Notices

Day One

Old 01-01-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

Pretty cliché to start this on New Years Day! No hangover today! Hope I can come to this site for support when I get the urge to drink. I have come to the conclusion that drinking is ...isolating and a waste of time for me. I can abstain or keep it in check in social situations...I like to drink alone. Wow that sounds sad. I need to start living an authentic life. Has anyone tried meditation in their journey to sobriety?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Learningcurve
Old 01-01-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome to SR learningcurve. Lots of good support here. And meditation is something good to put into your plan.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and yes, I think many of us here use meditation as a tool and mindfulness as well. This link has lots of information that could be helpful:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-01-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm on day 1 also!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome LearningCurve
Old 01-01-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Learning Curve.

Its a good day to start. I'm with you having thrown it in after about 6 weeks before Christmas.
Re the meditation.....something I've found it hard to try, but have come to realise that you can have meditative activities in your life. Usually some task that just absorbs your attention and mind that it puts you in that state. I've always found that walking calms my mind. I think a lot of the more visual artists get into this state....its just the physical act of doing which is calming.
Something I want to explore further this year.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum LearningCurve!!

I'd fully recommend checking into SR on a daily basis, not only when you get the urge, for me it kept me focused on the task at hand each day, because when the urge comes and you're isolated, the outcome is dependent on you sticking to your resolve and logging in, whereas we have loads of daily support threads!!

Great to have you onboard!!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome, LearningCurve!

It's a great day to be sober, congrats on Day 1!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all your kind words! I m so glad I found this resource!
Old 01-01-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome and yes, three years ago I went through an in patient 28 day program called Intensive Treatment Program, most of it is from SMART. Part of the program was Yoga and Meditation every morning at 8, I can tell you it works, takes a little practice but it took all my anxiety attacks away. Used it today while on a hike with my dog, no anxiety but just wanted to as it can be done in so many ways. It was interesting afterwords some things that came to me, I almost lost my GF in November while she was out of the country, (I had a relapse as I wasn't doint what I learned in ITP) A Dr, that specializes in mental health (a blessing in my case) she didn't know I had PTSD or was recovering alcoholic, Anyhow it has taken a lot of work but as of yesterday we are back together and I am working my big plan hard.

I had to do a lot of meditation through Christmas to get through it alone, I only had my dog, I had ruined every other friendship including my two adult Children who were flying home and my job. Meditation is but one tool in the tool box I use, I use whatever I can get my hands on as I am going to beat this.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome LearningCurve, glad you're here
Old 01-01-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LearningCurve16 View Post
Pretty cliché to start this on New Years Day! No hangover today! Hope I can come to this site for support when I get the urge to drink. I have come to the conclusion that drinking is ...isolating and a waste of time for me. I can abstain or keep it in check in social situations...I like to drink alone. Wow that sounds sad. I need to start living an authentic life. Has anyone tried meditation in their journey to sobriety?
Meditation is an amazing tool to have in your toolbox, not just for sobriety, but for life in general. I think many people start drinking alone and come to enjoy drinking alone as a means of escape or to 'check-out' when life is pressing in too much on them. Granted there are some people who need to have a certain amount of time alone, but gotta figure out that you can still be alone and take a mental hiatus without putting poison in your body.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Meditation helped me in a big way achieve sobriety. I would look up self guided meditation videos on YouTube. Some for alcoholism, addiction, anxiety, depression, confidence. What ever you can think of.

I also would listen to hypnosis videos. There's a couple I would listen to several times in a weeks time frame. At least once per day.

The strength I got from them would carry over for several hours, then the whole day, then a couple days.

Very useful. I needed to change my self talk. I was very negative. I can't do this, I can't do that, I'm no good, etc. listening to those videos really helped change that.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This might sound a bit corny, but I find knitting and crocheting also works as meditation. Going to start a new scarf today with some lovely yarn I bought a few months ago. With that I'm going to have a fresh cup of coffee I made with my new French press.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have a tough time meditating, but I exercise and do yoga.

I have been sober for 16+ months, after many, many years of drinking alcoholically. You cannot imagine the difference sobriety has made. It brings you peace and acceptance along with fun and a feeling of contentment. You don't worry about driving drunk, you don't wake up with your heart pounding wondering who you may have spoken to, emailed, texted, etc. Your skin and hair improve. It is great.

I highly recommend that those of you just getting started join the Class of January 2016. I believe the class of August, 2014 is what kept me sober through some trying times.

Other things that helped me get through the beginning stages were decadent chocolate, rich ice cream, exercise classes, massages and facials. I declined many social invitations and babied myself through the first few months. I have NEVER told anyone outside of SR that I have stopped drinking.

Good luck. If I can do this, trust me, you can!
Old 01-01-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR learningcurve

D