Notices

Making a change

Old 01-03-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making a change

Ok, I've been drinking 10-18 beers a night for the last 7 years. I tried quitting before but did it cold turkey and struggled with servers anxiety and withdraws. It scared me back to drinking, at least that's the best way I can put it. Last night I wasn't feeling well and only drank two beers. I felt great when I woke up, like a new person. Led me to try this again. I stayed up last night thinking how I'm not afraid to die, not at all... But I'm scared to leave my wife and kids behind especially as a result of my lifestyle. So tonight, I drank 6 beers as my true journey of weening myself off of alcohol begins. But I'm also curious if cutting my intake in half is safe. I won't go cold turkey again because of the serious effects it had on my life. So going from at least 12 to 6 overnight, is that safe? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mate, if you're having withdraw symptoms the safest thing for you to do is see a GP to help you do it safely
Welcome to SR
Old 01-03-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not having withdraw symptoms now. Last time I struggled with high blood pressure day two and three. After that it was anxiety. I went to the doctor and he prescribed me Prozac. That made it worse. Turned out to be my caffeine intake. I guess over the years the alcohol balanced the two out. Last night I had no withdraws but the last time I quit it wasn't until day two when they started for me. So this time I want to do it safely.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Every person's reaction to quitting/detoxing is different. I have known people who went from drinking a case of beer a day to cold turkey with absolutely no withdrawal symptoms, and others who were 2-3 drinks a day who had severe physical withdrawal symptoms. The two most important things to keep in mind when you are quitting is 1 - listen to your body and be aware of any changes that concern you, and 2 - seek medical attention right away if something doesn't seem right. If your tapering seems to be too drastic, slow it down. And if tapering doesn't seem to be a safe method, or if you (like me) can't stick to your tapering plan, get medical supervision for your detox.

I was way too physically dependent to safely taper or detox at home, so I went to the hospital to be medically detoxed. One of my best friends, who had a similar intake of alcohol got scared straight by my situation, and he quit cold turkey. He just had the shakes for a couple of days and a few sweaty restless nights.

Either way, congratulations on your choice to stop drinking! Good luck, and be safe.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I had my last drink about an hour ago, ate and am lying down now. The thought of withdrawals is giving my some anxiety because I remember how scary it was last time. Physically I feel ok now and my wife is extremely supportive. I'm just trying to keep my mind occupied right now. I guess I am most scared because I barely drank any last night then only six tonight and feel like tonight withdrawals may start. I'm just gonna let it be, continue to pray and keep my mind busy. I love my family too much to let this continue to kill me.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

You sound like you have a good support system at home, and the right attitude to do this safely. Instead of telling yourself that you are scared about withdrawal, tell yourself that you are cautious and vigilant. If you're going to tell yourself a story about what's happening right now, you might as well make yourself the hero.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey J1985

we can;t give you medical advice here, and if if we could every case is different so noone can tell you if it's safe or not.

I think the best thing for anyone quitting to do is consult a doctor - but if you feel concerned or ill in anyway I think seeing a Dr then becomes a necessity.

D
Old 01-03-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I suffered a Grand Mal seizure once when tapering without medical guidance, so anything can happen. No harm in asking your doc for advice.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really do appreciate everything. Hearing all this definitely created some major concern. So far tonight other than not being tired or able to sleep I feel ok. Just so I'm aware. How long does has it taken some of you to experience symptoms of withdrawal and when did you know you were in the clear?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Withdrawals start for me within about 6 hours. I usually start to feel a little better in about 36 hours, if and only if I have nothing further to drink.

I'm not sure how long it takes to be "in the clear," or whether feeling better indicates we're safe. Gotta leave that to the medical professionals.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's a pretty serious drinking history so you're wise to be on alert. I had no physical withdrawals, but had some anxiety, insomnia, and irritability which was partially due to being sleep deprived...
Old 01-03-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're having severe withdrawal, best to see a doctor.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum J1985!!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by j1985 View Post

So going from at least 12 to 6 overnight, is that safe?
Possibly just a little too fast ??
Best see a doctor for a complete evaluation.
M-Bob
Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome J