Notices

This one last drug of mine....

Old 12-23-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
Yes, wayyyyy tooo much java here as well! Working now on elimination of processed sugar, an alcoholics worst eatable.......really nasty stuff!

Thanks for the caffeine reminder!
FlyNBuy, I'm curious how you got to thinking about eliminating the processed sugar? It was always curious to me in the book Living Sober, I think it was, that they say alcoholics should eat something sweet and drink coffee if they are craving alcohol. Are you in OA, if you don't mind me asking, or did you just decide to give up processed sugar on your own? I've found that I have sometimes treated sugar like a "drug", too.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am currently addicted to caffeine too. I get withdrawal headaches almost daily and have started taking Excedrin, which is causing terrible heartburn and stomach pains. I'm at home through Christmas, this is a good time to wean...

Let's do this!
Old 12-23-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
well.... it's less about bravery and more about acceptance.

I'm tired of having heartburn. I'm tired of anxiety. I'm tired of feeling more winded than I should be during a workout. I'm tired of sweaty palms, nervousness, over-active sweat glands and soaking through shirts when I am experiencing heightened social anxiety. I'm tired of sleep problems and irritable bowels. I'm tired of pretending to myself that excessive caffeine consumption isn't a part of all this.

The idea of NOT drinking coffee really stinks. I really enjoy coffee and even moreso the social aspect of it. It's an experience and a ritual that brings me together with friends. Hmm... again... all of these same statements were statements I made about alcohol....

Anyway, I do hope that unlike alcohol I can find a way to moderate. But I'm to the point that if I am unable, then this last drug also has to go. It's not worth it. I'm tired of accepting negative health and life consequences for the sake of any drug.
FreeOwl--thank you for being so honest and writing this. I could have written in myself. Good luck on your journey as you decide what to do about the caffeine. Hang in there during the withdrawal. It gets better.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Folgers has "Half Caff", which has half the caffeine. I drank it for years. If you are trying to wean off, or reduce your intake, it has just enough to know you've had some. And, it doesn't have that nasty decaf taste.