s’ when I feel most people realize the true nature of weed whenever they attempt to let go of it. Initially, I started smoking weed either in my sophomore or junior year of college.

My reasons for starting was curiosity and boredom.

In the beginning I would smoke here and there, maybe 2 or 3 times a month. But as I became more into weed, I met friends smoked weed almost everyday and were smoking me out for free.

Everyone in my social circle smoked weed and they were pretty cool people, so it made it gave the illusion that everyone smoked weed. But then the moment came when I had to buy my own weed and that’s when I started realizing my addiction to weed and the big mistake that I made for allowing it to consume my life.

I remember I would stay up past 1 am because that’s when a friend of mine regularly came to smoke us out. I didn’t know it back then, but the doorway to my addiction came through the desire to sleep while being high. It felt good. It then began to migrate to other areas of my life such as being in a boring class, before eating, or while studying. It enhanced the things I did so whenever I would do an activity sober, I would immediately compare it to being high, and being high always won out.

Throughout college I had a lot of moments when I attempted to quit, but I was soon confronted by how tremendously difficult it was to let go of weed. No matter how much money I was spending on a daily basis, it didn’t matter. As we all can relate, my failed attempts to quit smoking weed led me to the conclusion that I was destined to be a pothead for the rest of my life.

So I gave up for a while and accepted my faith.

WHAT DID YOU TRY TO QUIT SMOKING WEED?
I attempted the following:

outpatient rehab
subliminal messages
Reiki
Hypnosis
Accupuncture
Will power
Nothing worked. I thought I tried everything, and to be honest with you, I felt completely helpless. I didn’t know what to think of myself anymore.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I don’t think these methods work, because if used in conjunctions with the methods I learned, I believe they would provide that extra boost to keep you motivated and focused on being sober. Being someone who’s always curious and who views life from contradicting perspective (i.e. embracing spirituality, Neural linguistic programming and Neural associative conditioning), it allowed me to come up with a method that embraced all of these perspective that seem to contradict themselves, yet work very well in conjunction.

This integration of all of these techniques were necessary for me because I was desperate and stubborn. I was reading day and night attempting to find the solution. It was MY solution because of my natural nature to be stubborn. I needed something that produces powerful and lasting change and through my relentlessness to never give up, I finally broke through.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Thanks for sharing that great story. It really inspired me, as I'm embarking on my own journey to sobriety.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Is your name Alexis? Just curious, because my name is Alexis.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting and very true on finding what works. I loved your mention of NLP. I was always throwing that out there when I quit alcohol. I'm fascinated with how powerful the brain is. Despite all we know, it's only a drop in the ocean.

The bottom line is, we are all different and need to find what works for us. We're given a multitude of options that have worked for others. Normally it takes more than just one...or so I believe. There's so many facets to addiction that need to be addressed: physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Addictions grip is strong and how deep and strong it's rooted is different for each of us.

The bottom line is, to win the battle, we have to want to fight. Losing a fight doesn't mean we lost the battle. It simply means the offense and defense plan we had was not suited for the opponent.

You did a great job! Congrats, and thanks for posting!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Alex
Old 01-07-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem Alex - I'm glad you quit, however you got there

D
Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Alex! I'm glad you found us and congratulations on your year of recovery.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Alex!!