Notices

Is there such a thing as a wine-oholic?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there such a thing as a wine-oholic?

It's weird. I've decided to cut back on my wine drinking. I have been drinking about 4 or 5 standard drinks a night for years and years and more on weekends. I don't get many of the other symptoms people talk about. I don't get angry, don't fall fall asleep, don't get obviously drunk, don't feel any physical effects the next day. But I do have trouble sleeping.

I am not greatly interested in any other drink, but I do like gin. So I am having a half shot of gin and diet tonic water when I get home from work as the 'end-of-the-day' drink and take the edge off. I tell myself that if I want to have another gin and tonic, then go for it. Have 10 if you want to. But NO wine.

Funny thing is that after that first gin and tonic I have no desire for another, or any other drink. Just wine. So today I am on day 5 of a half shot of gin and diet tonic water each night, nothing else, still craving wine. I suppose I am a wine-oholic, if there is such a thing.

I actually didn't find this website because I was in crisis. I simply thought, 'why the hell is wine so addictive, but nothing else?' So I typed that into Dr Google and voila, up came this website. So I've been reading posts for the last hour or so and found it really empowering. I'm in awe of many of you people. So I'll keep coming back and hopefully it will help me wrench some control back.

I like the idea of not keeping wine in the house - I'll probably try that too.

(non-alcoholic) cheers to you all.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a wino too, with gin sometimes for good measure. Yes, it is possible to be addicted to wine.

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never heard of a wine-o-holic. I've heard of a wino usually used to describe an alcoholic. Do you want to stop drinking or are you happy to continue with the gin and tonic?
Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a beer a holic I guess - but over 20 years I found that there weren't many kinds of drinks I couldn't abuse alcoholically.

Alcohol is alcohol I'm afraid.

I'm puzzled tho - if you don't think you have a problem and nothing dire happens, why are you not drinking wine?

D
Old 01-06-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All I drank was wine. Red, white, sweet, dry, everything.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I only ever drank dry white wine for 30 years and the rare cocktail. I just made the calculation... well over 5,000 bottles over my lifetime. I never drank spirits. Even the smell makes me feel sick. And beer doesn't interest me.

But I have never asked myself if I am a wine a holic. All I know is that I have an addiction whatever label it may have and when I drink I harm myself and others.

Why don't you stop the Gin and wine for a week and see how you feel. That will give you a real idea of your addiction level.

Regards to you.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

I used to only drink beer, that was my only drink, but that slowly morphed into wine and then into liquor!!

Then when I tried to quit I'd make deals with myself that I was only going to have wine at weekends, and then it was only liquor at weekends, only wine with dinner, only beer on weekdays, the goalposts always gradually shifted, until I had to accept that I couldn't control my drinking through drink type or day of the week, alcohol was the common denominator and I was addicted to alcohol.

You'll find loads of support here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi!
You just described me
I onky drank a dry red, sometimes a very dry white.
No desire for others types of alcohol, though I also liked gin ( but usually 1 or 2)

I had a boyfriend at one time and his bottle of patron tequila sat at my house for over a year and I never touched a drop, he eveuntually took it for a boys night out.
Wine is my poison for sure.
At the end of my drinking I was moderating quite well, but it also disrupts my sleep, gives me dark circles under my eyes etc.
I have an issue with wine, moderating takes a lot of effort- it feels a lot nicer to just give it up
Xoxo
Old 01-06-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had to think about this, too--problem behavior linked to certain drinks but to others. For me, one beer is easy; I don't have to think about it because the thought of another one never even crosses my mind. But one 1.5 oz serving of whiskey is not easy; I have to think about it, use discipline. We sound a lot alike. But veterans here say that many true alcoholics start out this way (3-4 drinks a night, or every other night, preferring only a certain type of drink), and that it is only a matter of time until things begin to escalate...or, at least, until any drink(s) will do, regardless of your preferences...

This period of gray area b/t habitual abuse and progressive alcoholic disease seems really important to examine, because you can still take preemptive measures (esp important if it is the latter). I am also in this gray area. I can take or leave certain types of alcohol, but abuse others if given the opportunity (for me, it is whiskey I am most likely to abuse--one standard drink leads to 3 to 4 at home, or 5-7 if out with friends--whereas one beer leads to maybe one more, maybe not, can take our leave it). I'm still relatively young in a professional field overflowing with alcohol, so it is easy to explain away.

But on this 4th day of total sobriety (planning to do a month and then assess), I do have to say that self-examination is bringing troublesome memories to light. As some have said, it's not the amount you drink per se but your psychological and physiological relationship to alcohol.

