Notices

Binge drinking following Gastric Bypass Surgery

Old 12-27-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Soberween, it does seem to be an unfortunate situation for some folks after bypass. I am finishing my first day without a drink due to everyone's encouragement. On to day two!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yep. I went into OA with an eating disorder and ended up wth problems with alcohol and pills and other stuff. It's the thinking that's damaged, always needing to be numbed. Until the thinking problem is solved, I feel for me, anyway, that I'm pretty much screwed.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr, wonder! You can do this. Honest, open, willing... That's one thing that helped me quit drinking. Honest about my problem and my feelings, open to try just about anything to stay sober even if it meant going outside my comfort zone. And willing to do whatever work it may take.

You don't need to go back to who you were. A new, sober man who doesn't have to drink OR overeat to deal with life is inside you. You can uncover him.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Wonder,

I had a gastric bypass 18 months ago and I've lost 133lb, yay! I have my life back!

But, my drinking has changed, I now blackout nearly every time I drink unless I'm really careful, our bodies process the alcohol totally different from before.

I've had a problem with drinking to excess since I was 14 but never with this much blackout. I've tried abstinence and I did 7 weeks but it was like walking a tightrope in my mind. I'm now drinking again and just biding time until I'm talking to my doctor about trying a new medication in the new year. The good news is I'm determined to beat this, I keep researching and keep talking to people. Are u in the uk? Have you tried addaction? They have been great for me.

Good luck, keep posting, it's great to have somewhere we can be totally honest with ourselves and others xxx
Old 12-28-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome, Wonder!

I also had gastric bypass (RNY). Prior to surgery I had problems with alcohol but could stop easily. After gastric bypass, I had a horrible time.

It used to be thought that it was due to transfer of addiction. More recent studies are showing other causes. It's apparently only with the RNY bypass that increased alcohol addiction occurs. Rates are not increased for gastric band and gastric sleeve. It is believed to be due to changes in absorption in the shortened small intestine.

IMHO, it helps to understand this when planning how to deal with it. When I tried to stop drinking, I kept on relapsing over and over again. I was desperate. I finally fully accepted that I needed to take much more action. So, in addition to SR I did an IOP - intensive outpatient program plus AA and psychotherapy. I managed to stay sober for 7-8 months and briefly slipped. I immediately went to see my pdoc who put me on meds for cravings. That has worked and I have been sober for 16 months and have no more cravings. I know I will need to continue to be vigilant for the rest of my life. I simply cannot have a single drink. I am staying close to SR because this keeps my sobriety front and center every single day.

It also helped me to learn to not keep blaming myself and thinking of it as shameful and a moral failing.

Good luck! You can do this even if it takes more effort.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was an overeater from age 6, had GBP at 35. Had a wonderful life for a year or two, then the drinking started…

As I joined AA, I figured I was drinking to get over a bad relationship. Turns out I had to go waaaay back and start working on what caused me to overeat in the first place.

I’ve come to realize that I’m simply an addict - nothing to blame for or explain my behaviour.

I think my greatest epiphany was when I started working step one, when I had to explain how my life was unmanageable. I was on my high horse, thinking I just had a budding problem with alcohol, no real harm done. Turned out I had a problem dealing with life in general, my addiction just turned from food to beer. I had to dig deep.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome. I think many of us here spent many years trading one addictive behaviour and obsession for another. Food; drink; gambling; spending; sex; relationships; etc. etc. etc. Mostly they end up making our lives unmanageable one way or another. Finally we start to see the 'Ism' in ourselves, and can learnt to find other ways of dealing with life on life's terms (learn acceptance) rather than seek comfort in unhealthy and destructive ways.

It can feel like the end, but you know, this CAN be the beginning. I've been sober for 21 (almost 22) months and have been working the 12-step program of recovery through AA, and am learning better ways of thinking about and dealing with things, and can honestly say that I have never been happier in myself than I am today.

So glad you found this forum - it has been a fantastic source of information and support for me and many, many others. Wishing you well on your journey of recovery, towards peace, joy and serenity.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Wonder,

Well done for taking that major step of accepting you have a problem that needs dealing with. Really wanting to change is crucial. And a huge welcome to SR. You won't find a more supportive group of people anywhere. I owe my 7 months of sobriety to finding this place.

Do read around all the different forums here, which cover pretty much every method of recovery out there. AA is the most famous one, but there's AVRT, SMART, you name it, someone has used it to help them get sober. See which one feels like a good fit for you.

The thing is, determination and will power are great, but having a concrete plan for how to cope with all the temptations and different situations you'll encounter makes a huge difference. Try not to leave anything to chance.

Good luck on your sober journey, and please do keep posting and asking questions on here.