Notices

Alcoholics at Christmas

Old 12-21-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Alcoholics at Christmas

Christmas for Alcoholics and Addicts

These holiday times are tough for those who are trying to get into recovery. If you’re alone, you might think of all the past Christmases which were happier for you. If you’re not alone then being with others who are drinking is an obvious challenge.
What’s Christmas all about anyway? And when I was drinking why did I drink? These days, if we believe the ads, Christmas is all about giving presents to our loved ones.! Sometimes presents we can’t afford for those who have too many gifts, sometimes to make up for the guilt of a divorce. Or to show that the giver is such a nice person. But suppose one of my kids or grandchildren might find another kid, even an unknown child, who didn’t have many gifts and might give that kid something to make Christmas a little better.
Which gets me the second question. What are we here for anyway? What’s the “meaning” of it all? Why did I drink? Did I think that drinking gave me a sense of “meaning”? Yes! If a buzz, a momentary respite from stress, loneliness or frustration, or even a brief sleep, constitute “meaning”. A feeling that things are “all right” for an hour or two, even though the aftermath would usually not be “all right”.
What’s a better way to find some meaning, find a bit of “all right”? What are we here for anyway? What are we doing here? Those who believe in a God may feel that they have been “sent” to make the earth and its people a little better, happier place. And those who doubt or deny the existence of any “God”, or even any “spiritual” life, may still feel better if they reach out and say to another human being, “Tell me! What can I do to make it a little better for you? I am here. Even if the universe has no “meaning”, even if what passes for “reality”is indifferent, uncaring, I am here for you. Despite everything else, everyone else, we care for one another. Let us join hands and go together into the night or, if there be something else, into the sunlight of tomorrow.”
Would that be “meaning” without the buzz, without the hangover, without loneliness?

W.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very existential. I've been having the "what's it all for?" thoughts lately. I have no answer. I do know my life is better now that I've started ignoring the messages that life is better with alcohol mixed in.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't really celebrate Christmas so I often remind myself that it is just another day. This time of year can be quite lonely even though I have supportive friends. I will be around to chat on Christmas day if anyone is lonely or struggling. I find I feel better when I have support and community and am helping others and I try not to over think it anymore. It can be as simple or as complicated as I make it.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post wpainterw. A lot of food for thought. Thank you.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Many years back I had a bad experience around Christmas. It's usually a bad time of year for me. I'm determined that as I am spending time with friends this year, it will be less difficult. As I'm still struggling, I'm not 100% sure what to recommend. I'm just another person who understands I guess.