Notices

Social media and recovery!!

Old 01-02-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am determined to stay sober now and have realised Facebook is a big trigger for me not so much as I want to drink straight away when browsing, but it leaves me feeling that everybody else is happy and is loving life and Iam the only one suffering with my addiction.

I have deactivated it now just wondering if anybody else came off social media In the early days. Peace
Old 01-02-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm staying away as well.
All my friends talk about wine and post "funny" wine qoutes ALL of the time. It's just too much right now.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

For what it's worth, I was recently in a sales training/peak performance course which focused on teaching us how to keep our minds right. One of the recommendations we were given was to stay off of Facebook, because it falsely portrays everybody having a perfect life...except you.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

However, I am finding youtube helpful because I search out videos of people who have decided to give up drinking, or gave it up long ago and are now reporting the benefits.

I don't watch any videos which frame addicts as criminals or hopeless, or any videos which glamorize drinking.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always end up doubting myself and my life after logging on too
Old 01-02-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah it's definitly a good idea to stay clear, facebook is full of Fri/Sat night posts, but it's also good to remember there are also loads of Sunday morning hangover posts also!!

Not a bad idea to deactivate in the early days!!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ya I'm on and off, but for different reasons. I'm about to deactivate for a long bit. It's just too much sometimes
Old 01-02-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah the facebook "happiness" illusion.. Seems everyone is winning but me..
Im not on facebook for that reason, it used to be a downfall for me comparing my life to others.
Posting "I am 23 days sober and struggling" on facebook would not go down well for my ego. Thank God for SR!
I prefer the real world now
Old 01-02-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A friend that I met at my Womens rehab 3 years ago started a private/"closed" FB site. So many friends in recovery have joined the site. It's a great place to talk freely and share serious or funny bits. Maybe start one yourself?? just an idea.
Bobbi
Old 01-02-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There was a study done correlating the time spent on facebook and the increased ratio of depression. The reasoning behind this is that on Facebook all you really see are the highlights of others lives, not whats behind the picture, or the feelings and struggles that person has. All you see is this highlight and it makes you compare yourself to a highlight. I've deleted mine as well.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I permanently deleted my Facebook account before I even quit drinking.

Somebody told me to remember when other people look happy when drinking and I feel bad because I can't, I am comparing their outsides to my insides. I think the same is true with Facebook. You're seeing very superficial stuff from these people and it may not be how they feel inside at all.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really want the words with friends though, without having to see the posts. Scrabble really helped me get time up when I was doing well.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess I had a different experience with it. I posted on New Years eve That I was having a sober new years, and that everyone have a safe and happy 2016! I was amazed at how many of my friends on there were also celebrating sober. Of course there were plenty of others posting drinking selfies..
Old 01-03-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes I detest Facebook thier so shady ppl think it's harmless it isnt
Old 01-03-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nice to see its not just me lol....
I bet a lot of people feel the same, Facebook has turned into one big melting pot of ego and materialism!!
Old 01-03-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The only social media I have is Instagram and obviously this website.
Life is easier without it and I worry less about what others have to say.
Hope that helps xxx
Old 01-03-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am doing and continue to do whatever it takes to stay sober and get to the point where I am recovered. FB isn't a trigger for me however yes some posts by friends make me sad or lonely as alcohol took away everyone that was close to me, I am rebuilding that one day at a time as I know how happy I was and will be again, I have tremendous hope and a plan to get there. All the best Andrew
Old 01-03-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
I am determined to stay sober now and have realised Facebook is a big trigger for me not so much as I want to drink straight away when browsing, but it leaves me feeling that everybody else is happy and is loving life and Iam the only one suffering with my addiction.
I read some news story that said people who only read become depressed but that people who post and comment actually build connection and feel better. I use FB as a tool, although I have unfriended several narcissists who only take but don't give. It decreases the loneliness as I live somewhere different than my friends.

Just a different point of view.

KP
Old 01-03-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I dipped my toe into it for a few years in the initial time where it was gaining popularity. Instagram, twitter, facebook. After a while I got a bit fed up of seeing what other people had made for tea or that the family dog was having a milestone birthday so I deactivated and feel better for it.

I try and pick up the phone or better still meet people, it helps with my anxieties and improves well being to get out and about

Stewy
Old 01-03-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
now's the time

Like Keeppushing, I have friends all over the place... if it weren't for Facebook, I'd have lost touch with many of them. Or if not lost total touch, I'd at least have far weaker of a connection. It's a really important tool in my life.

That said, this relapse and the aftermath has made it hard to look at. I finally get it now, how it can make you sad. It used to make me happy to see all my friends and their news. Now I do the self judgment thing.

So I'm with you... I stay mostly away at the moment. But I think I'll know I'm coming back to myself when it starts to makes me happy again to see others happy. Can't wait.