Notices

Newly sober, physical pain and mood swings

Old 12-25-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly sober, physical pain and mood swings

Good morning and happy holidays everyone! I hope this finds you all strong and well. I recently became sober after drinking regularly for nearly 27 years. I am now 108 days sober after having been through a harrowing detox and 30 days in a very intensive rehab environment.

I currently have a very strong, informative and supportive sponsor, a supportive husband, family and am expanding my network of those I can discuss this issue with, attending meetings and reading as much literature about this process as I've been able to find. I am also slowly working on the steps after a great deal of initial confusion about what the term "working the steps" actually means (This is still somewhat elusive to me but I am working diligently on trying to understand it).

I have two issues that came up about three weeks after leaving rehab that are more physical-centric. I am now and have since that point in my recovery in constant physical pain, namely the joints in my fingers, my neck radiating out to both shoulders and my lower back. I am often in so much pain that I find it overwhelmingly difficult to get up from a prone position or rising from a chair. Despite my alcohol intake, I have always been moderately active and was an athlete all through high school and college. I have visited both my primary care doctor (who ran bloodwork and other tests) and an acupuncturist (this relieved some of the pain for a short period) to no real effect.

Secondly, I am going through fantastically intense and terrible, awful mood swings. After getting sober and going through rehab I felt high on life and utterly confident in moving forward with my new life. About a month ago, I lost it in a crying fit over a spilled cup of coffee and every day since then has been a rollercoaster. I decided not to return home for Christmas this year mainly to work on myself, but also to protect my family from my rages and bawling spells.

Is this common? And does anyone have any advice or experience with these scenarios? I am desperate for relief with both of these issues and any information would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance,

Mel B.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, meubi. I'm so sorry you're going through so much misery right now. Often folks talk about PAWS which is a term for symptoms that occur after a longish period of sobriety. But, one must never assume - good to hear you're getting medical help.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The emotional roller coaster was my experience as well as most peoples'. It wasn't too bad after about three months, but there were definitely some emotional things I needed to work on internally as well as physical healing of my nervous system in general. Have you read, "Under the Influence"?

The neck and arm pain...I had more pains when sober; I had stopped medicating with alcohol. I took more Ibuprofen in the first three months than I had taken in years combined previously. The pains also died down for me.

One thing I find just in general about neck, back, and arm pain is that I have to sleep on a hard bed with a very flat pillow. Try that for a couple days. If your bed is soft, try the floor for a couple days.

Hang on, all this gets better. Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mel B!!

For me it took a while for my moods to adjust, years of drinking might need more than a few months to heal and repair from, but they did level out eventually.

I did also feel the odd aches and pains that I obviously had been numbing away with alcohol for a long time, it's great though that you got checked out by a Dr Just to rule out anything serious.

You'll find loads of support here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 12-25-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on 108 days sober.

The mood swings are common in early recovery. With more sober time your moods should even out.

The physical pain I don't know about. If your doctor can't do anything, can you get a second opinion?
Old 12-25-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome meuba
Old 12-25-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Meuba!
I detoxed alone after around 30 years of binge drinking at weekends.

My withdrawal symptoms involved huge mood swings and periods of extreme anxiety and hypervigilance. They also included physical symptoms, some of which were quite bizarre.

For example, my lip began to twitch, my salivary glands felt like they were swollen and burning ( as did my chin!!). I also experienced tingling in my arm and fingers.

After reading some of the stories/ experiences here, I felt slightly more reassured!

At almost 10 weeks sober, these " symptoms " have eased, although, we are all different and it may help if you discuss your concerns with your doctor?

Sometimes it just helps to know you'll come out " the other side" though, doesn't it?!

Take care
TC x
Old 12-25-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My personal opinion and experience is that MOST addicts are self medicating .. Or they are somehow needing something to perk them up or give them a boost .. By the time this self medicating morphs into full blown addiction, living life without their drug of choice sure does not go unnoticed by their brain, body, emotional barrometer .. The mind/body is going to go through its protests .. Some of that protesting we do comes in the form of emotional outbursts, mood swings, feeling on edge, feeling raw.

Now granted- the above listed ALSO occurs with drug abuse ..

Either way- you are going to experience a certain amount of moodiness-- but the moodiness of withdrawal is temporary- while the moodiness of drug abuse just gets progressively worse..
Old 12-25-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 108 days!

I too am still having joint pains when not moving for periods of times. Also found out I have gout out breaks now, something I never had when using. Emotionally I still feel on edge at times and simple little next to nothing things set it off. I exercise as much as I can 3 times a week to help with the joint pain, and it seems to help to stay active. I'm about as far along into sobriety as you, I think it's par for the course, and will get better in time.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Meuba

I hope you'll keep looking for a Dr who'll help you with the pain. None of us here are qualified to tell you what it might be or what you should do.

I had a little joint pain but nothing excruciating, so I hope you can get to the bottom of it soon

Mood swings tho, are very very common.

I dunno about you but I dammed my feelings up with drink...when you stop drinking you release the dam...it'll take a little while for the 'waters' to level out,. but they will

D
Old 12-26-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

We Mels have to stick together! Good work on the 108 days.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I was sore all the time too. Back, legs etc. I started doing grappling to help. Wrestling, bjj.

Now I am sore, but for a reason. It helps me stretch, gives me a reason to live strong...for myself.

It has been huge in my quitting booze. It is all for me. Just like booze, only healthy.

Any exercise is good, just have to vary it up to keep it fresh as possible.

I'd rather live sore, than die weak.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I don't have much advice for the physical pain, but I can totally relate to the crazy mood swings.

Crying (and I'm not a crier), despondency, anxiety, resentment and paranoia. Normally I'm an even-keel kind of person, and all those emotions really threw me for a loop in early sobriety. I honestly thought that I was just a broken person, but then learned that this is all part of recovery. I had to learn to recognize it for what it was, and try to think through it before acting out on them and hurting others.

For the sake of keeping my relationships intact, I had to remember that this wasn't really 'me'.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Mel- Welcome to SR! Congratulations on your 108 days!

I have about 7 1/2 months sober, so those first few months are still pretty fresh. Absolutely I was having mood swings, and the littlest things set me off and seemed insurmountable.

I was also achy and sore for a while, and had pins and needles feeling in my feet and hands. This too has been better over time. I'm glad you are checking in with your doctor as we cannot give medical advice- but I just want to share my experience.

A wise member here shared something with me once when I was particularly struggling. It was to 'get out of my own head'. This helps me so much. So, whether it's gathering up old towels and taking them to the animal shelter, or canned goods to the local food pantry, calling on an elderly neighbor or relative, or something as simple as letting someone take my turn in line at the grocery....I have found this concept to be incredibly helpful.

There is something very healing in giving of ourselves when in our own struggle. Just thought I'd pass it on!