Notices

Help , i need some advice please.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I wanted to go fishing with my old drinking buddies. Nice guys that are very supportive of me not drinking. I've been around them drinking since being sober but not out fishing-not a problem. My AA sponsor said as long as I didn't want to relive glory days and just wanted to fish it would be ok. Folks on this board said Bad Idea-not sober long enough. Dee74 really nailed it. SR 1, sponsor 0 I didn't drink but going was a bad Idea. 29 days sober now.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Perfect opportunity to set your stall out as "I don't drink" from the beginning . . . no questions, no lies, no nothing, "I don't drink" and continue from there!!

Many people don't drink for religious reasons and no one bats an eyelid, you're now a part of the non drinking group!!

Great job on Day 45!!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
I wanted to go fishing with my old drinking buddies. Nice guys that are very supportive of me not drinking. I've been around them drinking since being sober but not out fishing-not a problem. My AA sponsor said as long as I didn't want to relive glory days and just wanted to fish it would be ok. Folks on this board said Bad Idea-not sober long enough. Dee74 really nailed it. SR 1, sponsor 0 I didn't drink but going was a bad Idea. 29 days sober now.
So sponsor gave you parameters to consider - treated you like an adult and proposed a premise under which you may go. As I recall you got lost, mad and went home, right?

Hmmm, sounds like two wise old owls to me............we are fortunate for support on all fronts I have found.

Chrcarlson 2 - drinking 0
Old 01-07-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Fly N Buy' Yep. I just posted the Readers Digest version here. Thank's for remembering my posts. Very mad and the AV was stronger that day for it.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm hearing more and more people these days say, "No, thanks. I don't drink." Or "No, thanks. I'm dry" (which was a new one for me) and nobody bats an eye. Some people don't drink for religious reasons or they don't care for the taste or their body is their temple and they are careful what they put in it. It's not like "Mad Men" ad agency time. Congrats on the new job and your sobriety!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Z-

Congrats on your sober time, and the new job!

The way I see it, starting a new job already sober is a great thing! You don't have a history there of maybe over-doing it and wearing a lampshade at the company holiday party, for instance. It's a clean slate, so you don't have any explaining to do as to why you quit, yadayada, you just prefer soft drinks and will establish yourself as a non- drinker among your new colleagues. It's a good thing!
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

We alcoholics are the ones who pressure ourselves. Lots of people don't drink. And lots of people who do, really don't care if we don't.

The smoothest answer I ever heard was: "No, thanks. I don't drink alcohol." And when asked why not, they answered "I just feel healthier without it."
Old 01-07-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just say, no thanks, I don't drink. And if pressed, I just say I've had my fill of drinking and don't do it anymore.