Notices

The Solution! A Hangover Pill!!!!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Solution! A Hangover Pill!!!!

No, I'm not talking about a pill that removes hangovers but one that GIVES you hangovers.

Hear me out. I've been on this stupid 3 day cycle for months. So I drink one day. The next day, the hangover symptoms are so bad that I refuse to drink. The day after I have milder symptoms but coupled with the memory of the previous day, I refuse to drink again. By the third everything is in the distant past and I feel that there is no harm in drinking.

My thinking is that if I pop a hangover pill every day, then I will feel like crap and not drink every day. Similar to Antabuse, but very different.

So I will need a chemist, a biologist, a salesperson and a private banker. Any takers?

KP
Old 01-05-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I lived like that for years. I went from drinking 7 days a week to maybe four or five days a week in the end because I was simply too hung over to drink.

I never took a morning drink but I did reach the point of daily withdrawals where I had really high blood pressure and sweated a lot. Have you reached this point? Night sweats?

I felt so terrible most days of the week that I simply could not continue. Again, I was passed the fun stuff and into the daily withdrawals.

Are used to think up funny plans like you propose here but then I look at the people on here who have been sober for six months, a year, five years, 10 years. I figured I wanted what they had.

Can I let you in on a secret? And this is not some preachy sober crap. Really listen.

Being a nondrinker is actually much much easier then trying to manage drinking. Early on we think of sobriety as so much work but Jesus, the drinking was much much more work. Sobriety is actually the easy way out. Give it a shot.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

So you'd pop a pill to make you feel bad so you wouldn't drink. Sounds easier and more fun to just not drink and feel good.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have read about a pill which can be prescribed by a medical doctor and cause hangovers that can help some people stop drinking.

Perhaps you can discuss this with your doctor and see what they think? Different things work for different people. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by keeppushing View Post
My thinking is that if I pop a hangover pill every day, then I will feel like crap and not drink every day. Similar to Antabuse...
Until you decide you want to get drunk and skip the pill. Beside, living each day with a hangover is not living fully.

There are traditional recovery methods that work. Are you giving them their full due?
Old 01-05-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The true physical withdrawls of alcohol last anywhere up to a week. It's the psychological part that you need to control to maintain a sober life.
Taking a pill to induce a hangover to avoid drinking seems like a lot of work and not much fun. I whitenuckled it for the first week.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i didnt get sober to feel like crap and want to die.
i got sober because i felt like crap and wanted to die.

yer thinkins screwed up and reads like yer lookin for an easier softer way.
be easier and simpler to surrender and use the suggestions given to stop.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I think the OP was being facetious. At least, I hope so!

Even so, it is odd, don't you think, what alcohol does to our minds. Making us believe it would be helpful to create some artificial pain in order to overwhelm the temporary mental discomfort associated with resisting the bottle.

That mental dicomfort is only temoporary, you know. If you stay dry it goes away in a few weeks or months. The freedom you'll experience when it does will wipe away any notion of a hangover pill.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Being a nondrinker is actually much much easier then trying to manage drinking. Early on we think of sobriety as so much work but Jesus, the drinking was much much more work. Sobriety is actually the easy way out. Give it a shot.
Totally agree. My God the never ending rollercoaster of misery that my drinking became. I had a working week cycle and a weekend cycle.

Midweek: get drunk all evening, wake up the next morning feeling like death after a night of the sweats, panic about what emails or texts I may have sent, rush into work late and struggle through the day. Too sick to drink that night so maybe one or two max. Wake up the following day feeling better and repeat the cycle. I was literally ALWAYS either drinking or recovering from a hangover.

Weekend: Drink non stop for two days. Wake up on Sunday evening with the shakes and terrible anxiety barely able to walk and function.

Being sober and battling cravings is nothing compared to the hell that was my late stage drinking.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I will head up the sales department. Years back I was in manure / fertilizer sales - this should be right up my alley!

keep coming back!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get what your saying . . . now will there be any sales bonuses?!!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by least View Post
So you'd pop a pill to make you feel bad so you wouldn't drink. Sounds easier and more fun to just not drink and feel good.
This 5000%
Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its a cute idea
The hangovers kept me from daily drinking too.
Xoxo
Old 01-05-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally, I think trying to find a pill to help you stop drinking is not the answer. Stopping drinking is just the tip of the iceberg. It's then that you have to begin dealing with the underlying issues that caused your alcoholism.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I never took a morning drink but I did reach the point of daily withdrawals where I had really high blood pressure and sweated a lot. Have you reached this point? Night sweats?

Are used to think up funny plans like you propose here but then I look at the people on here who have been sober for six months, a year, five years, 10 years. I figured I wanted what they had.

Can I let you in on a secret? And this is not some preachy sober crap. Really listen.

No sweats, just headache and loss of optimism. The humour was my way of letting off steam because I DO want sobriety, just finding it is real difficult.

Thanks for the support,

KP
Old 01-05-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi All,

As Nonsensical said, and some of the others understood, I was trying to inject a little humour into what is for a me a difficult situation as I work on sobriety.

For those who got it, I hope you enjoyed it.

For those who actually thought I want such a pill I hope you forgive the attempted humour and I would like to thank you for caring enough to post.

If you want to know why I needed a little humour: every night of the week that I go to bed sober (usually 3 nights) I cry myself to sleep hoping that my updated plan will work for the following day. I will never give up. Never.

KP
Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sry KP im normally pretty good at catching humour. I guess when i come to this forum im in a more serious tone, so it was an honest mistake.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unfortunately my cure for hangovers was...drink more...so I'm guessing I'm not in the target audience demographic

Better days are ahead KP - have faith

D
Old 01-06-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hang in there KP!!

SR is in your corner, lean on us in the evenings if things get too much!!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by keeppushing View Post
I will never give up. Never.
Makes probability of success 100%.