Notices

anti depressants & drinking

Old 01-07-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adelina123 View Post
I read about how it was believed there to be a link between ssri anti depressants and cravings for alcohol. This was like a jolt of lightening for me so I researched more and indeed there is a lot of people out there that strongly believe there to be a link and tell stories of their alcoholism whilst taking this medication, people that were not drinkers at all before the medication.

I evaluated my own situation from this. … my drinking has escalated over the last year or so. Yes I’ve always been a drinker but I have to say my intake has increased and urges to drink have become much more frequent. It’s is also just over a year that I have been taking ssri anti depressants. I am now seriously considering that there may be a link. I thought it was just a progression of the illness now I’m not so sure!!

I’ve considered weaning off them to see if there is a difference but I’m scared as I remember what it was like before taking them …. i have the worst pmt imaginable. I’m also worried that the wine witch might use this knowledge to her advantage I. E you can drink cos it’s not your fault now it’s the medication.

I’m not sure what to do now. Apparently medical professionals and drug companies in the UK are still reluctant to acknowledge the link therefore is it even worth talking to my go? ?

Your experiences and opinions would be much appreciated.

Hi there. I am in the exact same boat and have also read similar stories when searching online. I started Zoloft after I got hit with post part in depression and my daily drinking (something I have never done befor) started at the same time. Zoloft is known to cause carbohydrate cravings so I believe the alcohol cravings must be tied in somehow. Because of that and some other nasty side effects, I am seeing a doctor next week to change meds.
I weaned myself off the Zoloft in October and it was a nightmare and had to go back on it. I do not suggest doing that.

Can you talk to your doctor about trying another, non SSRI med?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Hi there. I am in the exact same boat and have also read similar stories when searching online. I started Zoloft after I got hit with post part in depression and my daily drinking (something I have never done befor) started at the same time. Zoloft is known to cause carbohydrate cravings so I believe the alcohol cravings must be tied in somehow. Because of that and some other nasty side effects, I am seeing a doctor next week to change meds.
I weaned myself off the Zoloft in October and it was a nightmare and had to go back on it. I do not suggest doing that.

Can you talk to your doctor about trying another, non SSRI med?

Thanks for this it seems most people that responded are saying the opposite and that their mess helped them off alcohol I'm still unsure as to what to so I think I'm going to make another really really hard stab at stopping whilst still taking the med but if it proves worthless ill see the doctor to discuss changing them. I hope you get sorted too it's a nightmare!!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know, I read those responses as well and was not surprised. I do not think this is a common side effect but I do believe it is real. You and I are two prime examples.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's possible to link almost anything to anything. I was prescribed an anti-depressant about a year ago so I did a ton of reading on it and for every single one you can find countless "experiences" that are both good and bad. Some people claim horrible side effects, others don't. Some say they are amazing and made their life much better, some say it made things much worse. Some say they have horrible withdrawals when changing doses or different varieties, some have none at all. Some claim it makes them drink, others claim it helps them not drink.

At the end of the day, each person is different and any drug is going to affect them in a different way. The best solution is to be very open an honest with our doctors and therapists, especially about our addictions. That way they can take into account all the specific things about US as a person and find the best solution. And they can help us find a plan for our sobriety that works best in conjunction with any medicines or therapies.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I think it's possible to link almost anything to anything. I was prescribed an anti-depressant about a year ago so I did a ton of reading on it and for every single one you can find countless "experiences" that are both good and bad. Some people claim horrible side effects, others don't. Some say they are amazing and made their life much better, some say it made things much worse. Some say they have horrible withdrawals when changing doses or different varieties, some have none at all. Some claim it makes them drink, others claim it helps them not drink. At the end of the day, each person is different and any drug is going to affect them in a different way. The best solution is to be very open an honest with our doctors and therapists, especially about our addictions. That way they can take into account all the specific things about US as a person and find the best solution. And they can help us find a plan for our sobriety that works best in conjunction with any medicines or therapies.
Unfortunately, even doctors and therapist are often lacking in information. I had a psychiatrist back in the day who had me on a total of six different meds at one time and then wondered why I was a hot mess.

This current doctor knew all about my substance abuse past and still prescribed the Zoloft. It is not a documented side effect, just one that some people have reported.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I first took prozac at sixteen. A lot of people in my family have depression but they do not react well to anti depressants. So little is know about the brain and I think a lot if this stuff is related to pharmaceutical companies and their stock shares, profits, etc.

Anywho.

I took celexa and buspar. Then i took wellbutrin and buspar. My brain felt dead on wellbutrin.

When I drank while taking an AD I got nuts. I mean i will be screaming about suicide and stuff. It is pathetic.

But I never took AD for more than a fee weeks. I could not take the side effects. I am seven months sober and my psychiatrist gave me naltrexone. It kind of takes the pleasure out of everything. I may try wellbutrin again to see if I can get through the adjustment period.