Notices

Hi Everyone - I'm New

Old 12-28-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hi Everyone - I'm New

Hey everyone. I'm new here. I am an alcoholic.

I'm 30, married, 2 little boys, successful insurance agent, own my home, etc. On the surface things are dandy. I used to binge drink every night. At least 10-15 shots per night of whiskey. Every night. For the past 10 years. The only sober time I had in those 10 years (more than a day or two) was when I was pregnant both times. That's one heck of a problem.

I'm on day 2. Feeling fine. I have always used drinking to deal with my depression and anxiety, which is funny because the rebound depression and anxiety after a bad night of drinking was unimaginable. I have more of a psychological dependence, less of a physical dependence. No shakes, dizziness, nausea, or pains. Just the nagging voice telling me I "need" to drink or else I'll.... do what? Nothing, exactly.

I'm on Lexapro now, and Xanax as needed for panic attacks. I have never abused my xanax, and don't imagine I ever will. That I think is pivotal in me deciding to stop drinking. Now the only depression and severe anxiety I feel are after heavy drinking. That's a sign in and of itself.

So, for now, it's nice to meet everyone, and my motto is "When it doubt, pour it out, walk away, and try to make it another day."

Old 12-28-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be careful mixing Xanax and alcohol - especially after you've gotten a little sober time. It can be deadly. That's why it says, "Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication." I also mixed the two. I was lucky.

Welcome to the forum. My anxiety and depression (it turns out) was being caused by the alcohol and the faulty thinking that goes along with drinking too much. I hope you will continue to remain abstinent, and understand that your anxiety is going to increase quite a lot for a while after you quit. Give it three months minimum for your emotions to stabilize.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you haven't gone without alcohol for more than 24 hours for years,
be very careful about delayed physical reactions.

Day 2 may still be early for withdrawal symptoms--
If you feel ill be sure to get help immediately--don't just
try to tough it out.

Glad you joined us and wishing you a sober 2016
Old 12-28-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on Day 2. Stay close to SR and you'll find lots of support.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome WhenInDoubt
Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome to SR, ive been binge drinking once or twice a week for the last 10 years only having some time off when i too was pregnant. (Also 2 boys, 2 & 3). I hid my addiction from everyone & my partner just thought i was rediculously alcohol sensitive as i was drinking twice as much secretly.
I came here a few yrs ago & posted once, but I've now been sober since Oct 18th. I come on here everyday & its been paramount to my recovery. Great support & knowledge from all different types. Welcome & good luck!!!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

I'm new to Sober Recovery too. 3 years sober but new to website. But from one in recovery to another, welcome.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum WhenInDoubt!!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome - happy to meet you, WhenInDoubt. Would give anything to go back to being 30 and quit. I waited far too long. You'll find plenty of encouraging advice and friendship here.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Hi WiD...I'm RahRah and I'm an alcoholic as well...a highly functioning addict....same deal...own my business and beautiful home and cars..all the toys..etc., mother of 2 perfect young children...but what describes me best is FULL BLOWN ADDICT. I drink/drank to help me get through all the pressure I put on myself...to deal with depression and anxiety...to avoid feeling....to get me through...and yes...the next day is worse with regret and shame so I drink/drank again so that I can do it all over again...and around and around it goes. It sucks...I'm blessed but can't see that because I live inside a bottle...I can't enjoy my life because my addiction comes first.
I know the torture of the downward spiral...but I'm trying to change that by not drinking...and I'm finally willing to do whatever it takes....ANYTHING. You've found a good place here...I get tons of support from the people here...give it a try...at least for today!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have found a wonderful place of support in SR!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you all for the very warm welcome!

I made it through day 2, no issues. Only a minor craving at my normal drinking time, but I played xbox with my son and it passed. On to day 3!

Day 3 is my worst. I feel good, I feel "better", and so of course it's very easy to forget why I DON'T and WON'T drink again. I can do this, I will do this, and if I start to fumble, I will be back here posting and reading until I realize why I am doing this.

I was reading a few threads and I think I would like a journal, daily (or hourly, whichever the case may be) check-in for myself. I guess I may as well do it here!