Notices

Music SAVES my Soul!!!!!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Music SAVES my Soul!!!!!

The best remedy in the world for my suffering soul is MUSIC!!!! When I put my head phones on and listen to Mr. Self Destruct by NIN as LOUD as I can....it flushes my entire being of negative emotion and regenerates me!

This is what I'm listening to now...and it's soooooo sweet!
AWOLNATION - Hollow Moon

500x500.jpg

Wanna share what you're listening to?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Earth Child

https://youtu.be/XPPMSfCdUng?list=PL...PAiYUaJ5E2mQr3

i love this song this played in my church
Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

rahrah, we have a few Music Threads, if you're interested.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...use-music.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...arries-20.html
Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

if you like Awolnation listen to thier smash hit 'Sail'
Old 01-05-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Thanks SW....that song is from their first album...which restored my faith in music...there are so many great songs on that album! I also love all the music that Aaron Bruno did before AWOL.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lonely the brave - the days war.

I can listen and enjoy every track on the album. "Kings of the mountain" is my fav.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been listening to this quite a bit recently: Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole

Some people could maybe find it a bit depressing, but I find it the opposite; it gives me strength and reminds me that I am actually a WE and there are lot of people with problems and we are never alone however we feel. It also reminds me the horror and grief that addiction and substance abuse causes, and it is never the answer. If it is you're asking the wrong questions.

I also like the 'I'd like to fly' part, and think that we can all get close to that and do what Layne (the singer) never could, who tragically died. I like to think that beating addiction is a big middle finger up to the demons every time someone wins.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Perhaps appropriately for this forum, I've been learning New Order's Temptation this week, as decided I want to cover it with my band. What a great, great song. Really brings my mood up as I sing along to it, with that incredibly catchy driving beat.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't yet play what you're listening to and I'm not listening to anything at the moment, but I will say that yes music saved and saves my soul too!!

I would not have survived my childhood and adolescence without the gift of music.

Music was the only thing that was able to drown out all the verbal abuse I went through during my mother's rages or my father's rants. Music was the best escape ever. Sometimes I would try to sing lyrics in my head. And when I was finally able to escape, I grabbed my headphones, walked around the neighborhood or took a drive, and played music as loud as I could.

Music also was one of the few things that made me happy. And sometimes music was able to soothe my soul. I have a wide range of musical likes.

My tastes have changed over the years, and I'm much older now, so I gravitate toward different types of music, but I am forever grateful for the gift of music.

Music helped me get in touch with my soul.

I even have some "recovery songs", like The Beatles "Let it Be", Chicago's "Getting Stronger Every Day", etc.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Hey LiveinPeace.....my Dad introduced me to music at a super young age...he had a little music shop back in the 70's that was painted a gawd awful funky orange and brown...and he had this gawd awful PERM!!!! Yes...it was the 70's!
Anyways...at home he used to put headphones on me while he 'dealt' with my alcoholic mother....it was my escape.....then and now. It moves me like nothing else can.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

OpenTuning....EVERYTHING by New Order is amaze!!!! They are right up there at the top of my list! Especially Temptation!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've taken to collecting vinyl records in the past few years. I like a wide variety of styles and acts. This has duel purposes. The music calms me, and every weekend I set out searching the thrift shops for bargains. It keeps me busy, I get a thrill when I find something especially cool, and I discover great music in the bargain.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeap I love my music during the day, on my way to and from work, and in my evenings!!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rahrah, I concur on the benefits of music for our troubled souls

My recent go to have been

Unchained by Johnny Cash

Love Story by Yelawolf
Old 01-06-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rahrah View Post
Hey LiveinPeace.....my Dad introduced me to music at a super young age...he had a little music shop back in the 70's that was painted a gawd awful funky orange and brown...and he had this gawd awful PERM!!!! Yes...it was the 70's!
Anyways...at home he used to put headphones on me while he 'dealt' with my alcoholic mother....it was my escape.....then and now. It moves me like nothing else can.
Hi Rahrah! Your post made me smile! Yeah I remember the orange, brown, (and goldenrod yellow and olive green) from the 70s! Horrible colors! lol. I bet your dad wore bell bottoms too? lol

I loved that he put headphones on you while he dealt with your mother. What a great idea that was. Hope he had good taste in music. ;-)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livinginhope View Post
I've taken to collecting vinyl records in the past few years. I like a wide variety of styles and acts. This has duel purposes. The music calms me, and every weekend I set out searching the thrift shops for bargains. It keeps me busy, I get a thrill when I find something especially cool, and I discover great music in the bargain.
There's nothing like vinyl. The sound has so much character to it. I regret selling my vinyl albums. This is such a cool hobby.

Music helped me get in touch with my feelings.