Notices

I need help

Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi Toby;
You've made the first three days and things will start to get better each day
as you get through physical withdrawal. . . however, your inner Addicted Voice
(AV) may start pushing you to drink so be sure to firmly reject it.

The urge surfing links Soberwolf sent you will help, as will logging in here
asking for support as soon as a craving hits.
I quit drinking at age 47 after 30 plus years.
It can be done, and really, sobriety is so much better than I ever thought it could be.

Take care of yourself, eat well, take walks in Nature, and know things will drastically improve
with alcohol out of your life for good.
You can do it
Old 12-28-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Went to 2 AA meetings yesterday and I am still sober. Feeling very anxious this morning as I am going to try and see my GP and ask for any help they can offer.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It's natural that you will feel anxious at the moment - your main crutch has gone and you need to find your balance and discover different ways of coping with emotions and with other people and with life generally.

Have you got some phone numbers from those meetings you went to? If so, use them when you're feeling wobbly. I always presumed that the numbers were to phone if I had specific questions, or if I thought I was going to drink. They're actually for getting you through those anxious times - a chat with someone who's been through the same thing can really help.

Have you read about urge surfing or meditation at all? That can be very helpful.
I also used (still use actually) a lot of the AA speaker tapes between meetings to keep on an even keel. There are lots on this site (some of them can be quite funny - I really enjoyed Mickey B when I was on steps 1-3. )

5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toby2159 View Post

I attended a few AA meetings but struggled with the whole higher power thing.
Wouldn't let that stop me from attending AA.
I have been to many meetings over many years and believe me
you don't have to believe in a higher power to hang around there.
Some there will even call the AA Group their higher power.
Really ?
See, most anything goes it seems.

AA has helped many to get and stay sober.

M-Bob
Old 12-29-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Toby
Old 12-29-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I was told by a man 11 years sober and another 36 years sober, they felt the same as you and I about a Higher Power. They said just go along with it even if it feels like faking it. My sponsor (11 years sober) said he did it just to prove it wouldn't work. Many alcoholics are very low spiritually. They told me it would eventually come to me if I kept doing it and tried to keep an open mind. I've been praying at night and doing what they have asked. I figure What the heck, I've go nothing to lose.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support everyone.

I have been given quite a few numbers Beccybean. I guess I just need to get over the whole 'I don't want to disturb' mind set. That's why I value this forum.

I am not going to let the higher power element of AA put me off this time. As you say chrcarlson - what do I have to lose? Went to another 2 meetings yesterday. One was very emotional and the other uplifting. Guess my feelings are on a rollercoaster at the moment but both meetings helped me stay sober.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good for you Toby.

I still "don't want to bother people" I'm slow to ask for help. I'm getting over it, even if I disturb someone if it keeps me from drink I'll do it.

I got a few phone numbers at AA. I called several even though I was not craving a drink badly. I did it to be comfortable when I Really do need to call someone. They were all friendly and I think enjoyed a little chat. I recommend calling a few folks before you really need to. It will make it a hell of a lot easier when you do.