Notices

A Weekender Reunion! 1-1 '16 pt. 2

Old 01-02-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

This is probably very boring.
But my favourite drink of all time is- water with a slice of lemon!
I love it and drink it everyday
Old 01-02-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I bought myself a SodaStream and make my own sparkling water. Mix fruit juice into it. Or just lemon and lime wedges. I also make my own ginger syrup for a kick a** ginger ale. If you want "mineral water" there are mineral drops you can buy, too. I haven't done that, but thinking about it.
I'm interested in that recipe, Marty.

My friend has a SodaStream he rarely ever uses. It was a novelty for him. He offered to give it to us. Might take him up on the offer. I'm just afraid of high pressure stuff. I guess I think it'll explode in my face.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I'm interested in that recipe, Marty.

My friend has a SodaStream he rarely ever uses. It was a novelty for him. He offered to give it to us. Might take him up on the offer. I'm just afraid of high pressure stuff. I guess I think it'll explode in my face.
I would, that sounds amazing
Old 01-02-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Let me dig that recipe up. Stay tuned...
Old 01-02-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Bix, et al ~

I use a small Fork, and spread out a small Schmear of Vanilla Yogurt as a Sour Cream replacement on the Nori [Seaweed Wrappers]. No grand Health reason. Just because. Sour Cream is really good, too. Especially when played off of Sriracha Sauce.

We found an amazing Fish/Meat Market ~1 Hour away. Where we sourced some Mussels, and an amazo Prime Rib recently. For Shrimp Sushi Rolls - which is almost-always cooked in Sushi Joints - I just throw Commercial Frozen Shrimp in a Plastic Bowl. Microwave for ~3 Minutes. Let them 'steep'. Good ta go. Ahi Tuna, for example, I would source from that Fish Shop mentioned above; the one that supplies the Telluride Restaurants. Canned, Smoked Oysters rock. I use a lot of 'fake' Crab: nuffin' but flavored Whitefish. I use it in my Enchiladas, too.

Fresh Fish Tip from moi: Live near an Airport. That is all. Tako [Octopus] in Tokyo is likely from - wait for it - Puget Sound. Top Shelf Blue Fin Tuna in Tokyo? Likely from off of Nova Scotia. All flown in. See them frozen solid in the Pix linked below, and selling for up to ~USD $7,000/Fish. So, given the 2 or 3 Airports ~1 Hour from us, we can get 'whatever'.

My MesaVille Pix are unintentionally deceiving. 2 Towns are ~20/25 Minutes away. One Supermarket Chain Special Orders anything. We be set.

- 'Turning Japanese' ~ The Vapors -
- Tokyo Fish Market Pix -

Old 01-02-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
This is probably very boring.
But my favourite drink of all time is- water with a slice of lemon!
I love it and drink it everyday
Same here, Jen.

I sometimes make ice cubes with slices of fruit or berries inside to "fancy it up" a little bit.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Same here, Jen.

I sometimes make ice cubes with slices of fruit or berries inside to "fancy it up" a little bit.
Oh!!! Very good tip!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Mesa - Thanks for such a profound fish-sushi- guide.

But still.....Why vanilla - not plain - yogurt as replacement of sour cream. Please?)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ginger syrup recipe:
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2013/09...-syrup-recipe/

I sometimes add about one lemons' worth of rind (yellow part only).
Old 01-02-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by melki View Post

Anybody watches the show Mom? It's funny, and I love the Mom character.
Love the Mom show.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

MB ~

The highly technical answer: Because it's what we had! Hee hee...

I've used 'plain' Yogurt, too. This Joint ~1 Hour away has these creative inspirations on their Menu; just 1 Page thereof shown below. The 'K.A. Roll' is a Masterpiece! Note the Cream Cheese in it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sushi Rolls.jpg (72.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
MB ~

The highly technical answer: Because it's what we had! Hee hee...

