Notices

Not so obvious health benefits of quitting

Old 01-03-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not so obvious health benefits of quitting

Hi, I have noticed when I don't drink my carpel tunnel goes away, and as soon as I drink again it flares up.

Does anyone else feel like sharing benefits they have noticed when they drink less, I thought It might be nice and motivating for us.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ha this is a big one for me. No constant stomach problems. Actual solid bowl movements, wow. And not falling down because I am so damn drunk is also a plus. The biggest thing for me that flares up is my rage and resentments. I turn from the peaceful Buddhist Christian into a hostile monster. Also not having hangovers is cool too. Nice idea for a thread. Thanks John
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

These are more obvious, but things you still take for granted: clearer skin, more of a "glow" to face and eyes (as opposed to dry), and so much energy. I love to walk and move my body when I am not hungover
Old 01-03-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My eyes get red and dry, and my vision gets slightly blurry the next day too, its hard for my eyes to focus for a couple days.
Also after not drinking for a while my stomach gets flat even if I haven't lost weight on the scale.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Before I quit drinking, my hair was falling out. Within a few months of being abstinent from alcohol, my hair grew back in full and thick. I also had a really gross pus-filled patch of hives on my chin from all of the toxins that my liver couldn't filter out anymore. That went away almost immediately. And one biggy that most people take for granted is my body's rate of healing physical injuries. I was always walking into stuff and falling down because I was always either wasted, sleep deprived, or both. I had bruises and scrapes all over both legs that remained unhealed for months. After detoxing, I could notice day by day how much everything was healing.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My eyes were extremely sensitive to light when I was drinking. I literally could not open my eyes outside without my sunglasses during the day. After I got sober, I read that sensitivity to light is a symptom of wet brain and it made me wonder if I was getting that - I had other symptoms too. I always just thought the sun had gotten brighter or something. Now my eyes aren't sensitive anymore.

In a way this wasn't directly from the alcohol but was certainly related to it - I never went to the dentist when drinking and when I finally went I had to go in twice just for cleaning and twice more to get four filings. Now I go every six months for a cleaning and they compliment me on how clean my teeth are.

I eat so much healthier now and do yoga and get out in the sun and just do a ton of healthier things now too.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I am way less negative now and I did not realize just how big of a jerk I was before I was sober.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There have been a lot of physical impovements over time but for me the most significant has been the end of involuntary shaking movements in the neck and shoulders which were directly related to drinking. I'm currently doing my Step One again and this is a crucial one for me. That level of adverse physical reaction shows that I can't drink alcohol safely.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My sleep apnea has virtually disappeared. I was at an average of 42 apneas per hour without my mask which is very high (basically means I used to just fall in an alcohol induced sleep on my back snore worse than Shrek and stop breathing temporarily 42 times an hour). I had my recent monitoring at the sleep clinic at 50 days sober and I can already stop wearing my sleep mask!

I have lost a significant amount of weight despite being sober for only 2 months.

I go too the loo normally and like a normal person!

I have rediscovered what it is like to taste and really appreciate enjoy quality organic foods.. great vegs, and fish etc now that my taste buds are excited about something other than wine!!
Old 01-03-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I've never been more than about 3 or 4 weeks, but I remember:
  • Better eyesight
  • Better sleep
  • Less anxiety
  • No more shaking
  • Improved physical coordination
  • Improved overall appearance
  • High energy
  • Sharper focus
  • Less bloating in face and abdomen
Old 01-03-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Seriously, I had pain in my right wrist and there is a permanent curve in my thumb from the pressure of constantly lifting heavy mugs of beer. My wrist no longer hurts and gives out on me, curve still there.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't want to kill myself.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

some of these may be a little gross:

1) no dark circles under my eyes 24/7 irrespective of how much sleep I am getting
2) clear eyes, no bloodshotting or yellow colouring at the edges
3) no diarrhoea
4) much less bloating in the stomach
5) urine that is not dark yellow in colour 24 hours a day and that does not stink
6) feet that don't smell (don't ask me to explain it)
7) easier to eat breakfast, am hungry now in the mornings
8) actually caring about your health. when I was drinking I had completely convinced myself that I would die young and resigned myself to that fact.
9) face is a normal colour
10) the sweating has stopped
Old 01-03-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How much time ya' got?

When I was drinking heavily every night I had....

Daily diarrhea
Flushed complexion/terribly red face
Sweaty face (no matter the temperature). Heck, full body sweats every day.
Stomach pains
"liver pains"
"pancreas pains" (those were somewhat mysterious but the pains were right over those organs
Shaky hands
Red eyes
HIGH blood pressure (180/something). I wish I could remember the bottom number. My doctor called it (and I will never forget the exact words) "stroke level." I was 31!
Esophagus/throat burning. Pretty severe.
Confusion
Irritability
Terrible short term memory/concentration
I could barely read a page in a book all the way through
heart palpitations
chest pains

And drum roll please......

A diagnosis of inflamed liver.

I have been sober and every one of those symptoms has gone. I am not kidding you. I removed the poison (alcohol) and they all disappeared. Imagine that.

I thought I was too far gone and it took some patience but here I am.

I just received a clean bill of health from my doctor.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great going everyone, I relate to nearly every one of them.

I love not stinking... I foolishly believed when I was heavy on the vodka no one could smell it on me.... OMG the chair I used to sit in stunk, and so did I.

Its nice not to sweat sludge like slime sweat as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

I got my life & soul back & I've been regenerating ever since sobriety is awesome
Old 01-04-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Though many physical changes for the better, I'm stable mentally (most of the time). I'm able to deal with things rationally instead completely freaking out for no reason. When I do fly off the deep end, I catch myself....each episode getting shorter and able to pick another path to take instead of the meltdown. I guess you could say I recognize the "*******" in me now and am better able to lead "her" in a different direction and teach "her" how better to deal.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Come to think of it, I also had a funny rash on my chest for years that did not go away-even with the prescribed creams from the dermatologist but it disappeared within a week or two when I quit drinking.

Also, I would get these small bumps on my hands and feet that were filled with this clear fluid. They would itch like hell. I googled the condition once because I was secretly convinced it must mean I was dying and apparently it's related to allergies and stress. It's harmless other than being painful and annoying. It's 98% better now.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thicker hair
Clearer skin
MUCH improved handwriting
Sharper mind
Solid sleep
Rash that cleared up
Improved vision

The list goes on and on and covers far more than what I was expecting. I knew my blood pressure and liver numbers were an issue but I didn't realize how much other stuff was being impacted by my drinking as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had started to get night sweats, really drenched, thought the menopause was starting. Just a few weeks sober and they stopped, nothing since!
Great thread.
xx