Notices

Here we go (again)

Old 01-05-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Red face Here we go (again)

Hi all

I started reading SR about 3 years ago. About 2 years ago I joined and even posted a thread about it (can't link to it as I'm not allowed) but needless to say, back then, I was determined to quit.

That lasted about a week, I think.

So here I am, 2 years later, starting again. About 2 months ago, I resolved to go sober, and set a quit date of 4th January 2016. Over Christmas I was on it hard - I think I got about as close to rock bottom as I've ever been - so much so, that I started looking forward to my quit date. Somewhere I found some new strength... I actually brought it forward.

Day 1 I did something I've never been able to do before - I cleared out all the booze in the house. This in itself was a cathartic experience. It also ramped up the pressure - if I want to drink I actually have to go out and buy it.

Today is Day 5, and so far it's been OK. I've been here before though so I know I have barely scratched the surface. That's why I'm writing this now, actually, because although I'm handling the physical aspects of it so far, the mental (addicted voice) bits are going through a noisy period. The "Wow you did 5 days, you can do this easy, anytime you want, just had a drink and do this another time" voice is raging. I'm conscious that as I become accustomed to the physical benefits of quitting (feeling healthy, clear head in the morning, being more productive) and that initial positive feeling wears off, there's a risk I'll forget what it's like when I'm drinking... my addicted voice (mav...) will do his best to trick me.

I'm so grateful for SR. There's so much positivity here that it's really helping people like me in the early stages. But what's helping most at the moment are the posts from the people who have been sober a long time (I can only dream of months at the moment, much less the 6+ months, years, 20+ years people...) but who still follow a simple plan to keep on top of it... never let your guard down. That's what tripped me up in the past.

Anyway... onwards to day 6.

-mav
Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 5 days MAV.

Those longer periods can seem daunting so just set your target as not drinking today, not drinking for the next 24 hours and they will build up
Old 01-05-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back, MAV. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back and you're doing great!
Old 01-05-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back MAV, onwards to Day 6!!
Old 01-05-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back MAV, congratulations on 5 days! You sound like you are ready to quit for good. You won't regret it!
Old 01-05-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back and recommitted to sobriety.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you, on getting rid of all the alcohol in your house Do you have some ideas of what you'll do, when you get an urge to drink? I used to take a lot of walks and of course, stayed close to SR.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by MAV View Post
Hi all

I started reading SR about 3 years ago. About 2 years ago I joined and even posted a thread about it (can't link to it as I'm not allowed) but needless to say, back then, I was determined to quit.

That lasted about a week, I think.

So here I am, 2 years later, starting again. About 2 months ago, I resolved to go sober, and set a quit date of 4th January 2016. Over Christmas I was on it hard - I think I got about as close to rock bottom as I've ever been - so much so, that I started looking forward to my quit date. Somewhere I found some new strength... I actually brought it forward.

Day 1 I did something I've never been able to do before - I cleared out all the booze in the house. This in itself was a cathartic experience. It also ramped up the pressure - if I want to drink I actually have to go out and buy it.

Today is Day 5, and so far it's been OK. I've been here before though so I know I have barely scratched the surface. That's why I'm writing this now, actually, because although I'm handling the physical aspects of it so far, the mental (addicted voice) bits are going through a noisy period. The "Wow you did 5 days, you can do this easy, anytime you want, just had a drink and do this another time" voice is raging. I'm conscious that as I become accustomed to the physical benefits of quitting (feeling healthy, clear head in the morning, being more productive) and that initial positive feeling wears off, there's a risk I'll forget what it's like when I'm drinking... my addicted voice (mav...) will do his best to trick me.

I'm so grateful for SR. There's so much positivity here that it's really helping people like me in the early stages. But what's helping most at the moment are the posts from the people who have been sober a long time (I can only dream of months at the moment, much less the 6+ months, years, 20+ years people...) but who still follow a simple plan to keep on top of it... never let your guard down. That's what tripped me up in the past.

Anyway... onwards to day 6.

-mav
Here's your link!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ere-we-go.html

Glad you're back.....
Old 01-05-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back MAV

Have you thought any about a recovery plan - what you'll do to actively stay sober?

D
Old 01-05-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you back, MAV. We have to be ready - sounds like you are.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

It is great to see you back! congrats on 5 days.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Mav
Old 01-06-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So here I am, 2 years later, starting again.
Yep, it takes a few times to realise how difficult this is and how committed one needs to be to quit permanently. It is easy to lose another 2 years before the next attempt.

I did something I've never been able to do before - I cleared out all the booze in the house.
Good call. I could never have managed to quit if there had been booze in the house. Now that I am 2 years sober, I don't mind having booze around if we are entertaining but I still clear it out the next day - just to be on the safe side. I sooooo don't want to go back where I have been and this is a simple precaution. As you say, if you need to go to the shops before drinking, it gives you another half hour to decide whether this is really something you want to risk (again).

there's a risk I'll forget what it's like when I'm drinking...
Whilst I don't visit SR very frequently any more, I still drop in here occasionally because it is a really good reminder of what I had to go through to quit. Seeing what other people are dealing with helps me with my resolve to remain sober, permanently.

Congratulations on making it back here.

This thing is possible!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Thanks all

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
Good for you, on getting rid of all the alcohol in your house Do you have some ideas of what you'll do, when you get an urge to drink? I used to take a lot of walks and of course, stayed close to SR.
At the moment I've got sort of two plans. Short term / tactical plan which is how do I get through tomorrow, and the next week and so on. So I've started doing a lot of the things I did before the drinking got really bad. Have rejoined the gym, have picked up my drumsticks for the first time in however many years, we're also doing nights in at home where rather than just slob in front of the TV, we'll do something relaxing... either music & reading, or play a game, or do a jigsaw or something.

I'd become so obsessed (OCD) with my drinking routine that I'd get nervous if I didn't 'get my quota' for the day - but what this meant was my evenings and weekends were essentially a write-off for doing anything else. So doing some new/old/fun stuff again is great for trying to break that routine... just driving home from the gym at 9pm on a weds eve is crazy (and exciting)

The longer term / strategic plan is that for anyone who asks (other than my wife and a couple of close friends who I've talked with) is I'm doing 'dry january' so this should get them off my back for a while... then after that it'll be a case of carrying it on. I've got some goals (lose x amount of weight, get my drumming back to a standard etc.) so that I have something to aim for... goals that I won't hit for a good few months. I've also started a blog about all this - it's basically for my own purposes but the idea is that I put in it any thoughts or feelings or anything to do with this process, so that when I get weak in the coming days and months etc. I can look back at my own words to remind myself how I was actually feeling. my AV will try and tell me it was never that bad and it'll be fine to just have a drink, so I'm hoping that having my own words will be a good defence against that.

At the moment though, i'm trying to stop myself thinking about anything much more than a day or two in advance. My head begins to spin a bit when I think about the prospect of not drinking for like 3 months so I'm just focusing on now. It's nearly the weekend though... this will be a real challenge.

But anyway... Day 6 is in the bag! Onwards to day 7...
Old 01-06-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I remember how excited I was driving home one night at 9 pm ish......wouldn't have trusted myself to do that when drinking! Good job
Old 01-06-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

6 days - so wonderful, MAV. Very happy for you.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

12 days!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

12 days is great!!!! Congrats!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming