Notices

newbie wants to know about physical changes?

Old 01-01-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newbie wants to know about physical changes?

Hi all, well this is the first day of the rest of my life. Today I want to break the habit of reaching for that bottle, it's gonna be hard I know especially as I live with a husband who is and will be continuing to drink. I have recently started to see a change in my appearance, my face has red patches on it now and also in the mornings I have a swollen face, below the eyes. Is this a bad sign, will it go away on its own? I am worried in case its a sign of something more serious, does anyone know or have experienced this before.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi zig zag, dont panic, replace alcohol with water and you will soon have clear skin, i noticed a difference after 5 says, puffy eyes are just down to your body being dehydrated and holding on to any fluid possible. Again drink filtered water and you will have your old face back very soon x
Old 01-01-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi thank you, I was really worried as I heard that it is a sign of liver damage.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For medical advice you need to see a doctor. But in broad terms a lot of the physical stuff like flushed skin and puffy eyes goes away after you stop drinking for awhile. No matter what your health situation though quitting drinking is the right action.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Zigzagging!! You can do this!!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The changes I've noticed in 6 months are smoother healthy color skin, face puffiness gone, bags and dark circles gone and the clear sparkly eyes are back. Rosacea blotches gone. Weight loss. That's drastic for me because I'm 67. It's never too late. You have so much to look forward to.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree seeing a Dr will put your mind at ease & strenghten your sobriety
Old 01-01-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

If you have any doubts see your doctor. And stay away from Dr. Google. He/she will just make your worry worse.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said the only way to really get peace of mind on this is see your Doctor

I was sure my liver was about to explode or something else equally heinous was occurring but 9 years on and I'm still here

D
Old 01-01-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Zzg,

No medical advice here. If you need a dr...see one...

Either way....

A great thing about this site is you have people with 1 day, 6 days, 160 days,...6 years, ...9 years..etc...so..you get current advice for that time of healing...

So the world according to me at 8 months sober...

Alcohol is poison.

After years of drinking we are/were infused w toxins. It is in every nook and cranny of our being.

Hence my old ugly puffy face, eyes cracked with red blood shots, weakness, lack of stamina, anxiety waves...basically I was a mess...

My brain needed it to function to a developed normal operation. When I quit, each day i begin to heal a bit more. I was recovering, I was very messed up for 2 to 3 months.

I got through the physical withdrawal, then i had to get through the mental anguish. It was shear horror at times. Craving and anxiety. But, there were moments of total peace and well being each day.

It was like God was telling me...see this is what you can feel like all the time if you hang on....

As i healed my desire to drink returned. It did hard for me yesterday. It was powerful.

My anxiety peaked like I was 3 days sober. The craves were like bolts, instantly passing. It was scary.

Before..... the craves were like waves that lasted for minutes. I would have to eat and drink some juice to get them down.

Anyway...the toxins are gone..my skin is better etc etc...but the real deal is I am free...free from the addiction.

I am clean and ultra protective of my sobriety. Do that.

So, hang on it gets better each day. That was the best advice I ever got.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi zigzagging, you can do this. I also live with a husband that drinks, every evening, 7 days a week. All of our friends drink. It doesn't make for the easiest environment in which to quit, but it can be done. My last drink was 9-22-14. In an ideal world, there wouldn't be alcohol in my house and it wouldn't be in my face everyday. But it doesn't bother me at all anymore, and we'll, its not a perfect world.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hello zigzagging ,

I haven't had a drink is 24 days. The dark circles are gone, many wrinkles have gone, my skin looks much better. I didn't quit because of my appearance-I'm a guy so...

Look in a mirror after a week or two of not drinking. You'll be pleasantly surprised, I was.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My last drink was Oct. 17th. Drinking made my face and eyes puffy. Since I quit, I've lost about 10 lbs and my face is also slimmer. My stomach was also bloated when I was drinking but that's now gone as well. And I feel SO much better! You'll notice the changes gradually. Take a picture of yourself now and another one in a few weeks or a month.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Hi Zigzag - I just made a post about how my physical appearance has changed since I stopped drinking. I received an email with a picture of me attached (it was from last year). The person was just wishing happy new year and sent a picture. It was jarring to see that picture because I'd forgotten how bad I looked.

My face was bloated, puffy and I just looked awful. I was on vacation at that time, and drinking like it was my job. I remember not wanting to take many pictures with me in them because I didn't like the reflection.

Now - I look 10 years younger. The redness is gone. The bad skin is gone. I happened to post a new picture of myself today on facebook and people are asking me "what is your secret". That's how different I look now.

Alcohol robs us of so much.

CF
Old 01-02-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello Zig, Best of luck in your work in recovery. I would recommend a visit to a MD just to be safe but the body has a amazing way of changing and healing after we make positive changes so there is a lot to look forward to. The only thing I want to really say about your situation is that I have had hundreds of clients in recovery and even though I still struggle with my own I have had never known anyone to have long term recovery while living with someone who is still using. Not that I am in any way suggesting what you should do about your relationship. That is something that is a major part of you and is just as much a part as the drinking. I wish you the best and hope we can help in any way. Sending you strength and love. John.