Notices

happy new year, and btw your husband uses meth

Old 01-06-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

happy new year, and btw your husband uses meth

New Year's morning I woke up early to watch the sun rise and found my husband in the backyard in our greenhouse with a little clear bag of crystals on the floor next to him. I have never seen meth in real life, but I knew instantly that's what it was. For months I had noticed weird behavior, but I chalked up the insomnia, impulsivity, and irritability to his ADHD. Then BOOM. It all made horrible sense. I'm devastated, flattened, confused, heart broken... I've been listening to my wiser self and taking care of myself and doing things that bring me peace and balance. But I haven't talked to anyone about this, and it is eating me alive. We've been together 10 years, and never in a million would I have thought he was using meth. This pain is what brought me to this post, my very first post ever, anywhere. I would love a friend right now. I'm 35, no kids, Atlanta if that makes a difference. Thank you all for reading this, my prayers to you all as well
Old 01-06-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

We do understand how difficult this is and I'm glad you found us and posted.

I'm sorry for the situation with your husband. Have you had a chance to talk with him? Is he ready to stop using the drugs? If not, then there is not a lot you can do. It's good that you are taking care of yourself and I hope you continue to do that.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hi, and welcome to SR. I'm sorry what brings you to the forum. That's never a good way to start out a new year. Have you had any discussions with your husband?
Old 01-06-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm sorry for what brings you here. I hope you can have a good talk with him and let him know how disappointed you are that he is doing drugs.

We also have a friends and family forum for those affected by a loved one's using. Lots of good insight there, take a look.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you'll find support and understanding here Nathalie - welcome

D
Old 01-06-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi all, thank you for your replies. Yes, I did ask him about the meth when I saw it... he said he was testing it for a friend or some other unbelievable story. Essentially, he denied using. I know there is nothing I can do to control him or stop him from making hurtful decisions. I lost my best friend and protector a while ago, and it's just been me on my own. Is anyone else dealing with this loneliness?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, in different forms and degrees. I'd suggest trying a few alanon and/or naranon meetings. I go to alanon but I know a few regulars with heroin addicts in their family. I know they hurt as much as those of us with alcoholic loved ones. Quite often people share about coming across the bottle, or hearing the ice clink in the glass, or seeing That Look in their eyes. Not saying its a replacement for talking to your husband but maybe sharing it with others in a similar situation might help you clarify your response.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im so sorry you are going through this! I just left my BF of 2 years because he is addicted to Adderall ( legal form of meth) also bc he has ADHD. I can relate to that very much. Its tough bc they will often deny it. It is very lonely at times.Please keep us posted.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey olivialuca, I think it actually started with the Adderall. Colt had always struggled with ADHD and learning disabilities, and two years ago he started seeing a therapist who recommended pharmacological treatment. Colt got a prescription for Adderall 60mg every day and has never looked back. I knew he was finishing his prescription early every month, but it caused such friction when I would ask him about it that I stopped... he's never been violent towards me, called me names, or threatened me. But he manifests his meth use with manic thought, rapid, endless monologues about bizarre things, insomnia, unreliability... I just can't connect with him. I spent a year attributing his behavior to me (that was painful), then his medication prednisone (he also has an inflammatory disease, and prednisone can change people's behavior), then his ADHD (I reasoned it might be getting worse), and then the answer literally jumped up, shook my hand, and introduced itself as "The Reason Behind Colt's Wild, Unpredictable Behavior". So I've been lonely for a while, I just didn't know why.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, and schnappi99, thank you for the anon suggestion. Honestly, I don't think I'm ready to talk to people about this in real life. I'm definitely working through denial... I'm still in a state of shock, bewilderment
Old 01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Sorry for what you are going through Nathalie.
I hope you find the help you need. You must look out for yourself first.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Nathaliejane!! You'll find loAds of support here on SR!!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the community
Old 01-07-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi nathaliejane

I am sorry your husband is sick with the disease of addiction. It is progressive like you mention. Glad you are here. What can we do to help you in your period of revelation?

We are here for you always 24/7.

Please take care of you.