Notices

Newbie here, will hit 24hrs in 9 hrs

Old 01-04-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here, will hit 24hrs in 9 hrs

Hi everyone,

Woke with shaky hands but I have a prescribed beta blocker low dose which seems to have taken the shakes away just the stinky sweat and insomnia to go. Hoping people will be around tonight because from previous times I have stopped it's the insomnia and thoughts that freak me out the most. It will be nice to know that I will be clan in the morning though. I am not a get up in the morning and have a drink type but new Yrs meant massive excess that continued through to last night. I cut down but now want to stop. I probably have only had a total of 2 months sober nights in the last 10 years but would try and counter act it by fitness training nearly every morning and eating healthy. Hamster on a wheel situation. It is strange because some nights in a happy emotional state I would just have 2 drinks. Labelling myself an emotional/ bored drunk that spiralled massively. Happy to be on here. Vix
Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Do you have a recovery plan?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there it will be worth it
Old 01-04-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome back! Do you have a recovery plan?
Well just staying today but starting back at my kundalini yoga tomorrow evening. Unemployed atm and signing with an agency Wednesday up in London so want to hold my sober head up high for then. Also going to this Sunday as really nice people victoryoutreachwestlondon.org.
I don't ant to get to the point everything is lost like some people so will see if I can focus helping myself through others too 😊. Thank you for your reply
Old 01-04-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mbrown400 View Post
Hang in there it will be worth it
Thank you 😊
Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There is a night owl thread that Dee started. It's on page two here at the moment. That could help. If not, start your own night thread.

I've started back at yoga and it's really helping me. Plus then I have something to look forward to in the evening.

Keep going! You can do it.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We are pulling for you and here to help, as asked above have you given thought to putting a plan in place to stay sober? Glad to hear you are approaching the end of day one, keep in mind this is a sickness and when we drink we can become very sick so things like sleeping/feelings and in short how we handle life take time to fully come back to us but they do. A plan to me is a critical 2nd step, the first being to stop which you have accomplished.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Vix!!
Old 01-04-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
We are pulling for you and here to help, as asked above have you given thought to putting a plan in place to stay sober? Glad to hear you are approaching the end of day one, keep in mind this is a sickness and when we drink we can become very sick so things like sleeping/feelings and in short how we handle life take time to fully come back to us but they do. A plan to me is a critical 2nd step, the first being to stop which you have accomplished.
Hi there,

I've tried AA but got a lot of mixed messages (some like take those vals from the net), others like eat chocolate and fizzy water (it has less calories) and then the prize different finish to one group was a middle aged male stating "if I knew there were so many attractive women here I'd come sooner". Then there is the alcohol "pre detox group" NHS service where from where I was offered NEET vodka from a guy there because of the probation service (I only stated I really wanted a biscuit because I was hungry and sober). Half the group where outside in the break drinking booze and empty bottles everywhere. It was upsetting to see so what I felt was desrespect for a free service. Maybe I was too judgemental. I followed the advice from the group to reduce slowly from the bottle of wine and half a night mixed with weekend binges of larger amounts but found this did not work for me. So I was really hoping by starting with talking about my experiences of seeking help and motivation from this inspiring forum would help. Another motivator is the NHS group psycho therapist would see me once I was sober. So my next plan is to try and contact my key worker there and see where this 24 hrs, bit by gets me. I have a long history of being victim to various types of abuse all involving alcohol and the wrong people. Simply, I do not want to be vulnerable and weak. Going for a hot bath in a bit with detox salts, made myself something good carb to eat earlier. Plus I don't want to be homeless and be fit back for work.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum Vix!!
Thank you 😊
Old 01-04-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was newly sober, I went to meetings because it got me out of the house and out of my head. It made me get up, get dressed, and go somewhere where there were people laughing and gathering together in the name of sobriety. I did that in the mornings.

In the afternoon and evenings I came here and posted in the "Class of March 2014" thread and anywhere else I felt called to post. It was mostly me reading in early days. I often came here at 3AM when I couldn't sleep. There is always someone here who is willing to talk. Use the site! There is a lot to read in lots of different categories.

Welcome
Old 01-05-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
When I was newly sober, I went to meetings because it got me out of the house and out of my head. It made me get up, get dressed, and go somewhere where there were people laughing and gathering together in the name of sobriety. I did that in the mornings.

In the afternoon and evenings I came here and posted in the "Class of March 2014" thread and anywhere else I felt called to post. It was mostly me reading in early days. I often came here at 3AM when I couldn't sleep. There is always someone here who is willing to talk. Use the site! There is a lot to read in lots of different categories.

Welcome
Thank you,

Made it through and managed to get nearly 8 hrs on off sleep with a one tripy moment. 😊
Old 01-05-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep up the good work
Old 01-05-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by stickyvicky43 View Post
Hi there,

I've tried AA but got a lot of mixed messages (some like take those vals from the net), others like eat chocolate and fizzy water (it has less calories) and then the prize different finish to one group was a middle aged male stating "if I knew there were so many attractive women here I'd come sooner". Then there is the alcohol "pre detox group" NHS service where from where I was offered NEET vodka from a guy there because of the probation service (I only stated I really wanted a biscuit because I was hungry and sober). Half the group where outside in the break drinking booze and empty bottles everywhere. It was upsetting to see so what I felt was desrespect for a free service. Maybe I was too judgemental. I followed the advice from the group to reduce slowly from the bottle of wine and half a night mixed with weekend binges of larger amounts but found this did not work for me. So I was really hoping by starting with talking about my experiences of seeking help and motivation from this inspiring forum would help. Another motivator is the NHS group psycho therapist would see me once I was sober. So my next plan is to try and contact my key worker there and see where this 24 hrs, bit by gets me. I have a long history of being victim to various types of abuse all involving alcohol and the wrong people. Simply, I do not want to be vulnerable and weak. Going for a hot bath in a bit with detox salts, made myself something good carb to eat earlier. Plus I don't want to be homeless and be fit back for work.
I found a reason many programs couldn't work for me over the years. Then I became willing to go to any lengths to get sober and discovered many things work towards me getting sober!!

The fellowship of AA can vary from group to group but the program of recovery in AA does not. The Big Book is a clear cut text book on how the original 100 recovered from alcoholism.

What is heard in the rooms at times is sick people sharing - it doesn't make them correct. At times we have to sift through that to gain understanding of the program. I assure you there are people in all groups knowledgeable and willing to help. We just have to stick around for a while to find them. A group, however with all it's human flaws can be a truly amazing place.

When I drank and said I want to quit I had a lot of contempt prior to investigation. How dare they suggest that? I can't believe some sick alcoholic would utter such words?!?

The program is very simple -
Step one - The problem
Step two - The solution
Steps 3-12 The simple instructions to recovery

Hope you'll find your way, maybe keep considering options that have been pushed aside.

keep coming back!