Notices

Day 6 struggling

Old 12-27-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 struggling

Hi all

Day 6 for me and struggling. From my first post yesterday I explained how my fiancé of 8 years had enough and said we needed to split up. In the 7 weeks since I've moved out I've had minimal contact with her, she never initiates and not seen or spoken to her. She has told me she believes separating is for the best and right now cant see a future with us and we both need to move on.

I went to WhatsApp her early hours of this morning in a moment of weakness but could see she was online messaging till 1.30am, something she never does and the only time she ever messages that late was when we first got together, so my mind is now telling me its another guy she's in contact with.

I dont want to drink today, but it would feel so much easier to have a drink and blot it out.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hey lockyboy. Congrats on day 6! To me it sounds like your relationship may or may not work out. Only time will tell. But you can force it to the not work out side by drinking. That doesn't sound like what you want it to do. In other words, if you stop drinking there are no guarantees which way it goes but if you continue to drink there is a guarantee.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Hey lockyboy. Congrats on day 6! To me it sounds like your relationship may or may not work out. Only time will tell. But you can force it to the not work out side by drinking. That doesn't sound like what you want it to do. In other words, if you stop drinking there are no guarantees which way it goes but if you continue to drink there is a guarantee.

Thanks jd1639, I know if I don't drink there might be some hope, no matter how small, but better than no hope

Cheers
Old 12-27-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Lockyboy.

I agree with JD - sounds like recovery is a must for your relationships to get another chance.

The first week is tough, focus on surviving. Stay away from WhatsApp, Facebook, etc. You can't change the situation by guessing why she is online. But any emotional challenge can shift this fragile sobriety balance into the negative side.

But on blinds on distractions. You can't save your relationships without saving yourself first.

Keep posting.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, Lockyboy.

I agree with JD - sounds like recovery is a must for your relationships to get another chance.

The first week is tough, focus on surviving. Stay away from WhatsApp, Facebook, etc. You can't change the situation by guessing why she is online. But any emotional challenge can shift this fragile sobriety balance into the negative side.

But on blinds on distractions. You can't save your relationships without saving yourself first.

Keep posting.

Thanks MidnightBlue

I've already unfriended her about a week ago on FB, found I was obsessing about her profile and checking it about 20 times a day, insane behaviour for a 46 year old! But felt I had to do it to keep sane.

How huge bouts about regretting doing that as I desperately want to see what's she's up to and winder if she thinks I don't care /am moving on

Didn't realise until last night I could see if she was actively messaging on whatsapp
Old 12-27-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd suggest concentrating your efforts on staying sober. Leave the relationship alone and focus on your recovery.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the encouragement, I definitely won't be drinking today
Old 12-27-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Lockyboy View Post
insane behaviour for a 46 year old! But felt I had to do it to keep sane.
Not necessarily insane, rather just human. But good decision on unfriending!

Maybe, try to plan your day ahead with activities which needed to be done - to keep your thoughts away from this?
Old 12-27-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I have my 11 year old daughter staying with me over the holidays, and my 17 year old son lives with me full time, so have some company.

Also, when I moved out I purposely chose a small village with ni shops in which is close enough to my sons school so he can catch a 10 minute bus ride to.

If I feel like a drink, I have to wait for a bus there and back, and as I lost my license through drink driving I thought Thi would remove or at least make it a major inconvenience to get some drink if I wanted it.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with Least LockyBoy its day 6 emotions and things are raw give yourself time & focus

If you feel like drinking at any point please come here like you are now and reach out

Good on you for posting
Old 12-27-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Lockyboy!! Onwards to Day 7!!