Notices

Woke up sober

Old 12-28-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Woke up sober

Hi All,

I woke up this morning sober, after an intense anxiety dream in which I was standing outside on the top of a skyscraper during the middle of a violent storm that was causing the building to sway. It was scary - but as things were looking dire someone pulled me back inside and at the end of the dream it was morning and everything was cleared up and I was on the ground level, safe.

Writing about it now makes me think about the notion of coming in from the storm. The Tower tarot card is also symbolic of revelation, upheaval, and change. Whatever it "means", the dream certainly seems linked to drinking and not drinking, and some of what is going on for me right now.

The extent to which alcohol has inundated every facet of my experience with the world has made me think that getting sober will absolutely feel like upheaval. The thought of not drinking, in some ways, feels like cutting off my legs. I know that sounds dramatic, but I think you know what I mean.

And yet, the idea of continuing to burn in alcoholic hell is unbearable.

This is why recovery stories are so important to me. And interacting with people in recovery is so important to me. It's all affirmation that things get better and that the fight is worth it.

Thanks for reading - and QUICK QUESTION: is there a more appropriate place to check in daily? I'm feeling the need to post regularly but also don't want to hog space. Just wanted to ask.

Thanks! -A
Old 12-28-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Have a wonderful day!!!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can check in daily on this thread if you like. Kind of a sober journal, if you will.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!
Old 12-28-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Woke Up Sober"....

Man... those three words are so powerful, so freeing, so joyful....

Just imagine the power of those three words, ringing in the start of every day, the life of a sober warrior.... the life of a present, loving, joyful, free, abundant human journey!!!

I've felt it every day for two years now and I can tell you this; it gets better and better and better and better.....
Old 12-28-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feel free to keep posting here and you can also check into the 24 hour recovery threads that can be found here: Newcomer's Daily Support Threads - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 12-28-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Powerful dream. And congrats for waking up sober. Doesn't it feel good?

I was scared -- terrified -- of being sober, too. I didn't believe anyone who said it was better than drinking. Even though I felt like crap drinking. I'll tell you what, it's so nice to not have to think about alcohol. To wonder if I have enough, ponder which store to go to next so no one will recognize me, try to hide it from my kids, etc. It's freeing. My "legs" were cut off when I was drinking. Alcohol isn't your friend, though it pretends to be. It's part of you only if you want it to be. I've decided it can ring my doorbell all it wants, but I'm not inviting inside. There are some wonderful folks on this board, you'll get plenty of support if you need it. You can do this!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

When I hear the words woke up sober I always think of least now & her phrase 'I've never regretted waking up sober' starting to love that phrase

Good job bud