Notices

Remembering Day 1

Old 12-20-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remembering Day 1

We all have our own ways to attempt to maintain our sobriety for the present day.

Not sure how many people share this thought to help their recovery but I've been remembering my day 1 lately.

I don't dwell on it, but just do a quick recall on how I felt physically, mentally and emotionally. The instant guilt that came over me because I knew better. Knowing something inside was going to compel me to face everyone with the news about my continued drinking at some point. The disappointment, all of those things, just in a quick flashback.

In doing that I'm also well aware that changing my past actions is impossible. Doing all that I must to not repeat those actions today is all I can do.

I go to meetings when I can, thank the power that is watching over me for helping me try to do to the right thing, come on this site when able, whatever I believe can help me and others out.

We are all gonna make mistakes in life. Just gotta trying to make fewer of them if we can I guess. Easier said than done. But it is doable if we try.

Thankful for this site.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Which day 1?
You're right though, remembering those days (I keep a journal) is part of my toolbox. I do have several dozen day 1's though.

KP
Old 12-20-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

I saw a guy with a shirt that said "F**k Day 1" and so I approached him and asked him if it meant what I thought it did...he said it did indeed and that he wore it on days he struggles...to remind him he hates Day 1 and never wants to see it again! BRILLIANT!
Old 12-20-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good reminder of why were doing what were doing

#Sober
Old 12-20-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this. I do something similar when I have cravings. I remember how I felt right before I quit for good. I Remember how powerless I felt and the shame and lies I was so buried in. I remember the stomach pains and the heart palpitations and how I literally felt like I was dying. Drinking made me do crazy things... I remember how I used to inspect the color of my poop to see if it was showing signs of liver/pancreas failure.

Remembering these things remind me that drinking will never make any of my problem better or easier to deal with. Thank god I don't have to feel the way I used to when I was drinking ever again.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definitely a good reminder to not forget day 1. Such a horrible day it always is and I don't want to be back there again. Ever!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Most definitely this for me - the place I went to that day is one I cannot return to - EVER.