Notices

16 months sober and 20 weeks pregnant

Old 12-31-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

16 months sober and 20 weeks pregnant

The title almost sums it up. My mother has been recently diagnosed with terminal cancer and is declining rapidly. I live with my parents, and today she seems a lot worse than before.
I just accidentaly bumped into an open wine container in the house and almost took a sip, didn't think, just acted. But in the end I didn't.
If I wasn't pregnant, today I most likely would have fell of the wagon.
I have no idea for how long I will be able to keep this up...
Old 12-31-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums. We understand those near misses, but at 16 months you are well on the way to a life of sobriety with your little one.

I'm sorry about your mother's diagnosis. Hang on, it can be made so much worse if you pick up a drink.

We are here, please keep reading and keep posting.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How have you managed for 16 months? What else do you need to continue, in these new circumstances? Can you problem-solve a little with people in your life or here on SR to beef up your sober plans? Do you use a local recovery group at all? As they say, there is no problem that alcohol can't make worse for you.

Note: I am NEW myself. But SR is full of people who have remained sober in all kinds of circumstances. Read, talk, ask, plan.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's failing health.

Good on you for staying sober for yourself and your unborn child. Do you have any kind of support system? I hope that you know you can always come to SR to find people who understand what you're going through. Be very proud of yourself for doing the right thing for your baby.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support. As a long-time lurker on the forum, I am well aware of two things - a drink will just give me one more problem, and will definately not help my mom. Being so rational and everything, AV totally caught me off-guard
Old 12-31-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Ugnius
Old 12-31-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I am sorry you are going through this. I am, too. Both of my parents have serious medical problems now, but it's not going to effect my sobriety.

Being sober means I can be fully present and in the moment and I can feel feelings, too, but I don't have to drink over it.

I wish you strength to get through life sober.
With love and hugs,
SB
Old 12-31-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Ugnius,

I'm trying really hard to do the math- but it's late and I'm tired, but I got sober very shortly before I was pregnant with my (now 6 year old) son. I got sober in December, then pregnant in March..so.. it was sort of soon, I think.

Clearly I had my reasons for getting sober prior to getting pregnant, but obviously while I was pregnant I had a very precious extra reason to get my **** together- not just "not drink" but really really work on me, to ensure that I never ever would again.

I've said it a bunch of times here, but a very awesome counselor I was working with at the time (when he saw me thinking that it was "easy"- ha!) reminded me that I needed to do enough work on my recovery to be sure that when life takes me to my knees in grief/despair/stress/anger/etc, that I'm prepared. Not for the every day, but for the worst day.

I'm so sorry that you're going through what you are- right now is the perfect time to pump up your recovery muscles to be sure that you can (and you can!) get through any storm that life throws your way, from now on- without any alcohol.

Last edited by flutter; 12-31-2015 at 03:57 PM. Reason: left out a word- tired.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your mother's diagnosis, it must be very hard. Good for you, for hanging on to your sobriety, both you and your unborn child deserve the best chance possible. Your mother will appreciate her time with you, especially if you're sober.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ugnius!!

I'm very sorry to hear of your mum's condition, it's far from easy, especially when it's a parent, but alcohol is not the answer, your unborn child deserves the best start in life they can have, and I know from when I lost my dad alcohol did not help ME to grieve, it only made things worse, even though beforehand it sounded like the best idea in the world!!

You're not alone in this, you'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 12-31-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Ughnius! I'm so sorry to hear about you mom. I will pray for her. It's good that you're sober so you can be there for her. (((Hug)))
Old 12-31-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you very much again, your support means a lot to me!
Today is a new day, new year, woke up sober and proud, went for a morning jog (pregnant and about 10 degrees F outside; hence even more proud).
Happy New year to everyone here