Notices

Trying to get sober. Anxious and scared.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to get sober. Anxious and scared.

Hey guys I'm brand new here and I've made the decision after many years of alcohol abuse to try to get sober. I'm 27 years old now but have been a drinker since I was 16 (at least when I could get my hands on it) but it really took off when I turned 21. And I'd binge in the evenings and be blackout drunk at least 5 nights out of the week. I spent an entire year sober during a deployment in 2012-2013. But picked up right where I left off when I got home. Lately I've been trying to taper off and have almost constant pain on the lower right side of my abdomen and almost constant nausea for more than a week (which scares me to death because I think I may have permanently messed myself up) every time I try to sleep sober or with a light buzz I have horrible nightmares, tremors and sweats. Does anyone think I'll have seizures or anything if I quit cold turkey? Anyone have pain like I've described and their liver was O.K after stopping? Just looking for some friends and advice to help me through a difficult time. Any responses are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery. No one can tell you how your withdrawals will be. If you are concerned you should talk to a doctor, tell him/her about your drinking and desire to quit. It's wise to withdraw with supervision. But if you can't (or won't) see your doctor, at least be willing to go to the hospital's emergency room if you suffer any serious withdrawal symptoms.

You are making a wise decision to quit now. It only gets more difficult as your drinking progresses.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It's highly recommended that you get your doctor's help in getting thru detox. Alcohol withdrawal can bring serious problems and it's best to have medical help if at all possible.

If you absolutely can't see your doctor, then at least go to the ER if you feel really bad. Better safe than sorry.

Once you get thru detox, you'll need a plan for recovery. We can help with that as there are many resources available for people wanting to get sober for good.

And the support here is awesome.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hopefully someone with detoxing experience can chime in for you. Definitely talk to your doctor if you haven't already done so.

From what I've read here on SR, detoxing off of alcohol by yourself can be very dangerous for medical reasons.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Gixxerman. I hope you'll stay with us - this is a wonderful place for encouragement.

I had the pain you describe & it went away. I drank for almost 30 yrs. I'm so glad you aren't going to put yourself through the nightmare I had. You can get free and have a wonderful life. As the others said, a doctor's advice is the safest thing. We are with you.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. The liver is an amazing organ and will repair itself after you get sober. Be careful in the meantime. Keep reading and posting, this is a great place for information and support.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome aboard. Definitely see your doc and have some blood work done to check out your liver. I had high enzyme levels and it took about two months sober for them to get back to normal. But the good news is they did.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I did not do an at home medical detox, but wish I had! Withdrawal was heinous, but everyone is different, and you only have to do it once! Talking honestly with your doc is a good idea. You have made a great decision to stop now at a young age. Best to you.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who've already replied, I really didn't expect so many responses so fast I feel like I'm doing O.K at the moment, I only had 3 tallboys yesterday, didn't sleep hardly at all and today I've only had 3 Miller Lite 16s when I've felt really bad. I'm going to try to sleep tonight sober and see if just due to fatigue I can get some rest. I made an appointment with the V.A for Jan 4 so hopefully they can check out my liver and make sure I haven't done anything permanent. I just get so worked up when my anxiety hits that I do the dumbest thing possible and get on google and hear about young people dying at 27-28 and what not from cirhossis and that just makes my anxiety worse. Never done any other drugs but I realize that if I keep on going like I've been doing then I DEFINITELY WILL hurt myself permanently. Thanks again guys I really just appreciate having people to talk to that have been through this.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck! Stay sober. The first 10 days are the hardest but every day will get easier and you will feel more powerful as you build up your sober muscles.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Gixxerman - SR is a great place for the support you need. Post here often and keep us posted on your progress
Old 12-24-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Gixxerman!!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR gixxerman01

Like others have said we simply can;t answer those kinds of questions because everyone's different, and we're not Dr's anyway.

Are you planning to see your own Dr?

D
Old 12-24-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you decide to talk to your dr.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gixxerman! Visit often... Glad to see you're giving yourself the gift of a lifetime.