Notices

newbie wants to know best way to quit?

Old 01-01-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newbie wants to know best way to quit?

Hi is it best to go cold turkey or cut down slowly? Sorry to sound stupid about this but I haven't tried to quit anything before, it sounds so hard to quit completely and wondered about cutting down slowly might be the answer? What does everyone think? OMG I can't believe that this is my first day of going without a drink and already I am trying to think of a good reason to have one, quit slowly, who am I kidding! How am I gonna do this, the thought of going a week or a month terrifies me. What an idiot I am
Old 01-01-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yea you dont think a week or a month, just today, the next 5 minutes... after a bunch of 5 minutes you get your weeks or months. 30 seconds. whichever. I spend a lot of time not thinking, because I just think about everything i ruined. I got 193 days or 194. Courtesy of some jail time, I seen a dope pipe on christmas could of hit it but I need to be sober.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it depends on how long and how much you've been using. People that have been drinking a lot for a long time might need medical help to guide them through detoxing. For me, I just decided to quit altogether. It seems impossible at first, but it can most definitely be done. Like suicideseason said, taking it a day at a tI've really does make it seem much more manageable. You can do it!
Old 01-01-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's a good idea to see your doctor for medical help in getting safely thru the withdrawals. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. If you manage today without a drink you won't have a hangover tomorrow and then your head will be clearer in working out what you want from life in the year ahead. Do you want to be drunk a lot of the time or not? If not, then share with us more of what's going on for you and we can share back our experiences and what we do each day to stay sober and happy.

By the way, lots of people quit drinking completely and live interesting lives.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by zigzagging View Post
the thought of going a week or a month terrifies me.
Fear of sobriety is a hallmark of addiction. I was LOADED with it. It's how the addiction controls us.

Wanna be free of that fear? Stay sober. It's the only way to break the bonds the addiction has on us. It takes a few months, but that fear goes away and you'll be free.

Wanna feel calmer today? Take out a pen and a piece of paper and write down the 5 worst things that will happen to you today as a direct result of not drinking. Seriously - do this. You're terrified of sobriety, so write down exactly what you're afraid of. Articulate the fear. The exercise will place a sharp contrast between what your addiction is making you feel and the reality of the situation.

Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life!

You can do this!
Old 01-01-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As mentioned above, some people need medical help detoxing. But if you're not in that category, I think cold turkey is the way to go. Cutting back implies we have some sort of control over our drinking and if that was the case we wouldn't need to quit.

It does seem really daunting at first, so just break it into little chunks. Take it easy on yourself.

It might help to make a list of other things you can do with your time. Keep reading and keep posting. We've all been there and there is tons of great advice and support here.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by least View Post
It's a good idea to see your doctor for medical help in getting safely thru the withdrawals. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous.
This

And joining the class of January support class will help
Old 01-01-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If our bodies are not too addicted (we can stop without getting the shakes) cold turkey seems best.

But, either way we should seek our doctors advice.

Good luck
Mountainman
Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me quitting was the way forward, tapering always lead me down a road to nowhere as I couldn't moderate, hence the having to quit, it always sounds ironic to me that the idea of quitting through tapering is doing what I couldn't do, but some can, it just wasn't for me!!

However, checking in with a Dr is a must, quitting cold can be dangerous and it's best to be safe!!