Notices

feeling helpless

Old 01-06-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling helpless

Hi there, I'm new to the site. I Just need to speak to people that know what I'm going through. My son is a heroin addict, he's been in the grip on and off of this addiction for around 3 years. He was released from jail last year on licence until 2017, while in jail he was put on methadone, to cut a long story short he self detoxed off the methadone, went through hell for weeks but finally got himself clean. That was 2014. He stayed clean for over a year. He was released last spring and as he was clean we took him in, a decision that nearly ended in divorce as my husband was so against it, as you can imagine as the parents of a heroin addict we'd been lied to, stolen from etc etc, by the time he went to jail he'd stolen everything we had of value and pawned it for heroin. So against hubbys wishes he came home, he started using after about a month, we had no idea. stupid huh? you'd think we'd have known the signs, but he didnt steal this time, well not from us, As expected he went back to prison for a couple of months , but when he came out probation found him a flat and he was stable on meds, until something went wrong with the prescription and bang he was using again. His flat became a mecca for the areas addicts which has resulted in his eviction....today. Today which was also the day he was due in court..he didnt attend. He came round tonight carrying his possessions in a rucksack, he has nowhere to stay, probation have washed their hands as he's now wanted. Tonight I had to turn my son away to a night on the street, I feel devastated, I'm crying as I type, cant stop, the guilt I feel is so overwhelming, its 1.30 am and i have work in the morning and i'm in absolute turmoil, its cold out there but I know in my heart he cannot stay here. I expect the police at the door in the morning looking for him, I've told him to hand himself in, why postpone the inevitable, he says he will tomorrow, I'm so scared for him but i know I cant help him, I just feel so helpless. thanks for reading
Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm sorry for what brought you here. Please don't feel guilty about sending him out on his own. I think you've done all you can do without sacrificing your peace of mind.

I hope and pray he decides to get clean for good.

We also have forums for friends and family of addicts. Might be some good advice in there.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, I will take a look at those forums, I need to have a good look around, i came across this site by chance, had a quick read and decided to sign up. Its 2 am now so must try and get some sleep in though I don't have much hope. Thank you for your kind words, I am hoping to get a phone call from him tomorrow from the police station to tell me he's handed himself in, at least then I will know he is in a safer place than on the street
Old 01-06-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's a super-active "Friends and Family" section of this website. Copy your post and then post it on that section. You'll get loads of support! Welcome.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, I've just done that now
Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Trueskyblue- I'm a mom too and responded to your post in the family and friends section.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome trueskyblue

D
Old 01-06-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry for what brings you here but you've come to s supportive spot. I hope you get some rest tonight.

I know it's small comfort but my husband is an addict as well and one thing about addicts, they usually find a place to stay. Even so, you've done what you could. Please stick around for support. You're not alone.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Trueskyblue!!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome TSB