Notices

Day Two as a Newcomer

Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Two as a Newcomer

Hi all

As day two comes to a close I'm feeling alright physically - yes I'm craving but nothing that seems unmanageable at the minute.

The thing that is scaring me is that the same old voice is already starting - and the situation wasn't helped by an old (heavy drinking friend) getting in touch and suggesting we plan a weekend tying one on in the coming weeks.

I can't believe that the inner persuasion to give in is starting so quickly (seemingly more so than in my previous attempts to quit).

I remain determined - but today has been a slight reminder of why I have just given up giving up in the past - entirely psychological and sadly, almost totally due to a perceived pressure from friends and loved ones to return to my old ways - when I know so clearly those ways make me very unhappy.

Asyuk
Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me I had to tell my friends I can't drink, u used to say I don't drink but a professional explained the difference so I changed how I worded it.

Once I informed what I thought were friends, most quickly faded away and pretty fast, it takes time to replace them.

Be mindful of two things, our AV and putting yourself in a high risk situation, play the tape through, most of us know where it leads to and ends.

Wishing you the best
Andrew
Old 01-04-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Asyuk,

Let me help. You are not going to plan a weekend to tie one on or just hang out while your friend ties one on.

Plan on doing something to make your life better. You can stop the madness.

Welcome
Old 01-04-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Just because your friend wants to drink, doesn't mean you have to drink. Ask if you can meet somewhere other than a bar. And tell him you quit drinking.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Asyuk!!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Sometimes we have to step away from friends and loved ones, at least for awhile. I know I did and I had to remove some people from my life who were toxic to me. You know you need to stop drinking, so keep focused on the goal and you'll be fine.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Asyuk, Outstanding

You don't want to start over do you? I've started over enough times to know It's not something I want to do.
I have to stay away from friends and places involving alcohol for a few more months. After some time I'm told I can handle it.