Notices

A Musical Holiday Weekender Thread Dec 25th Pt. 3

Old 12-29-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Thanks for the support, gang. I appreciate you all helping me feel less alone as I pack for what will be an emotional journey. Thanks for the candle, Tetra! I'm not sure if you can light a fire with all that water, but I certainly appreciate it.
Sending you support, bigs.

And it is very cold here, pack warm.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Some Posts here reminded me of us putting all 4 Parents to rest over the last 10 Years. MesaMate calls that bit of Adulthood 'Joining The Club'. Either you've gone through that Process, or you haven't. There's nothing like it, and you can't imagine it in advance. The World thereafter is forever changed.

And then, there was this... We picked up her Mom's Ashes from the local Crematorium. I found a really tasteful Jade sort of Container for her Ashes. One actually not priced to gouge the Grieving.

In a Scenario that is hard to convey accurately, the 'odd' Couple that ran the Mortuary had recorded a CD of their Music. Pretty much like the Singing Teachers Skit on SNL. Or, a really tacky Lounge Act you'd see at a Holiday Inn.

Along with my MIL's still-warm Ashes, they gave us a Copy of their Music CD!!! Complete with the Wife's Pic on the CD looking all the World like some Karen Carpenter-type all gussied up for Prom Night. I'm used to Actresses or Photographers filling in as Wait Staff. I did it. But, wannabe Musicians as Funeral Home Directors? Now, it takes something extraordinary to set me back, and this well-intentioned move on their part certainly did.

It's A Big Ole World Out There...
Old 12-29-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

MM, that's just...weird.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
MM, that's just...weird.
Agreed!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

just stopping by before I turn out the lights...
Mesa, I had to laugh at that one. Did they at least sign it for youse?

Okay, I had to back out for a sec...

I don't know the details. My thoughts are with you and your family BigS. Safe traveling.

got it from part2. Best wishes BigS.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Big S, sending my kindest wishes to your family during this difficult time.

It seems like today has been hard for several here, and I hope that tomorrow is a bit sunnier.

All my best.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I just ordered some jane fonda excercise dvds on amazon. A friend told me they are fun and not too difficult. I wouldn't mind having Jane's body when I'm her age-70's. I need to do more than my morning walks and I just don't like gyms. Id rather stay home...so I'll give the dvds a try.
Mld...you sound like a strong, independent woman to me. You can take care of yourself!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

BigS, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's great that you're able to go be with your mom.

MM, that is a unique customer service approach. But did you listen to the music?

Bedtime. I'm really tired today.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone

Daughters friends stayed a while, they were pretty quiet but my flat is small...

Re MMs musical funeral workers I remember Rod Stewart started out his working life as a gravedigger

I hope my fellow residents of the British Isles have remained flood free
Old 12-30-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Morning!!!

Love the funeral home story MM. I used to work in one as well as spent a few years growing up living above one since we were poor and my mother worked there to support us.

Anyway... I was working a service one bitterly cold night. The Priest comes in and shakes off the cold. He arrived right when the service was supposed to start. He looked at his holy water scepter thingy and said "damn, my holy water froze!" The quick thinking funeral director took it and said "Here... let me go run that under holy hot water." which he promptly did and the evening carried on. We were all cracked up the rest of the night. Trying not to laugh at a funeral. FUN!

Another time I was going to shut the light off above an older womans casket. The families go all out with flowers and what not sometimes. This woman had what looked like a very nice bunch of wheat sitting above her chest on the back of the casket. Well... I bumped this thing turning the light out and all these droppings from the dried out wheat fell all over her. I was like "good grief!". I had to pick each off this womans chest. I looked at her and apologized as I cleaned things up. I often spoke to the dead people as I have such respect for those here and gone.

Needless to say I have a few more wonderful tails and I think back and smile. Life with the dead is more fun sometimes than with the living.

Ken
Old 12-30-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Morning!
I've been sleeping well lately but today I got up at 3:30 am.
Oh well, long day.....
HAF: I don't like gyms either- I just do yoga, swim and go for walks

Not sure what to do for New Years :/
I wanted to stay in and read but it doesn't look like that's happening.
I have plans with 3 people, I'll probably be the only one not drinking.
But they're all pretty chilled out- they can drink just a few; whereas I'd just drink till blackout probably- and ruin everyones night
Old 12-30-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Weekenders
Old 12-30-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I have plans with 3 people,
HAHA I don't even have three names in my phone that would call to go "out".
Old 12-30-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

G'morning, all.

I hope someone's facing a better day than I am, lol. I'm having to force myself to go back to work today and probably face that wacko. I am certain she probably feels the same about me. My plan is to steer clear. I think she's the type to ignore, and smooth over. That's how abusive people usually behave, at least, it's familiar stuff to me coming from a crazy family who lived in denial. I know a tiny bit about this woman's background -- she was an abused wife for twenty years. She also doesn't seem to have the greatest of boundaries. So, I'll keep this in mind. I just don't want to talk to her, plain and simple. I've heard and seen enough. I am going to have to figure out how I can avoid her without offending, but also, without inviting more of her style of "chit chat" that she displayed yesterday.

Ugh, I hate interpersonal strife, I just really loathe it. Being an INTJ, this is not my skill set (Ha! Ken, there -- I need to work on this particular skill set, or give it up entirely and accept it's just not something that's ever going to come easy for me!).
Old 12-30-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
HAHA I don't even have three names in my phone that would call to go "out".
They all don't know each other either which should be interesting....
I suggested ordering Indian food and playing poker.
This is opportunistic because they'll be drinking and I'll be sober= maybe I have a better chance of winning
Old 12-30-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good luck soberp :/
I'm a people pleaser to a certain extent so I struggle with that kind of situation as well.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Evidently, I'm people-allergic then, Jen.

I think Sao hit on the wisdom that I've yet to internalize -- sometimes people are just azzholes. What's been hard for me my entire life is to accept that people don't always make sense. That's probably what's hurt me most in my life. I've always tried to make sense of what's going on around me, especially human behavior (probably why I majored in psych), and so when things don't add up, and inevitably at some point blow up in my face (which always seems to blindside me), I recoil in horror and/or seethe in rage at the perceived "injustice."

I am sure fellow INTJs will relate to this.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Evidently, I'm people-allergic then, Jen.
I'm sure she's just as worried about it.
If she tries to smooth waters; maybe just let her....
I've had situations with people in which I just couldn't stand them, but ended up really liking them after the conflict was resolved.
She might just have really bad social skills.
I'm willing to bet this isn't the first awkward social situation that she created.
Xo
Old 12-30-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

There is a 'Shot' for when one is People-Allergic.

Unfortunately for us, it comes in a 750 mL Bottle instead of in a Syringe.

I used to do a little faked 'jump', and act as though my Belt-mounted Cellphone was in Vibrate Mode. I'd excuse myself, and then walk away faking my end of a non-existent Call. This is also a good way to get out of Meetings for a bit.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Brilliant, thanks, Mesa. I will try and keep that "jump" act in mind today...

Yeah, the bottle has certainly beckoned me (weakly, though) over the past grueling 24 hours of digesting what happened.