Notices

First AA meeting

Old 01-04-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA meeting

Decided i can't do this on my own, going to my first AA meeting by myself tonight and i am terrified...being a terribly shy person..which is why i drank isn't helping..wish me luck...
Old 01-04-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great step in the right direction
Old 01-04-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Good Luck
people there are nice and welcoming
Its great that you are going its a big step
*Sitting in your pocket *
Old 01-04-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How did it go?

Originally Posted by fhl41 View Post
Decided i can't do this on my own, going to my first AA meeting by myself tonight and i am terrified...being a terribly shy person..which is why i drank isn't helping..wish me luck...
How was your first meeting? I just got home from one.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi fhl -- it's a really big step to admit we need help and take action to get that help -- good for you. How was the meeting?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

fhl41, good for you

How was it?
The first meeting I went to was great. The next meeting/group...no so much. They are all different. If you didn't like your first meeting try another or go to a "Speaker Meeting." I have enjoyed every Speaker Meeting I've been to and learned a lot. At a Speaker Meeting one person gets up and talks the entire time-usually they have a few good jokes. They are not a glum lot.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

AA is "shy person friendly." They will let you listen until you're ready to speak.

And also, different meetings have different flavors. If you visit a few, you might find one you like. I'm not really into AA but I found a couple I enjoy. And they welcome me on my own terms.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by fhl41 View Post
GOOD

Originally Posted by Garden1228 View Post
How was your first meeting? I just got home from one.
FOR

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
fhl41, good for you

How was it?
The first meeting I went to was great. The next meeting/group...no so much. They are all different. If you didn't like your first meeting try another or go to a "Speaker Meeting." I have enjoyed every Speaker Meeting I've been to and learned a lot. At a Speaker Meeting one person gets up and talks the entire time-usually they have a few good jokes. They are not a glum lot.
YA'LL!!!!

keep coming back, it works if ya work it.........
Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG it was amazing, I can't believe it took me so long to go. However, I don't think I was really ready to go till now. I don't think I would have really appreciated it for what it was until now. I had to get to this point of realizing I need a big change in order to really quit.

I have realized over the past couple of months that I need help with this addiction. I quit for 10 months a couple years ago on my own, (no meetings or anything) and I only isolated myself, just like I did when I drank. It only took one bad thing to happen to me (break-up with bf) and it was an excuse to drink again. I had no support. I can't do that again.

My mom is sick and has terminal cancer, I have been drinking this past year because its a damn excuse because I have been feeling sorry for myself. I just can't do it anymore or its going to kill me.

I actually spoke at the meeting, I honestly don't remember what the heck I said, its all a blur, I know I spoke from my heart though and I was crying at the end. It felt so good though, I really listened to the others too, we are all so similar in our stories, I felt at home.

I have realized if I continue to allow my insecurities to rule me I will continue to drink. I need to get over this shy business. I need to find myself again, the person I was before I ever drank. (going back a long time...). It is scary as hell and it is all new to me but its time I finally made a change.

Thank you for your messages of support, you are all so wonderful.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Really, really pleased that your first AA meeting went so well. Keep going back and go to as many meetings as you can at the beginning. I am on my 11th sober day and have attended a meeting every day (sometimes 2) except for 1 day. I have found such support, identification and a sense of belonging and understanding for my struggle with my alcoholism. It is very early days for me but along with the amazing folk on SR, for the first time I feel positive that I can stay sober one day at a time.

Keep us posted.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Another happy ending to a story that starts out with the fear of attending a first AA meeting. Thanks for sharing your experience. It just might help someone who is trying to work up enough courage to go. Often not an easy task.

I like your signature line.

Namaste
Old 01-05-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

my nickname in highschool was shyboy.
the program of aa showed me i wasnt shy.
i had low self esteem and was afraid of what others thought of me.
learned a hadda lotta fears controlling me.

good on ya,fhl!!
next meeting i suggest getting a big book.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Well done for going to the AA meeting glad you like it
keep going back
Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I felt like you but now after a few meetings I want more and to actually find a sponsor. This way I don't have to feel guilty calling someone.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I want to build up the courage too......

I have been drinking everyday since 2005 and started half a bottle of wine ad built up to 2 bottle or a bottle plus 5 vodkas etc. I have got to a desperate state now and as a mum of 2 girls at secondary school it's becoming harder to live with myself and the guilt day to day. My mum has been diagnosed with cancer since last Feb (lung and brain) and although not close (very complicated) things are getting worse. I am ashamed guilty angry etc.... I really want to quit but don't think I can do cold turkey and when I tapper I find it hard to stop. I want to go to aa but the thought makes me want to hide also but I know I need it ....oh I don't know I just need to start. There is one tonight. Sorry to rant xx
Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good choice Fhl
Old 01-05-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done on taking the first step and admitting you have a problem. Please, please try and pluck up the courage to go to that meeting. I know it is hard but everyone will welcome you wholeheartedly and, in my experience, everyone will go out of their way to help you feel as comfortable as possible. You do not have to speak, just listen and realise you are not alone.

Keep checking into SR - another valuable place to be where people will understand and offer advice and support.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're working on your recovery!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA is the only place I can let my guard down and be who I am warts and all. It is the place I feel safest and most at home
Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am glad your meeting went well fhl41