Notices

Day 3 - Checking In!

Old 01-04-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Day 3 - Checking In!

Checking in on the morning of day 3, still sober after fending off the alcohol cravings for the second evening last night Fell asleep reasonably easily last night after going to bed at 1:30am, and didn't experience the thumping heart or sweating I did the previous night.

The subject of the day today is anxiety. I'm new to sobriety as you all know, and from what I can gather from what I've read online anxiety is a normal feeling when getting sober? I'll put it into perspective...

Now I'm on day 3 of not drinking I'm starting to find myself looking at my life a lot and the current position that I'm in. I find myself comparing my life to friends the same age as me as wondering why they are further ahead in life, is this normal? I find myself panicking about all these things I need to do and its kind of overwhelming. Now that I'm sober (or getting sober anyway) I feel like I'm having to face all the things I've put off doing in my life up to being 27. Now they have all come rushing to the surface as my brain is starting to think clearly again.

I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to push on with this sober journey and not drive myself crazy. I lost my job due to drinking, so getting a new one is obviously the priority, but its all the little things that I'm finding hard to cope with.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks again for listening,

Daniel
Old 01-04-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have a lot of strength and insight for deciding to change your life at 27. Be proud of that. A lot of us waited a lot longer than that.

The anxiety will get better. Quickly, the first few days are the worst and after the first week it improves a lot.

Try not to compare yourself to others, its something that a lot of us struggle with. I do. But a lot of your friends no doubt have things going on that they are so happy or proud of too. We are all human.

You are a day ahead of me, but I have sadly done this before. Goodluck, and let some of us who are older be a cautionary tale to you.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And gentle exercise, even a short stroll, and fresh air and being really kind to yourself are all really good for the anxiety. and camomile tea, and eating regularly. Low blood sugar will make anxiety worse. Netflix and words with friends. Try not to worry about the job just yet, think about that in another week or so.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Thank you for the kind words Lisa. I'm fortunate that I have an amazing girlfriend and a mother who are both willing to cover my share of my household bills should it come to paying them and I still don't have a job. So this allows me to be in the fortunate position of being able to give myself another week to really get into this sober journey before I start pursuing finding a new job.

I need this, I'm going to keep pushing forward no matter what.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing NJS. I feel like a lot of folks around here, including myself, have those same feelings. Perhaps starting a journal and making some lists/goals will help put things into perspective? I find for myself seeing and realizing some good things things about myself when I am feeling down really help. It's not all bad and you should be proud of yourself for making this decision. Look for the opportunities you have in front of you to make the life you want. I'm 38 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up Much love dude! Keep on keeping on.

EDIT: Okay I got a cup of coffee in me and I thought of something else I wanted to say to you I've struggled with my addictions my whole life and I am 38 now. When I was in my 20s, I thought the exact same as you. I'd look at my friends who were married and had careers and the house and all of that. I considered myself a failure for not being them. But I am not them, I am me. I feel like measuring oneself on the basis of these things is not healthy and not "real" (if that makes sense). You are who you are and you have a different path. Don't spend your life comparing yourself to other people or you'll miss what's happening in your own. Choosing sobriety is a big move and be proud of yourself. You can do this and you can have the life you were meant to have.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Grats on day 3 your doing awesome
Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic Daniel!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 01-04-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are doing great, at this stage do not push yourself too much, it takes time for the fog to lift and it's generally accepted DT's/thoughts are 3 to 5 days, then things start to clear up.

I can relate as I had a great career again, relapse in Nov, off work until the 12th of Dec, let go on the 23 as management reviewed my month away on a binge and didn't feel I was worth the risk. Ruined my Christmas as well as everyone I know including my adult children turned their back, these forums helped me through as the members understand, many of us have been there.

All the best and thanks for sharing

Andrew
Old 01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I struggle everyday with my lack of progression in life compared to my friends and peers. I was well on my way in my 20's. Career, serious relationship, condominium.

Then as I approached 30, my drinking progressed into alcoholism. My friends all settled down, married/kids etc. I descended into an alcoholic hell and lost everything. The girl, my career, all money/possessions. I struggling to rebuild my life but I see a therapist and no longer feel inadequate or like a failure.

Sh*t happens in life. I had a friend recently lose his wife to cancer at only age 34, so I think my problems pale in comparison.

Just don't give up and keep fighting!