Notices

Newbie Introduction

Old 01-05-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Introduction

Hi Gang,
Like many newbies, I’ve lurked on these forums for a couple of years and feel like I’ve learned a lot from reading others’ posts and hearing of their struggles. Most of all, it has shown me that I’m not alone, and there are people who can relate to the stuff I’ve dealt with. I’m 41, and I’ve drank heavily for about 5 years, but have put together about a month and a half of sobriety (by far the longest I’ve been sober in the last five years or so) after having two grand mal seizures (and ending up in the ER twice as a result) in a one month period while trying to quit cold turkey. Thankfully, I do not have a wife or children to have to put up with this B.S. In any case, the seizures, along with how much better I feel now, and how much my life and physical appearance have improved, have been sufficient motivation to stay clean, and I hope/expect that this will continue to be the case, as I am not really a 12-step guy. Nothing at all wrong with that if it works for other people, I just don’t see it working for me. The principles of AVRT resonate a lot more with me.

I have managed to be fairly ‘high-functioning’ during this period and have held down a responsible job and a comfortable income, for the last 10 years, no DUIs/DWIs, etc…really no serious consequences to my drinking other than some deterioration in my relationships due to isolating myself so I could get blotto without exposing myself as such, and whatever I’ve done to my health as a result of my drinking. Accordingly, it’s gut-wrenching for me to hear what alcohol has done to some people, how it has completely ruined their lives, in some cases beyond repair. So I decided I needed to join SR so I could start making some sort of contribution, as the wisdom dispensed freely on these forums has helped me so much. Prior to that, though, I wanted to offer this brief introduction, and I look forward to commiserating with some of you fine folks.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post

Hi Gang,
Like many newbies, I’ve lurked on these forums for a couple of years and feel like I’ve learned a lot from reading others’ posts and hearing of their struggles. Most of all, it has shown me that I’m not alone.
Welcome and that is right -- you are not alone.
M-Bob
Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome DesertDawg
Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, DD.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum DesertDawg!!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome. I'm curious about this phrase..

"So I decided I needed to join SR so I could start making some sort of contribution, as the wisdom dispensed freely on these forums has helped me so much"

Do you mean that you want to stop drinking? Or are you suggesting that you want to help some of us still "function" whilst drinking?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post

"So I decided I needed to join SR so I could start making some sort of contribution, as the wisdom dispensed freely on these forums has helped me so much"

Do you mean that you want to stop drinking? Or are you suggesting that you want to help some of us still "function" whilst drinking?
All I meant was that I wanted to be able to contribute to the discussions and thus, in some small way, possibly offer encouragement to those who are trying to quit or who are struggling with an addiction with which I am very familiar. I hope that clarifies it.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome DD!
Glad you're here
Old 01-05-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and you are right, the power of these forums is we understand as we have been there.

Do you have a plan in place?

Best wishes
Andrew
Old 01-05-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of SR, DesertDawg.

Nice to meet you.

Great to hear that you are seeing the benefits of sobriety.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome DesertDawg
Old 01-05-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post

Sorry, I read your post too quickly. I had zapped the part about the month and a half sober!
Great ! I can relate to your journey. I too am only a couple of months sober after functioning well for 10 years. Then in the past couple of years I went downhill rapidly and got unceremoniously fired from my high flying rather well paid job. Was the final wake up call.

Thanks for joining us.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

tsup dawg?
welcome