Fantastic Fhl!!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What a lovely thread
Old 01-05-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
my nickname in highschool was shyboy.
the program of aa showed me i wasnt shy.
i had low self esteem and was afraid of what others thought of me.
learned a hadda lotta fears controlling me.

good on ya,fhl!!
next meeting i suggest getting a big book.
You are right TomSteve, I am insecure, always have been, I am finally recognizing that the alcohol is just masking the issue. I have so many fears controlling me its ridiculous that is why it took me years to go to an AA meeting. One step at a time though.

I hope anyone reading this is motivated to go to a meeting, if I can go anybody can. And you don't have to speak, I only spoke because I had a need to speak my truth finally.

I've realized that if I continue to drink I will never be who I am really meant to be. My soul/spirit whatever you want to call it, is so very tired of being ignored.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Gathering the courage to admit I needed help and going to my first AA meeting was difficult for me.

I had a similar reaction to you after the meeting.

A great sense of relief that I might have found a solution.

And a sense of sorrow that I didn't try AA a few years earlier.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

fhl41, that's fantastic!!! Your posts were so wonderful to read- I'm very happy you are finding your way!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic and addict. I can give you my own experience about going to my first AA meeting. Myself, I had to go to an "open" meeting because I wasn't fully convinced that I am an alcoholic. It was a small, informal meeting and we went around the room. When it got to me, I blurted out, "I think I might have a drinking problem!" I thought that they were going to tell me that I was nuts, insane, emotionally disturbed and didn't have a problem. What they actually did tell me is that I came to the right place. They said, "people who think that they have a drinking problem, do have a drinking problem. Because those who don't have drinking problems don't obsess over whether they have a drinking problem." I felt as if I had lost 20 ugly pounds of shame. I was so grateful. I was willing to stand on my head if that was what it would take to get rid of the pain. They told me, "go to 90 meetings in 90 days." Which is what I did. The next night, I went to a closed AA meeting and said the fateful words, "I am an alcoholic." I've been clean and sober for over 30 years and it does get better -- a lot better.