Notices

I need some advice please...

Old 01-03-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalNow View Post
First, I apologize for getting my first post in the wrong thread apparently. But I too have a problem similar to you. I have been sober fro 3 years and 2 months but I am finding it hard to live with my wife because of her drinking and medical marijuana. I posted in the family and friends board (al-anon), but I want to add my support to your thread also. It is very hard to carry the message when there is a separation with someone so close. Everything I stand for is in direct conflict with her choices. I don't get it, I'm looking for advise too.
It's hard, isn't it Eternal? Sometimes I wish my family and I could just move to another planet with zero alcohol!!! Hopefully we both will get some more good advice! Hang in there!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Sometimes just being able stay home is a break! Traveling can be stressful...
So true!!! I'm just not sure I even want to go for that very reason but feel I will be letting my husband & kids down.

With only 50 days of sobriety and a little over 4 months when we go on vacation (God willing), I worry about leaving my supportive environment so early in my recovery.

My sponsor, AA meetings, therapist & the security of my home are here. Since getting sober I have turned into a big chicken! It's weird! Not only do I hate going far away from home but I hate crowds! I also hate busy shopping centers & highway traffic! Haha. I'm fairly young but I'm acting like my grandma! Lol
Old 01-03-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Sometimes just being able stay home is a break! Traveling can be stressful...

I agree - especially seeing as my home if now clean; calm and organised, and is getting pretty as I don't mind spending money on nice things for it rather than spending it all on alcohol!!

I'm lucky we have a train line and station in my town, so we can get out for a nice day out by train. I'm usually glad to get home and settle with a book and put my feet up, or go to a meeting when we get back (while he goes to the pub).

At first my partner felt a little threatened when I stopped wanting to be with him while he was drinking (ie most of the weekend). One he realised that (a) I'm happier sober, and easier to be around - now I've been working on my recovery a while anyway, and (b) I'm not up to anything, and have no plans to leave him, he's been much more comfortable with it.

When he does get on my nerves I use the resentment prayer, and the 'Anyway' poem (I adapted it to be a prayer as it's pretty handy).

I'm learning to be firm with my boundaries, and tell him what they are (rather than expect him to just know, or guess what I want).

I'm also learning to accept that he will do what he wants as far as his drinking is concerned, and distance myself from it. I also need to distance myself from him when he starts 'quacking' lol

RESENTMENT PRAYER:

God, I have a resentment towards X that I want to be free of.
So I am asking you to give X everything I want for myself.
Help me feel compassion; understanding and love for X.
I pray that X will receive everything they need.
Thankyou for your help and strength with this resentment.

God, help me to accept that people may be unreasonable and self-centred. Let me forgive them anyway.
Help me to accept that if I’m kind, people may accuse me of ulterior motives. Let me be kind anyway.
Help me to accept that if I find happiness, people may be jealous. Let me be happy anyway.
Help me to accept that the good I do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Let me do good anyway.
Help me to accept that I may give the world my best, and it may never be good enough. Let me give my best anyway.
God, help me to remember that it is between you and me. It was never between me and them anyway.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
So true!!! I'm just not sure I even want to go for that very reason but feel I will be letting my husband & kids down.

With only 50 days of sobriety and a little over 4 months when we go on vacation (God willing), I worry about leaving my supportive environment so early in my recovery.

My sponsor, AA meetings, therapist & the security of my home are here. Since getting sober I have turned into a big chicken! It's weird! Not only do I hate going far away from home but I hate crowds! I also hate busy shopping centers & highway traffic! Haha. I'm fairly young but I'm acting like my grandma! Lol
God's and grandmas way of doin' things is a good way to stay sober.... Except we leave our teeth in!!!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 50 days sober! I hope you can find a solution to your stress.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's definitely still early days, my emotions were all over the place for the first few months, hopefully the settle down.

But in the meantime, not a bad idea talking to your husband about things!!