Notices

A Weekender Reunion! 1-1 '16 pt. 3

Old 01-05-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm going to see Star Wars tonight with the guy friend. We have been spending a little time together since the blow up and things are ok. I no longer have any illusions that we will be anything other than friends, so it's less stressful for both of us. He's just determined to remain a bachelor, so I had to let go. He says he's too messed up to be in a relationship. Well me too. At least for now. Better this way.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Oh, and bonus - he's doing sober January. So at least some of the weirdness will go away for a few weeks.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Sao, ten pounds isn't so much but that's generous of you. I did read that the alcohol guidelines were being revised. How much difference will that make?
I think she has about £300 pledged. The guideline for men are being reduced to the same as women (14 units per week) and people will be advised to have three days a week without alcohol. They won't make a slightest bit of difference imo. Minimum pricing might do so but the booze industry is too strong for that to happen
Old 01-05-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thats good Marty! Xx

I'm absolutely single, I broke things off with my neighbour again....
He gets too boyfriendish, I keep telling him no relationship.
He kinda just says " ok" but then acts like my boyfriend anyway, I really don't like that.
I'm happy single though, this year I'm focusing mainly on expanding business, school, and doing a bit of travelling.
And getting really good at yoga, I'm decent right now, but I want to be excellent!!!

Off to work!
Xoxo
Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I think she has about £300 pledged. The guideline for men are being reduced to the same as women (14 units per week) and people will be advised to have three days a week without alcohol. They won't make a slightest bit of difference imo. Minimum pricing might do so but the booze industry is too strong for that to happen
Aren't the UK guidelines really high before the change?

Uk looks like it has a serious alcohol problem
Old 01-05-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Enjoy the movie Marty. I'm glad things are more relaxed.

Bodhi, I'm working on yoga too. I've just started back after a long absence so I'm way behind you. Even the little bit I've done really helps
Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Sao, I don't think the changes in the guidelines will make much difference either. For a time, anyway. Too absolutely entrenched. Dizzee must be good at fundraising. That's an impressive sum.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hello! Home from work. Waiting to head to therapy. Hot dogs and beans for dinner.

Have fun at the movie Marty!!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Aren't the UK guidelines really high before the change?

Uk looks like it has a serious alcohol problem
21 units men 14 units women

Yes Jen we definitely have a serious alcohol problem plus lots of vested interest in keeping that way. There is a debate as to how much it is costing the National Health Service (along with things like smoking, obesity and Type 2 diabetes - all the things that are to some extent are self inflicted). I would prefer it if the debate was about living healthily for its own sake.

Ruby - yes, she is very socially active is our Dizzee, she has lots of friends. The dry January thing is very popular, before I was an alcoholic I used to do it myself - not for charity, just to save money
Old 01-05-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hot dogs and beans sounds good. I don't have any.

oooh. It would be even better with some of that cornbread.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Marty- That is great.... have fun at the movies. Let us know how the cookies turn out!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Jen, what do you use for cleaning mirrors and tile? I've asked my cleaning lady to find an alternative to ammonia and bleach. Last time she cleaned the fumes made me nauseous!

Have fun tonight Marty!

I vacillate between being ok single and wanting to find mr right. The problem is I think I'm way too picky! There's probably not a man in the world that could meet my criteria but I don't know how to lower my standards and be " ok" with certain things!

In my experience, most people don't care about guidelines...be it with alcohol, or nutrition, or exercise. If they did we wouldn't have the health epidemics plaguing our society.

Work is boring today. Lots of downtime. Days like this I feel like I'm wasting my life doing meaningless crap. Blah.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Wow 21 for men and 14 for women. My doctors have always said more like 5-7 per week max. Of course, they did not know how much I was actually drinking. Until last year when I needed a physical for treatment, then I had to own up to my more like 21 per week. Or more. Ouch.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Uggghhh... I am catching a cold. I will get home later and head to bed. I was up super early and am very tired.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by brynn View Post
I've asked my cleaning lady to find an alternative to ammonia and bleach. .
Brynn, you have a cleaning lady?! Now I am jealous. Seriously.

My ex was dead against me having my own car and, for some mysterious reason, buying a dishwasher. I still have no idea what it was about the dishwasher - some extravagant form of male chauvinism?

After we broke up I bought a car. Then I bought a dishwasher).

As for being single - I am honestly enjoying it. Surely, there are always some "kind" people to remind me that I can miss my "last train". But as they come those are people who can't clear the mess in their own home depot. So I keep enjoying my ride)

Bed time for me.

See you all)
Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Uggghhh... I am catching a cold. I will get home later and head to bed. I was up super early and am very tired.
Nip this cold in the bud, Ken. Get well soon!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Wow 21 for men and 14 for women. My doctors have always said more like 5-7 per week max. Of course, they did not know how much I was actually drinking. Until last year when I needed a physical for treatment, then I had to own up to my more like 21 per week. Or more. Ouch.
Oh - OK one unit is like a half pint of weak beer or a third of a glass of wine. That's what I mean about guidelines - they are imprecise to begin with and to apply them you need to know the definition of what is meant by a "glass" of wine or how strong your beer is. They are too vague and varied to be of any use
Old 01-05-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Be careful Ken - it could be Manflu
Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Dreaded manflu?! Horrors! Ken, take care.

Brynn, is your cleaning lady actually mixing the ammonia and bleach? That's a lethally toxic mixture. That said, white vinegar works on mirrors. I use bleach on mildew if the caulk gets bad but otherwise don't use it for cleaning.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Feel better soon Ken

MB...don't be jealous. The truth is I really cant afford her anymore but she's become kind of part of the family and I can't let her go. She only comes every two weeks now and even that's too much.....I live alone and the house doesn't get very dirty...just dusty! Eventually it'll be down to once a month.
Oh...and congrats on the car and dishwasher!

Watched a led zeppelin thing last night from 1976. Omg Robert Plant was freaking sexy in a skinny long haired kind of way!! The only thing I didn't get was the short puffy sleeves.