Notices

I'm new here and I'm scared but I want this to stop

Old 12-30-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome!
You have made the first step by admitting you have a problem and you want to change. You can do it! 2016 can be the year that you change your life.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome solow, glad you're here
Old 12-30-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks so much coldfusion for the links! And thank you all for the words of support
Old 12-30-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Hi Solow and welcome, you are among friends. I used to hide my booze too. I was a clergyman and I would come home from church and as I changed clothes I would reach into a pocket of a jacket hanging in my closet. I bet you can guess what was in there. I would chug about one- third of the bottle in one gulp. 80 proof. Whew! I just had to come down. Since, I have learned to live without this whiskey and my life is so much better and more spiritual. I wasn't a bad person or a bad preacher just a sick one, but grace bailed me out and I am forever great full. Stay close to the groups here they will be very helpful.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You are hear looking for support and admitting your addiction. I am very proud of you solow.

This is when it can all start getting better.

((((solow)))))
Old 12-30-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Solow,

I found SR a week ago and it has been an amazing place where I feel valued, understood and very welcome. There has been so much support and advice available 24/7 and am just starting my 7th sober day.

You have taken a huge step in admitting you have a problem. Pleased you are going to see your doctor as at this stage you could use all the help available. I have also returned to AA meetings which, along with this site, has offered me the hope, understanding and practical help I need.

Keep coming back!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Solow!!
Old 12-31-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to SR Solow.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome Solow
Old 12-31-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome SoLo
Old 12-31-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

welcome solow

please see your doctor. more importantly don't lie to your doctor. if you play it down you may not get the help you really need. tell the doc about the withdrawals, hiding and sneaking drinks all day, everything - for your own good.

do you feel comfortable discussing this with your brother? knowing that he is sober and attends meetings means he will not be judgmental. he'll offer help. having an ally in the family will be helpful. and he'll be grateful for the opportunity to support you. you'll also be helping him.

and lastly, do not make this a new year resolution. make this a life commitment - for yourself.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome solow. I am on day 5, and I found this place 5 days ago. I don't think that's a coincidence. Having a place to talk really does help. Good luck with your doctor, be honest, and I hope they can help!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by solow View Post
... I'm currently staying at my mum's and it's the middle of the night so I don't want to upset her by leaving for the hospital. I'd rather she didn't know I'd started again as she would be so upset. My brother is also back in town from a long stint living abroad and he has issues with alcohol too but is currently sober and sometimes attends AA meetings. I don't want to let him down either. .
Hi, Solow and Happy New Year. I hear you talking about not wanting to upset or disappoint people and I want to offer my firsthand perspective about it.

Through my decades of drinking, I did everything I could to hide it. Even when I was hospitalized for detox, I went there in a taxi and lied to my friends and family about where I was. In October, my first DWI forced me to come out of the closet. I opened up to a few very close friends. They were surprised and very sad to learn how long I'd been suffering in silence. Their love, support, and protection have been everything to me as I prepare for a proper recovery.

Don't get me wrong: many people in my life have abandoned me due to my drinking. But if you can open up to a couple people you trust, I think it will help. If someone judges and abandons you, they're not your friend in the first place. Those who truly love you will be there for you with understanding and strength. Those who love you WANT to be there for you.

Hope you post back after you see the doctor!