So I guess it might be a good idea for you to do what people here have suggested: take a week or two off from the drinking and reassess, have some heart to heart with yourself about your relationship to it, etc. I went from thinking I maybe had a problem to thinking that I definitely have a problem.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Psuedonymble alcoholism comes in many shapes & forms
Old 01-06-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

I'm definitely a red wine-aholic. My routine was OCD about it... I would have 2 (occasionally 3) [strong] beers and then on to the wine. Never cider or lager. Only ever strong red wine.

I dabbled with whisky for a while (more because it seemed cool and sophisticated to talk about peaty malts and whatever) but it never stuck. I had a shelf full of unopened spirits... vodkas, brandies etc... but it was always red wine.

The realisation hit for me when I was drinking more than a bottle a night but then wake up in the morning feeling absolutely fine. (Well, tired... but not particularly hungover etc.) In the past, if I drank a bottle of wine I *always* knew about it the next day, so to start not feeling it was a bit worrying. Then I counted how many days last year I didn't have a drink. I could count it one hand...

It sounds to me like you're in a phase of trying to moderate and I hope it works for you. I've realised I can't moderate... it's all or nothing... so I've elected for nothing.

Anyway, good luck with it. Stick with SR - so many great people here to help you through this.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My father made wine and I can still recall the gurgling noise across the hall from where I slept as air released from the fermentation air locks. I found it very peaceful - you sparked this memory with the wine talk.

PK's post struck a chord with me. I was starting to wonder years back if I had a problem and switched around the preferred delivery device. As he posted. a plethora of different alcohols - a veritable buffet of booze to prove to myself I didn't have a problem. Ultimately I expanded my palate for different alcohol was the result.

Others suggested I consider these simple questions when I was wondering about my habits - Could I can't quit drinking on my own when I wanted to (wrench control back ??) and, when I drank did I frequently drink more than I had planned. If so I likely had a serious issue.

They were correct in my case.

Thanks for the post, welcome to the forums!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Yes...I'm a wine-o-holic too....also known as an alcoholic....what with the alcohol in it and all...
Alcoholic with wine being my DOC.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wine was my main drink, too.

But at the end is get drunk on anything.

If you aren't an alcoholic and can moderate, it won't matter what you drink really. If you are an alcoholic, the wine preoccupation is just a stage in alcoholism.

I like the idea from fabat, give it all up for six months and see how you feel. If you don't miss it, great. If you do...

I remember a counselor once told me that normal people could take or leave alcohol. Not even think about it for days. That blew my mind.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wine was my vice too! I think the sugar might of had something to do with it in my case. Of course I'd have drank just about anything!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I switched drink types several times. When I was drinking beer, my rationale was that "it must be just beer that gets me in trouble". When I switched to wine, I thought "maybe it's just the wine that's costing me my job". When I switched to hard liquor I thought "gee, I was okay when I drank beer and wine. It must have a terrible problem with vodka and I should switch back".

The common denominator was alcohol. It's natural to try and blame ANYTHING but the alcohol, so you're not alone there. My recommendation would be to quit. If you're not an alcoholic, it won't bother you. If you are an alcoholic, you'll get much better. Win-win.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Per my screen name, wine was my DOC as well. Every day, 7 days a week. Generally a bottle plus at night for years. I also drank vodka, but my love affair was with wine. My husband drinks and there is always vodka (and other liquor/beer) in the house, and that doesn't really bother me. But Chardonnay in the fridge? Now THAT would be a different story.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wine is my downfall as well. I am six days wine free right now, and definitely starting to feel much more clear headed! It is certainly not easy, and if you read around on SR you will find many of us that we're just wine drinkers.

Who would have thought fermented grapes could cause so many problems.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

didnt matter what i drank. it was the underlying issues for drinking.
because im an alcoholic.

"but I do like gin. So I am having a half shot of gin and diet tonic water when I get home from work as the 'end-of-the-day' drink and take the edge off. I tell myself that if I want to have another gin and tonic, then go for it. Have 10 if you want to. But NO wine. "

see a problem with this? people who dont have a problem with alcohol dont need a drink to take the edge off. they dont rationalize switching from wine to gin AND say 10 drinks is ok as long as its not wine.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi.

Wine was my poison too. I think that combination of factors can contribute to looking at wine as "another kind of story":

- Unlike vodka or other spirits it has taste;
- Like it was mentioned before - sugars;
- Huge media-society BS image that it is "ok drink". It's easier to name a TV show where characters do not floundering around with a glass wine, ever any at all. And consequently it gives illusion that "At least I don't drink vodka".

It doesn't matter much what is a tool of destruction and the form it comes in - classy outfit or shabby plastic bottle. The outcome is usually the same.

You'll find a lot of different stories here. Read around)

Best wishes to you.