Notices

Transition period

Old 12-30-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Transition period

Just wanted to share that this is a difficult period for me after going to spend Christmas with my family I'm now back in the big city and feel much more tempted to drink than usual.

I went to a meeting last night and shared that and I am calling my sponsor daily. I'm also reading and doing a journal.

Another part of my recovery plan at this vulnerable time is to share here. I'll try to do so daily.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Difficult here too endless. I think NY's is approaching and things are starting to feel a little crazy. After it's over, things will be back to normal. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Just take it a bit at a time and talk back to that AV. Do what you need to to get through the cravings.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Having a routine is a great way forward, bringing some structure to the days at this time a year, when easily there can be soo much free time, things can become more relaxed over the holidays. Also the festive period I think can lull us into taking a break from the plan that we work on soo much throughout the year.

Keep it simple, one day at a time, stick to the plan, and before you know it 2016 will be well under way and my Xmas tree and lights will be back in the roof space for another year!!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is a very tough time of the year, a time when the AV seems to have more strength for some of us (me) than usual, this is the first Christmas season I have shared alone, well I have my best friend my dog who honestly helped keep me sober as when the AV voice started, I would go for a walk or keep busy, cook do whatever it took and I made it through so far and I will continue. Use every tool you can bud including this forum to keep busy and I wish you the very best. I am alone by choice, that choice in the past was to listen to the AV, my adult children, family, job gone all because I listened to my AV and it got control but I have been back in control since Dec 12th and doing really well but I am using every resource I can to stay sober and become recovered.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good thinking & congrats EP
Old 12-30-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep at it! That is good thinking. I've been coming here more and going to meetings too. It's been helpful.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How great to have everyone's support. I have found that re-reading the little AA book Living Sober to be helpful. I last read it in late 2014 and then I did really well actually living sober in the first half of this year. So I think it makes sense to go through it a section at a time for the next few weeks.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Well done on posting! Certainly these feelings many of us have at times. When we turn on the lights, the monster doesn't look as scary..........

I too find reading the literature extremely helpful in trying times. Living Sober is terrific book for sure. As Bill Sees it is another terrific read I find very helpful.

Thanks for the thread - lot's of help for others
Old 12-30-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well. I think having a plan, a routine will help you enormously to get through these days.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting last night too as I just felt the need to eyeball people who are like me. This time of year makes me super squirrely; thank you for sharing your thoughts as it is helpful to many of us and that is what makes SR so awesome
Old 12-30-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

It's hard for me, too, this time of year. I'm doing a medically-supervised taper to prepare for complete detox starting on January 11.

Tough times to go through during the holidays. AND...my bday is the day after Xmas! Ack!

Hang in, reach out. Please give this advice back to me when my time comes.

Tell me how I can best support you and I will!