Notices

10 days and counting....why do we count

Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 days and counting....why do we count

Somebody commented today to me that it sucks that you have gotten to the point where you have to keep track of dry days.

Made me think...
Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me a sense of accomplishment, it takes work to stay sober, a lot of work at the start but it gets easier.

That is all it means to me

Andrew
Old 01-04-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

At first it's really hard and you're not sure you can do it. So you count 1, 2, 5, 7, 10, 30, whatever. It's proof you can do it.

Maybe once you're up at 1,000 it just plain gets FUN.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me it's the amount of time since I nearly lost it all.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me it is a sense of accountability, when I have stopped counting in the past I have slipped up. I think once I have a year or more sober time I may feel comfortable not counting anymore.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Some people count, some don't...whatever works for you is the best choice :-)

And congrats on 10 days btw!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Goodjob. I try not to count, its a reminder of how many days i lost everything again. lol
Old 01-04-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think about it everyday. But it gives me a sense of accomplishment. Maybe it is my OCD, but I closely track my running, too.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-days.html

I posted a similar thread. I am not sure f the above lnk will get you there, but its worth a shot! Congrats on the 10 days btw! I am on day 71 and i plan on keepng a count. As each day goes by, the farthe i am from a person i didnt want to ge anymore.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In early sobriety I counted days religiously. At first it seemed to take forever for the count to start to add up. For some reason it was important for me to get some sobriety "cred" by getting more days. I can't even remember how long I counted daily, but it was surely well into the 200's. Then without even realizing it I slowly quit checking every day although hitting a year was exciting. Since then counting days has faded away completely, and it's no longer important to me. I did find it a big motivator in early sobriety, but sometimes I think I got a little too hung up on the day count and used it as a measure of how worthy I was or how good my sobriety was.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's been 28 days since my last drink. I don't obsess but I just counted. Believe it or not that's kind of amazing. It was 3 then 4 then 7 days. 28 days is a long time to not have a drink when it's readily available.

I count because I don't want to start over. I'm about to be one month Sober! If I have a beer it will take me another 31 days to get here again. I have an investment to look after.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Eventually most of us stop keeping track of days, but Count or don't count golfdad...whatever helps

Old 01-05-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love numbers, and I love the sense of accomplishment that I get from counting each day.

Congrats on the 10 days (or I guess 11 now?).

jaybee

Day 5
Old 01-05-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I count, but it's not always a conscious thing. What I do like though is that I can associate different days with different moods. For example, day 1 - headache, anxiety, paranoia, sweats. Day 15 - calm, more focused, some craving.

However, day 62 today. Full of head cold. But even waking with a streaming nose and a fuzzy head, I feel a lot better than I did in the first week!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Eventually most of us stop keeping track of days, but Count or don't count golfdad...whatever helps

This post made me smile

I counted days at first to count how far away I was getting from that version of me then I started counting months cos i couldnt keep track of days till 18 months then I started forgetting months rofl

Now I count days on bobs thread as I'm less than 100 days away from a 1000 days & its fun counting down each day

I agree count if its important to you but don't if it isn't
Old 01-05-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Golfdad View Post
Somebody commented today to me that it sucks that you have gotten to the point where you have to keep track of dry days.

Made me think...
Keeping track of dry days seems a lot like keeping track of one's sentence...like the number of days you are in jail. And yes, that sucks.

But counting each blessed day of sobriety, noting the daily accomplishment of not succumbing to our addiction...that does not suck my friend. It rocks!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I counted in the beginning a lot. It made me feel like I was accomplishing something. Now I don't, but occasionally I go to this website that calculates days, just to see where I'm at and I can't lie.....it adds a little fuel each time to keep my "sober train" running down the right track!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Like many have stated, I count to keep myself accountable and a sense of accomplishment....but whatever works for you is what is important.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Was this person someone who didn't understand alcohol addiction?

The reality is anyone who can drink normally, many don't get how serious things got, for the need to now be Sober, and how difficult Hour 1, Day 1, Week 1 really is to someone who drank every day for years.

So don't be discouraged, here at SR we understand, counting can bring some focus and a sense of achievement to things which is important early on!!

Great job on Day 10 Golfdad!!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 10!
I'm also on day10��
Every morning I circle the day on my calanders and count it as a sober day. I tell myself I can't drink because I already marked as a day sober. What ever motivates you...