SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   24 Days about to be 25 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/382172-24-days-about-25-a.html)

chrcarlson 01-02-2016 06:52 PM

24 Days about to be 25

That is a new record. Everyday is a new record. I've gone longer without drinking but never when I had access to booze. It's taken some will power to turn away from the cravings and thoughts of drinking. Mostly I think I've finally accepted I'm an alcoholic. Think think that has made a difference. I know exactly what will happen if I take a drink-it's happened every time before. Going to AA during my normal drinking hour has helped. I haven't made many other improvements in my life other than not drinking. The successful people on this forum adapt other activities and change behaviors. I'm lacking there. I've been to the gym twice but can't seem to get motivated to make it a habit. I feel bad because I'm not changing much else. My sleep pattern has gotten a little better. Some mornings I wake up at a decent hour. Reading about others relapses scares me but I think also helps.

I've been taking some B vitamins but they don't seem to have much effect.

I do feel and look better. Very grateful for 24 days of sobriety.

Dee74 01-02-2016 06:59 PM

congrats on your milestone chrcarlson :)
I hope you'll start to feel more energetic and motivated soon.

D

JD 01-02-2016 07:00 PM

Congrats on 24 days!

Hevyn 01-02-2016 07:02 PM

24 days - what wonderful news! :) I was exhausted when I first quit, it's part of healing. Things will continue to get better.

courage2 01-02-2016 07:08 PM

Congratulations on racking up those days, chrcarlson! :c011:

I'm a believer in self-pampering in the first few months of sobriety. Silly movies, hanging out in your pajamas, waffles for dinner -- comfort food for the spirit. Don't get too hung up on what you haven't accomplished yet -- you'll get clearer and more motivated as you build sober time.

Do you have a sponsor in AA yet?

lisatryingagain 01-02-2016 07:08 PM

Congratulations Chrcarlson.

You are being way to hard on yourself I think. Going to the gym twice in the first 24 days is massive. And just the fact that you can see that physically you look better shows how much healing is going on in your body.

Day by day is what we need to focus on at the start, we can worry about making bigger changes a bit further down the road. Try not to compare yourself to others, I know its something I need to work on as well.

chrcarlson 01-02-2016 07:23 PM

Thanks very much. It is good to read all of your posts.

I have a sponsor. 11 years sober. Country boy, he is my age 53. Nice and very easy going. Tells me it's simple, which I like. I don't need to get too caught up which I have a tendency to do. He's not real "hands on" which I like and don't. First sponsor I've had so I don't really know what to expect or what I really need for that matter.

I try to do a lot of One day at a time thinking. I tell myself several times a day, "I'm not going to drink today." That's it, tomorrow will take care of itself.

GroundhogDay 01-02-2016 08:04 PM

You are building some real sober momentum, congrats! I recommend keeping life simple and getting plenty of rest in the early days.

least 01-02-2016 08:32 PM

Congrats on 24 days sober! :)

Sean30 01-02-2016 09:18 PM

That's awesome chrcarlson, congrats mate!

FeelingGreat 01-02-2016 09:41 PM

I didn't find sobriety brought momentous changes in my life, but it did free me from guilt and self loathing and that was worth it on its own. That and waking up clear headed.

Soberwolf 01-03-2016 02:21 AM

That's excellent congrats on day 25

PurpleKnight 01-03-2016 06:44 AM

Fantastic Chrcarlson!! Keep pushing through!! :You_Rock_

csaw1112 01-03-2016 07:01 AM

I cant wait to get that far along. Congrats!

zlhzlh 01-03-2016 08:53 AM

Well done

Fly N Buy 01-05-2016 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by chrcarlson (Post 5720627)
That is a new record. Everyday is a new record. I've gone longer without drinking but never when I had access to booze. It's taken some will power to turn away from the cravings and thoughts of drinking. Mostly I think I've finally accepted I'm an alcoholic. Think think that has made a difference. I know exactly what will happen if I take a drink-it's happened every time before. Going to AA during my normal drinking hour has helped. I haven't made many other improvements in my life other than not drinking. The successful people on this forum adapt other activities and change behaviors. I'm lacking there. I've been to the gym twice but can't seem to get motivated to make it a habit. I feel bad because I'm not changing much else. My sleep pattern has gotten a little better. Some mornings I wake up at a decent hour. Reading about others relapses scares me but I think also helps.

I've been taking some B vitamins but they don't seem to have much effect.

I do feel and look better. Very grateful for 24 days of sobriety.

Hi Chris - congratulations on day 26
Glad you're with us here - keep up the good work and keep coming back!

Alynn 01-05-2016 05:23 AM

Congrats on 25 days!!