I've used 'plain' Yogurt, too. This Joint ~1 Hour away has these creative inspirations on their Menu; just 1 Page thereof shown below. The 'K.A. Roll' is a Masterpiece! Note the Cream Cheese in it...
Impressive menu.

Thank you for technical answer - this "vanilla yogurt thing has been on my mind since you first mentioned it a couple of weeks ago))
Old 01-02-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I hate fish yuck.

When I first quit drinking I went wild on diet cokes. Now I drink mostly water throughout the day and maybe a cup or two of tea. I do like sparkling water and always have some in the fridge for when I want something different. Oh, and no caffeine after 6pm. (I know...I'm like an old lady).
Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Never heard of the Mom show, but I don't want to get hooked on something. When does it come on and can you get in on the middle of it and still know what's going on?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Seeing that makes me want to go to Tommy's. It's a Sushi place about an hour from me that I used to frequent. Tommy is Japanese and moved here to play golf. Runs a sushi place, just him and his wife. OUTSTANDING food, worth crying over.

I scored big helping my sister clean out the parent's attic yesterday. Got a large, powerful juice extractor. Just in time for my New Year diet. I need to lose weight.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Sao, I love the pic!

Hi everybody! Too much to respond to, so can I just rant? Love you all.

I have post holiday hangover and I'm also irritated bc I'm getting taken advantage of for childcare.

Bf's child's babysitter moved, and I was counting on this week after Christmas but before starting new job to study, rest up and get ready. And apartment search and hopefully move.

Now I'm getting love-bombed. It works for a little bit but then I get the anxiety that comes from knowing I am not in the right place. And then I get angry for being weak and for not moving out before things like this happened. I feel guilty and like I'm abandoning... But what about me when I was always there and never appreciated? He ruined Mothers Day, my bday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, as well as the day in day out misery of being ignored and made to feel less than.

Also, no childcare arrangements have been made. I have given up all my free time to take care of this child, even though I was highly criticized for my parenting. Now all of a sudden I am still the woman of his dreams, he's always appreciated everything I've done, and he just wants the three of us to be a family...

What in the heck?

He claims he just feels bad bc he needs to finish his education, etc.. And him not achieving anything in the last year led him to treat me improperly. This is a 42 year old man saying this. It's so ridiculous.

In the last year, I got sober and got 2 wonderful jobs. So if I can do it, why can't he? And why is this my fault? And why do I feel so guilty all the time about things I shouldn't take responsibility for?

I just want to be out now. Living on my own and facing fear of loneliness instead of this. I feel very manipulated and I am angry.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Ginger syrup recipe:
Fresh Ginger Syrup - David Lebovitz

I sometimes add about one lemons' worth of rind (yellow part only).
I love him I follow his blog posts.

Thanks, Marty!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
EndGame

So, Melina, what's in it for you to be in this relationship?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Oh, the mineral water we buy is Ferrarelle.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
So, Melina, what's in it for you to be in this relationship?
Selfishly, I thought it gave me a leg up on staying sober at first bc I wasn't alone. I had to drive far to work from there everyday (so it ate up hours), I think I have a codependent martyr thing going on and I wanted to be a Mom.

I didn't know any of this at the outset, except the wanting to be a Mom thing.

Now that I'm more clear headed, I hate drama. And this is a huge source of drama and it's turning my stomach. I don't feel I can address my codependency issues while actively entrenched in the most codependent/savior/martyr/victim/mommy relationship I have ever had.

On the flip side, there's the kid. The kid I do honestly adore and he deserves everything. He's just a pure, kind, sweet little soul and I don't want to add to his confusion. His mom is not able to be in his life, so all he knows is she just disappeared when he was 2. That's got to be rough.

So what happens if I disappear? It took along time to get him to trust me. It took a lot of patience and love.

I just feel like a jerk, but I'm also angry and I need this cycle to stop.

I want to be sober and free. I still feel stuck bc I am here in this relationship.