Notices

Is there such a thing as a wine-oholic?

Old 07-05-2021, 02:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Edit: I only just now realised it was an old thread! Sorry for the lecture but I'll leave it rather than dirty delete. How are you? I'm so glad you're back.

Hate to break it to you but switching from one type of alcohol to a second type of alcohol in an attempt to manage the first type of alcohol is a step down the road to alcoholism. I loved wine, too. I drank anything, but wine was my downfall. I, too, had bottles of liquor in the house that didn't interest me, but they didn't interest me because I always had access to wine. I guarantee if I didn't have access to money to buy wine, I would have drunk all of that liquor without a second thought. I've also switched to a different drink, say beer, and only had one and was fine. For a while. Then I'd have two and be fine. For a while. Then three and then all bets were off and I'd be back to wine and drinking even more than when I quit wine to begin with. You have nothing to lose by not drinking alcohol. There is a beautiful life waiting for you on the other side of drinking. My worst day sober is 100x better than my best day drinking. It was a revelation.

By the time I hit my 40's I was drinking at minimum a bottle of wine a day, sometimes 2-3 bottles, or a six pack of beer along with the wine. I also worked my way through all those liquor bottles with a few large rums over ice before I started on the first bottle of wine. It was a constant misery but I couldn't stop. I went from buying just what I planned to drink for that day (every day was going to be my last drinking day) to saying stuff it, I'm an alcoholic and I'm not quitting, and stocking up on wine so I'd never run out. I try not to think about how much money I would have spent over my 30+ year drinking career.

Even if you have no trouble going to the gym or what have you the next day, that's now. By the time I hit my mid 30's I was constantly exhausted and physically in a lot of pain. I felt like a walking corpse. I picked up a pain pill addiction to top off my alcohol addiction. If you're in the early stages of problem drinking, and the fact that you're googling to see if there is such a thing as a wine-o-holic points to the fact that you are, now is the perfect time to stop.

How are you today? How did you sleep?
Old 07-05-2021, 02:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I thought was new thread as well, pseudonimble. Welcome back.

What had you reurn? The *sigh*.

I figure I know, but wanted to hear your thoughts.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It is an old thread , but I enjoyed it too thinking it was new. So anyway -I started on Cider ( yep!) massive bottles of the stuff that was as a teen and then graduated onto Gin and cider ( not in the same glass) as a student - more cider for years then suddenly moved to the north of England and started on beer and wine - several pints of beer, Guinness, followed by red wine. I changed briefly to a fling with vodka - but realised that much as I loved vodka, neat no ice, it was going to far as I could easily drink a large bottle in a day -
I switched back to red wine and dry white wine which I faithfully consumed sprinkled now and again with brandy or whisky until well...7 weeks ago - it's shocking how much I actually drank, that I managed to get through university, hold down a career is remarkable - I winder why it took me so long to want sobriety - I am glad I did though.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

For me, in my twenties mainly beer, in my thirties mainly red wine, in my forties mainly cider. I switched to cider as I had drank so much red wine it became boring, which in itself is an alcoholic thing to do. Normal drinkers don't get bored of wine. The few times I experimented with anything stronger than wine did not end well.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yes, there is definitely such a thing as wine-oholic. My screen name was created as a result of just that.

Welcome back! I’ve recently returned too.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:18 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Welcome back. What happened over the last five years?